lake onalaska, wi

Im heading up to lake onalaska,wi the first time next weekend. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to fish? Ive heard the spillway, and grass flats but ive never been up there. North end, south end, etc? We are staying in a cabin on the lake so if i can figure the bass out ill be happy. I know i could always go run the river but the point for me is to fish the lake. If anyone could give me any pointers on where to start would be the best. Im not trying to get your waypoints or anything. Just being on a new body of water and looking to stay safe as well. Any boating areas to avoid, etc. My hds8 has the contour lines, but i dont like to trust them in a new lake. If you guys can help out at all id greatly appreciate it. I can break down patterns and structure as far as fishing. Just need to know where to go and where to avoid. Thanks all!!!

2. Member
    I generally fish pool 8 out of La Crosse but have fished the lake a few times. This time of year there is a lot of vegetation throughout the lake. Its very shallow in a lot of spots 3-7ft. I had a lot of blowups the week of the fourth on frogs in 5 fow or so. Be careful if you fish near the spillway as there can be a lot of current and a bass boat went over it this spring and nearly sank. A guy just died at the Tremp spillway a few weeks ago. The main channel is a lot better this time of year for me at least. Im not sure if your map card will show the depth on the lake. I have lakemaster and it does not. you can launch at shavers landing which is a free launch at the north side of the lake. Get there early though as parking is minimal. best bet if you want to catch some numbers is a frog and a swim jig in any decent cover there could be a decent school nearby. Another thing is if you are coming on the 22nd, there is a BFL launching from La Crosse and I would imagine a decent number of guys will be locking up. Good luck and lets hear how it goes!

3. Member
    Im coming up the 29th. Yeah im kinda chasing the frog bite up river. I usually fish pool 11 & 12. Im staying at cozy corners resort if that means anything as far as location. They suggested schaffers landing?? Its all new to me which is why i asked here. Is the north or south end better? Also is there any channel marked inside or is it not safe water for running wot? Im excited about it and hopin for the best. Is it open enough to get from deep within the lake to the main river? If all else fails ill go lookin for smallies. Haha. Thanks a lot for the reply jeff. At least i got a start. :)

4. Member
    Yes Shafer's is the landing I meant. for the short amount I fished the lake last I was getting bit right near the landing in the pads and grass. You can get to the main channel from the landing pretty easily. There is no marked channel though. If you head southeast from the landing down toward the spillway and then head west near the power poles that are in the middle of the lake would be the easiest I think. There wasn't much in the way of grass or weeds. You could run wot through nearly any part the lake but you'll have to keep the grass off your motor its pretty thick right now. If you are familiar with other pools you shouldn't have much trouble finding fish!

5. Member
    Perfect. Thanks. Yeah im usually out down here 2 or 3 times a week. So i should be able to figure them out somewhat. Lol. Lakes screw me up worse.

6. Member