Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    i really wish that the state would require EVERYONE to complete a boater safety class before using the public waterways.
    Virginia over the last few years has phased in a boaters safety course that now Anyone operating any power boat with over a 10 hp motor must have in their possession a completed boater safety registration card.
    I know it still does not get rid of all the idiots but it does at least make an attempt to educate the boating public concerning the rules of the road.

I have a canoe and it would be considered a very rare occasion that I would be operating such a craft in waters where large boats and bass boats would be operating much less be operating at high speeds. I use the canoe to get into smaller quiet waters where the big boats do not go. I also am retired so I avoid all waterways on weekends and holidays when it is crazy and packed and go during the week when I almost have the water to myself.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 98ram View Post

If you come across a kayak and it is off to one side or the other, just go on by.

Hell NO! This is BBC and that kayaker is likely to lob his 3oz weight at my head or pull his pistol on me and shoot holes into my boat.

3. Member
    this one is tough........ come to center hill any day of the week and the big wake boats are out there, can be monday of thursday ........but show up on the weekend ???? its not in you favor. we all want to give them respect they are due , but i dont fish my 8 ft plastic boat on the weekends here !!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    pedestrians have the "right of way" as well,doesnt mean you stand in the middle of the F'n street!there are more 'yakers,SUP,as well as powered boat users than ever here and so many of them have no clue/care anyone else uses the public waterways except them!there are three lakes big lakes in my area that have seen a HUGE surge in use now that every one who moves DOWN here thinks they should purchase and use watercraft with no experience whatsoever!i really wish that the state would require EVERYONE to complete a boater safety class before using the public waterways.
    So more government regulation when it works for you eh....
    thought bbc hated government regulation and fees...

5. Member
    I always slow just to avoid hostile confrontations when I see them. Sometimes you can't see them, I'd hate to hit one.

6. Member
    I never really considered kayakers much of an issue until I built a jet-jon and started running a small local river. The biggest problem I had was running downstream where I had to run faster than the current to steer, one time I had a lady playing in her kayak at the bottom of a long riffle right in a 90 degree bend in the river, I was already committed in the riffle so when I hit the 90 degree bend she ended up the recipient of a large wake and a fire hydrant stream of jet powered water to her face. In my defense I was waving them off the whole time, but apparently drunk kayakers move slowly. When in my bass boat I do try to steer clear of the paddlers but they seem to be everywhere around here nowadays
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

7. Member
    In other words you didnt have enough control of your boat to avoid another boater. You're both lucky.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    this one is tough........ come to center hill any day of the week and the big wake boats are out there, can be monday of thursday ........but show up on the weekend ???? its not in you favor. we all want to give them respect they are due , but i dont fish my 8 ft plastic boat on the weekends here !!!
    Ain't that the truth. I was on Centerhill last weekend and it looked like the ocean in places with all of the huge waves.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

9. Member
    I kayak and boat. Kayaking, I always have a tall flag with a coast guard approved light on top. Also there's usually 2or 3 fishing rods sticking up in the air. My mistake was buying a camouflage kayak. (Not sure what I was thinking.) But it's 13 feet long and has a high seat. I stand 75% of the time and wear a bright yellow pfd. Had close calls with ski boats because the driver watches instead of drives. Sometimes you have to paddle across the main channel to fish a spot, that's the way it is. Lakes are crowded and it's going to get worse. Kayaks are cheap, (or cost thousands). SUPs are popular. Kayak bass tournaments are popping up everywhere. People trade up for new boats every year making the used boats more affordable putting more bass boats on the water adding to fishing pressure. We've all just got to be careful and respect each other because it's only going to get more crowded.

It should be a law that all kayaks have to have lights at night and a big orange triangular flag flying at the back of their... YAK ����������
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

11. Banned
    Kayaks are entitled to go anywhere they want on the water. Just because you have a go fast boat doesn't mean "everyone" should get out of "your" way.
    The OP did the right thing, even if they did not understand why he did it. I did the exact same thing last Monday to a boat fishing the Fox River Channel opening to Winnebago Lake. They flipped me off and waved their arms. Oh well if I came down off plane I would have bounced them out if the boat.

12. Member
    What annoys me the most is when you get off plane and come to an idle to pass them and they paddle like hell staying in front of you and next to you longer than if they just stopped paddling for a moment so you could idle by and get back on plane.

Had one that was paddling like crazy crazy and I could t pass idling for a good bit. Said the heck with it and got on step. Idiots

13. Member
    Where I'm at, there's only a couple lakes within 2 hours drive that allow power boats, so on weekends EVERYONE is at the lake. I'm talking an 800 acre lake with 50-60 boats on it. Not much room for anything. And then there's the kayaks and the SUPs. They paddle out to the middle of the skiing/tubing lane and then get mad at people passing them. The worst was this woman who, on a windy day no less, was laying down, suntanning on her SUP. I had to turn pretty hard to avoid her because she was hiding in the waves and barely visible. It's tragic that they don't think about self-preservation over their own elitist attitude.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

14. Member
    I try to avoid them all the time. Sometimes it is near impossible and someone ends up getting wet or waked. There are a few navigable rivers near me which are more than crazy on a nice weekend. One of the funniest things I saw was a kayaker flipping-off a barge captain when he barely made it in front of the barges!

15. Member
    Ever thought about just slowing to an actual idle if there isn't a better way to go around them? It takes maybe 15 seconds of your time.

I don't always do it if I can pass with enough distance, but if I see a kid I always slow down.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234