Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar

Got a tow vehicle, now on to the 5th wheel

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=829239

2014 F250. 6.2. Already has the B&W Turnover Ball installed.

Andersen Ultimate hitch or Companion slider? The Ultimate sure seems sweet. Reviews are that it tows smoother, and my wife could take it in and out of the truck. Just can't get over the idea that there is going to be pressure on the bed when towing. Wish they had something to mount to the pucks.

5th wheel -- Looking at the 8500-9200lb class. 30-ish feet long. Rear living with recliners and couch and prefer an island kitchen. Some we've liked are the Rockwood 8288WSA and 8289WS, Keystone Cougar 29 or 30 RLI and 28SGS Any likes/dislikes?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

2. Member
    We just bought a used 38' Heartland Landmark Augusta and I had a B&W turnover already in the truck so I bought the Companion from the folks we bought the 5er from. I was advised on many forums to stay away from Keystones due to quality issues. They are good looking rigs though.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

3. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I like the layout of the Rockwood 8288WSA. I absolutely must have a straight shot at the television while sitting in a recliner. No sitting at a crooked angle and or looking over a dinette to a caddy cornered TV. Our prior lightweight 5th wheel had a TV and couch that were 90 degrees to each other and it was misery trying to watch a show with the wife because of the viewing angle.

Good luck!

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    I like the layout of the Rockwood 8288WSA. I absolutely must have a straight shot at the television while sitting in a recliner. No sitting at a crooked angle and or looking over a dinette to a caddy cornered TV. Our prior lightweight 5th wheel had a TV and couch that were 90 degrees to each other and it was misery trying to watch a show with the wife because of the viewing angle.

Good luck!
    Could not agree more! I'm not a huge TV watcher, but if I do I want to be comfortable and we've closed the door on many RVs because of bad layout
    nothing else matters.​

5. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Could not agree more! I'm not a huge TV watcher, but if I do I want to be comfortable and we've closed the door on many RVs because of bad layout
    Bad layouts trumps everything, I don't care how many gadgets or whatever the trailer has. Our ultralight 5th wheel had two pocket doors and entertainment cabinet between the main living area and the bedroom. The pocket doors were narrow and you'd almost have to turn sideways to get through them in addition to stepping down. The bathroom was in the rear of the trailer. Just overall a bad layout. I hated it. Despised it.

6. Member
    Had a Keystone 29, no more Keystone product for me.

I've got a coachman bumper pull that his been great for 2 years now so you might check out the coachman chapparal line. I found one recently called the Cherokee Artic Wolf from forest river that looks really awesome for the price.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Ended up with a Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. Perfect layout. Good quality. Only complaint is a small awning. Bought a used 2014 and feel like we got a very good deal. 2 ACs and virtually all the equipment and supplies included.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Ended up with a Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. Perfect layout. Good quality. Only complaint is a small awning. Bought a used 2014 and feel like we got a very good deal. 2 ACs and virtually all the equipment and supplies included.
    Cat Fan, I love that layout man!! It's practically the same layout as my Cameo 33RL except I have a closet where the head of your bed is located.

10. Member
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

11. Member
    Very nice! You are going to be watching more tv than you think. Our living area is laid out exactly the same and I've slept many of hours in the recliner. LOL We just can't do the queen bed and corner shower.