Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xb 2002 motor height?

Just picked up a 2002 and im getting ready to hang a 99 200hp merc with a standard lower. Need advice for a starting motor height and prop.

2. Member
    Cone the lower right off the bat. The light Allison's drive way better with the motor higher. Then go even to 1/4" above

3. Member
    The motor is just to get me through the rest of the season. I have a line on a 225x that will be available this winter.

4. Member
    TTT

5. Member
    You are gunna want to be plenty deep with a standard lower. Start low and bring it up until you start losing water pressure. At that point you can either fill the top 2 holes on the case (allows for higher engine heights without going with lower water pickup and still keep water pressure). I don't know an actual height, but I would bet your propshaft is gunna have to be at least 2" below. It will handle so much better once you get a lwp, standard case feels like dragging an anchor.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info JCSmile. I have a set of merc high speed stainless PU ears that bolt through the pickup holes that allow for a little higher mounting and improved water pressure.

7. Member
    Anyone else have experience with this lower on a 2002? Any additional advise would be great and shorted the set up process.

8. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    You have already been given the best advice since there is nothing else you can do with a stock non surfacing gearcase.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fwfd535 View Post
    Anyone else have experience with this lower on a 2002? Any additional advise would be great and shorted the set up process.
    I don't think the 200 will get you there, but just be easy with trim and throttle at first. Blowout could be an issue if you get up into the 80mph+ range without a cone to lengthen the gearcase.

10. Member
    I would assume he will have to be very careful about blowout.

I little 200 took my xb21 past 80.
    It took my xb2003 past 90 light and solo
    With the right lower unit, prop, motor height And seattime. I assume it will push that boat deep into the 90s once his ducks are in a row

11. Member
    I will nnot be trying to push it past 80mph, just want it to ride and handle well. Anyone have a little prop help?

12. Moderator
    It's not going to handle well with the stock unit no matter what prop or height you run.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    It's not going to handle well with the stock unit no matter what prop or height you run.
    Allison boats are difficult enough to learn to drive when set up correctly. Attempting to learn how to drive one with a known poor component is asking for trouble. Just my opinion, of course.

I sure as heck wouldn't let that keep me from boating. Put something like a trophy on it, run it deep and make sure you have plenty of water pressure and don't try for any crazy numbers with it. I've ran a 2003 with a stock gearcase well into the 70s and didn't experience anything that I heard about doing that.

Once you get your 225x on with a good gearcase, then the setup begins.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

bullet trophy??? really only you!!! lol
    xb-21 prosport 225 pro xs

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skewby View Post
    bullet trophy??? really only you!!! lol
    That's for sure, but it only runs around 85........................

17. Member
    Obviously it won't run 100mph but there is no reason you can't go fishing. My sporty was junk so I ran a stock case for a while. It ran fine with the motor down low until I got it fixed. Just keep it deep enough so you have water pressure.

catfish the ol bullet 's not as fun anymore, it used to be easy to stir him up talking about his trophy
    xb-21 prosport 225 pro xs

Trophy is what's on the boat right now (and still not for sale :)! Hard to beat it!
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    Trophy is what's on the boat right now (and still not for sale :)! Hard to beat it!
    That's what she said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast