Thread: Leak down test

Leak down test

I'm wanting to perform a leak down test on my 225 EFI. I have looked at the testers on the Internet and they range in price $35-200. I'm wondering if the cheaper ones will do the job. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Member
    I got a Balzy set recommended by Jay Smith years ago. Gauges are big and works well. Don't know if he makes them anymore but it's a nice set if u can find.

I haven't seen Mike advertise one in a while.

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...ak+Down+Tester
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    I got a leak down tester and tried to do the test. I tried and tried but it keeps turning the crankshaft. I left the spark plugs in,put it at TDC. Also tried with it in gear. What's the secret?

225efi S/N OT467894
    Last edited by Catch 1; 08-06-2017 at 05:10 PM.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch 1 View Post
    I got a leak down tester and tried to do the test. I tried and tried but it keeps turning the crankshaft. I left the spark plugs in,put it at TDC. Also tried with it in gear. What's the secret?

225efi S/N OT467894
    One is a breaker bar with a socket on the flywheel nut. Slowly add a bit of pressure to the cylinder. Turn the breaker bar to raise the piston to the top dead center position. You will know it when the effort to turn the breaker bar ceases. Then hold the breaker bar while air pressure is raised to whatever value you are using.

Did I say to hold onto the breaker bar?

In airplanes they use the propeller to do what the breaker bar does. Woe be unto he who does not hold onto the propeller.

Ideally you lock the flywheel with a flywheel locking tool adapted to bolt to the engine. But, I think a few strategically placed piston stops could do the trick too if they were placed in adjacent cylinders that were close to rotating up to TDC.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885