Thread: FLARED BARREL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FLARED BARREL

CAN someone explain effects of a flared barrel on a prop vs non flared and differences the length of barrel make

2. Member
    A flared barrel, especially on props that are surfaced, provide a lot of stern lift, but can drive the bow down on some boats. Barrel length doesn't have a lot of affect unless too short where it can make a prop blow out, or surge on holeshot.

3. Member
    I just bought a BRAVO 1 LT and I thought it would give more stern lift but like u said it drove the bow down, I could get it to lift but needed lots of trim. I have cut 1 inch off of barrel and wll retry also I had to add 4 more pvs holes as it would not vent enough with just 4

4. Member
    I hope you can holeshot OK. (it can surge badly with too much flare cut off)1" is a lot off the barrel. Normally, about half an inch is all you should go. Trim response will be noticeably better.

5. Member
    That flare does more than provide stern lift it keeps the exhaust gas away from the blade and reduces prop slippage.

An extended barrel length does cause some stern lift. However it doesnt allow ventilation to the blade tips on hole shot like a flared barrel does.

My boat will slip and blow out on break over with a straight barrel but will not slip or blow out with a flared barrel. No feathering with a flair, jut mash and go.
    20 XD 250 PRO XB

8. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbulletman View Post
    My boat will slip and blow out on break over with a straight barrel but will not slip or blow out with a flared barrel. No feathering with a flair, jut mash and go.
    i believe this has more to do with the prop...straight barrel props are usually over/thru exhaust. A trophy will blow out on holeshot since there's too much venting going over the blades and thru the hub. A flared prop, like a Bravo, is strictly a thru hub exhaust prop...meaning no venting is going over the blades other than thru the PVS holes, so they wont blowout/slip on holeshot. Man i miss that XB i had...
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

9. Member
    I will test it tomorrow and post my results

I have a straight barrel razor 4 that would blowout on breakover. I had the straight cut off and a flair welded on and had nothing else done to it and the blowout was eliminated . Same pvs configuration too.
    20 XD 250 PRO XB

Check this out.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

The flare is actually an exhaust diffuser.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

13. Member
    well I ran the prop and like yall said it surges coming up on plane even blocked off some of the pvs holes still did it, but on the positive side prop was 2.5 mph faster with a 200 rpm gain so removing the flare and long tube did make a difference, now I guess im gonna have to get a extension welded but I want it to have no flare.

14. Member
    Let Croxton add some of the extension back. Make the total length about 7/16" shorter than stock, and the surging should go away, while maintaining trim response.

15. Member
    Hoping to bring this thread back.

My 22p Tempest blows out (loses bite) at break over while trimming from the tucked to trimmed out positions. Doesn't matter if I tuck less, trim up slowly, trim up quickly... blow out. Drives me NUTS because after it does eventually hook up under trim and power it stays hooked up and runs right to the 5800 wot rpm of my Merc 150 4S 1.92 gear with good top speed. Mark Croxton balanced it and added tip cup and it made little to no improvement on the break over issue. He seemed stumped. I lowered the PTP by an inch did not help the blowout. The Tempest barrel is not perfectly straight looks like but has a very small flare.

I also have a 23p Bravo 1 FS that has no blowout at break over... like Donavan says trim and go. I realize my Bravo has an extra blade and more diameter, but a Tempest has good diameter, blade area and cupping.

Is the lack of barrel flare the problem with the Tempest? Are there 3-blade bow lifters with flared barrels? Can Mark or another prop guys add flare?

The Bravo is good on my boat but prolly not ideal. I can only run mid- to upper 50s so I really don't get bow lift from stuffing high velocity air under the hull. My hull also does not have any lifting strakes or other hull features to add lift. I run out of water pressure at 3.25-3.5" PTP. The Bravo is better on a faster bass boat with lower water pickups so it can run high and let the oncoming rush of wind and hull do most of the lifting. I think my hull will do better with a 3-blade prop at the right pitch, cupping and PTP will work harder to lift the bow making steering lighter, all-condition handling better. I already have a 6" setback plate which is about as much as others run on my hull.
    Last edited by Johnnyred; 11-17-2023 at 05:40 AM.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

I have a solas scorpion to try . They have high rake blades and should have a bunch of bow lift.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    I have a solas scorpion to try
    Larry, I assume you mean you are going to try a Scorpion on your own boat and not that you offering it to others to try?

Yes. It tried a bravo and it lifts the stern too much . Tempest work ok but needs more bow lift (think due to lithium) Hope the solas works
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Yes. It tried a bravo and it lifts the stern too much . Tempest work ok but needs more bow lift (think due to lithium) Hope the solas works
    Good luck with the Scorpion, Larry. Report back. As it turns out I ordered a 21p Scorpion today. I will update as well.

20. Member
    Scorpion props are good for bow lift but usually run 1-2 pitches stiff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast