Thumbs down No parts for my 2009 etec?

So i have a blown piston on my 2009 200 H.O... contacted a mechanic, he contacted his parts supplier and hey said Evinrude has a patent on their parts and only Evinrude dealers can have parts and work on engines that are 10 years or younger... isnt that weird? The guy I contacted is a BRP/Evinrude certified mechanic not some joe blow...

So with my 2009 that has less then 300 hours on it my only option is to pay the big price on parts :( hopefully i dont need a new powerhead!
    Nitro z20 2021 with 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke serial # 3B010400

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Your boy must be on the crack. You can get them online all day from plenty of online line parts houses. Make sure you use OEM parts. www.marineengine.com has them plug your model number in and you'll see what you can order or not.

3. Member
    I checked, no OEM parts available.. only some are available in the Sierra brand

4. Member
    after looking some more... some of the parts like pistons are available in OEM... but you cant get a complete rebuild with all OEM parts

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You are correct there isn't an OEM rebuild kit, but your tech needs to be clever and order the parts individually but in the quantity needed.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtTricks View Post
    after looking some more... some of the parts like pistons are available in OEM... but you cant get a complete rebuild with all OEM parts
    Buy what you need in OEM parts if that is what you want and then buy aftermarket parts if OEM stuff is not available. When OEM and aftermarket parts are not available then you sometimes have to use used/serviceable parts taken from dismantled motors. Sometimes it is best simply to cut ties with an older blown motor and move on to something newer.

You might try contacting Chris Carson marine. I would imagine you could ship him your failed power plant and he can repair and return it in "like new" condition. A rebuild shop will be able to source parts a lot more readily than can a dealers mechanic.

http://www.chriscarsonmarine.com/

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Your boy must be on the crack. You can get them online all day from plenty of online line parts houses. Make sure you use OEM parts. www.marineengine.com has them plug your model number in and you'll see what you can order or not.
    You ever notice that folks who can't find parts, and want help finding them, then complain when you give them a source of supply but the price is too high?

New OEM parts are apparently wanted at salvage shop prices.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    In the end of the game you may be better off with a reman power head.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    You might try contacting Chris Carson marine. I would imagine you could ship him your failed power plant and he can repair and return it in "like new" condition. A rebuild shop will be able to source parts a lot more readily than can a dealers mechanic.

http://www.chriscarsonmarine.com/
    Shipping may kill him as he is in Quebec Canada.

10. Member
    I brought my engine at a platine certified evinrude dealership...he will give me an estimate on monday... lets see what happens... I also called evinrude they said tht my dealer will possibly get a deal on parts from them since my engine was bough new in 2010 and should not be blown... I guess it is not good for evinrude's reputation to have a motor with 238 hours on it that blew up.

11. Member
    BRP do offer good after warranty support but the simple facts are the root cause of this failure will need to be determined and cured. An outboard of this age and hours unlikely failed due to faulty component or workmanship. Have they done the required boat's fuel system checks using the test equipment made available to dealers by BRP?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtTricks View Post
    I brought my engine at a platine certified evinrude dealership...he will give me an estimate on monday... lets see what happens... I also called evinrude they said tht my dealer will possibly get a deal on parts from them since my engine was bough new in 2010 and should not be blown... I guess it is not good for evinrude's reputation to have a motor with 238 hours on it that blew up.
    Huh? That motor is 8 plus years old and has over 200 hours. Just how old should they go back...10 years?? If you bought new, you would have warranty, but it's damn hard to justify this on a 2009 motor. If you talk to them nice, they might be a little helpful, but posting things like this kills any chance of that.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    Huh? That motor is 8 plus years old and has over 200 hours. Just how old should they go back...10 years?? If you bought new, you would have warranty, but it's damn hard to justify this on a 2009 motor. If you talk to them nice, they might be a little helpful, but posting things like this kills any chance of that.
    I totally agree. With all due respect, it's fairly egocentric and short-sighted to think that complex mechanical devices, subject to 7-8 years of who knows what, should nevertheless be 100% reliable and, failing that, be extended free warranty twice beyond the original terms. I get that the OP is disappointed, and in all likelihood he believes he's done absolutely everything right in caring for his motor. But some things (ethanol based degradation of parts being one) are beyond everyone's control. Throwing Evinrude immediately under the bus in this situation is just wrong.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio