Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed409 View Post
    I fish out of a kayak frequently. It's a lot more fun than you probably think gents.. Kayakers deserve the same respect as anyone out on the water but I never expect anyone to slow down for me. I do expect people to keep a safe distance. I stay visible and out of the way when traveling. Kayak fisherman seem to be in a different class than the run of the mill pleasure kayaker. The clueless sightseer is always the one that seems to not understand etiquette.
    I agree!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I don't have a problem with kayakers. I own one, but when your in a 50'+ wide creek and say fishing the port side and four kayakers come through and see you casting that bank and instead of going behind you and around, they squeeze through where your casting. Now kayak, boat or wading, that ticks me off. No respect. Where's the etiquette?
    Absolutely
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

3. Member
    I fish fresh and saltwater and the coast guard, pilot boats, homeland security and crew boats don't slow down because you are fishing. There are a lot of people that don't understand that if you are running on plane you don't have much of a wake. It gets me that people will plow through the water thinking they are doing you a favor. You try to wave to them and let them know to continue running on plane and they just don't get it. I normally will try and idle by someone if they are reasonably close to me, but there are sometimes when that isn't possible. I assume that some of the kayakers don't ocean fish, try telling the ocean to quit putting out waves so you can go out fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by grimsbylander View Post
    I'll probably start a war but...kayakers are like the cyclists of the lake. They wave their arms and holler at you because you're going too fast, too close, too big a wake, blah, blah and they break rules non friggin stop or use zero common sense. Just like on the road...make sure you legally accommodate the cyclist so at the next light or stop sign they can shoot past you on the curb side and blow through without stopping.

not starting a war.......I am a cyclist and running a red light on a road bike is just plain wrong.

I ride in bike lanes and the proper place. I also pla close attention, because being right doesn't make you any less dead.....

as for kyakers........I'll slow down when I see them, but they need to pay attention too and not be in places that put the, at danger.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I don't have a problem with kayakers. I own one, but when your in a 50'+ wide creek and say fishing the port side and four kayakers come through and see you casting that bank and instead of going behind you and around, they squeeze through where your casting. Now kayak, boat or wading, that ticks me off. No respect. Where's the etiquette?
    They must have relatives that live up this way...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    They must have relatives that live up this way...
    Out this way too, kayakers and SUPs are the worst offender for this type of stuff. Was fishing a small lake casting towards shore which was about 50' away. This kayaker was in the middle of the channel and as she gets close to my boat, does a 90degree turn towards shore and paddles in-between my boat and shore then just stops and stares at us. There was absolutely no reason for it either (no other boats we're in the bay except for a few other kayakers who were with this lady). She was so close to us that Neither me or my fiance could pitch weedbeds without hitting her kayak.

I gave her the "wtf lady?" Hand jesture and after she stared at us for a good 30sec more she said " you know you have to cater to the kayakers and be more courteous to us and you need to move away from us whenever we get close. I live on the lake I can go wherever I want"... So i mentioned to her i wasn't on the trolling motor when she cut us off and she had to go out of her way to make sure we can't fish. Then she just stared again, accused me of supporting Clinton and went on her way.

They do have the right of way when the big motor is on but respect and etiquette is a two way street.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    It does piss me off when small boats are essentially invisible and don’t have minimum safety equipment (like running lights when it’s dusk), and when they paddle right over my line while fishing when it’s perfectly easy and not even out of the way to go around, or when they park on the ramp taking up 2 spots and sit there for 20 minutes making 16 trips to load up gear piece by piece when they could easily leave room for others. On the flip side, if people are driving up a small creek and come around a bend and can’t stop in time because there’s a kayak in the channel—you’re not driving safely, that's your fault not theirs. As others said, respect goes in both directions. At least in my state it’s against the law to drive more than 5mph past a small craft if you’re less than 200 feet away, and there is also a 200’ buffer from shore. People break this law all the time but it essentially means if a creek or river isnt 400’ wide there’s a 5mph speed limit anyway.

This is what the law says in VT:
    Title 23, section 3311 (c)(1), states:
    A person shall not operate any vessel, except a sailboard or a police or emergency vessel, within 200 feet
    of the shoreline, a person in the water, a canoe, rowboat, or other vessel, an anchored or moored vessel
    containing any person, or anchorages or docks, except at a speed of less than five miles per hour which
    does not create a wake.

8. Banned
    U would think if u were fishing out of a kayak u would want to go were normal boats can't go and find some fish that are not pressured??

9. Member
    The kayak is bringing new people into the sport of fishing and compared to looking at a phone all day long I really like the energy I see in the young guys. That said, I'm at a loss as well on what to do. I fish Okeechobee a great deal and the Rim canal that surrounds it. The canal is like 60 yards wide in most places and maybe 30 in others.

In low crowd periods, I slow down to idle in the canal for bass boats. In winter, this not practical so I go to far side of canal. The kayak guys tend to fish in groups on both sides of the canal giving me nothing but the middle and a choice of idle or plane. That is if I even see them in time.

Why we are on the subject. Many Florida bass fisherman like to set in a boat lane 150 yards outside of a lock and expect you to idle by. I even had one tournament boat acting like they owned the right to fish at the entry to a lock. Point is even some of us bassboat guys think it is "all about us". And we in general should know better as we are water experienced;;; right???
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Member
    I kayak and i fish, lots of comments about kayaks cutting them off etc.Same as jet skis .Most of them dont fish and dont realize they are doing something wrong .When im in my kayak on water that i share with boats i know there will be boat wakes , no big deal.
    Just give them as much room as you would another boat.

Clear Lake is a whole other beast! The lack of respect on the water between bass fishermen, whether kayak or boaters, is unreal!! I've had pros with full boat wraps come in on me and start fishing the dock I'm casting at even casting across my line!

12. Member
    Here is a good one for you.. I used to fish a weekly night tournament on the Winter Park Chain of lakes just north of Orlando Florida.. one night as I'm crossing the middle of one of the lakes heading to the 1am weigh-in I see a small flickering orangeish light ahead of me on the water. I thought is was a lighted bobber. So I slowed down some and turned the boat slightly so I wouldn't run it over. As I'm about to pass it I see it is actually a dumbass laying down on his paddle board crossing the lake. The light I was seeing was a small candle he had on the front of his paddle board. I immediately came off plane and chewed him out. He was actually yelling at me for almost running him over. Can you say clueless. I could of cut him in half.

Unless I'm fishing a Tournament and I'm running fast in the channel because of time limits I usually slow down to a no wake speed. I was raised to be courteous as I can be. Especially to folks in smaller vessels. I don't want big cruisers waking me when I'm fishing so I try be polite.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    Kayaks have the right of way unless:

1) I am not under power
    2) I am idling and not moving
    3) Have a big bag of fish with 5 mins to weigh in and 6 miles to go!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsbylander View Post
    I'll probably start a war but...kayakers are like the cyclists of the lake. They wave their arms and holler at you because you're going too fast, too close, too big a wake, blah, blah and they break rules non friggin stop or use zero common sense. Just like on the road...make sure you legally accommodate the cyclist so at the next light or stop sign they can shoot past you on the curb side and blow through without stopping.
    Ain't it the truth.

16. Member
    I'm an avid bass boater, but I'm not sure I understand where some comments are coming from in this thread. By law, any boat under power must yield the right of way to any boat being paddled or is in the act of sailing. It's not optional. Boats not under power also have just as much right to any waterway as we do. They can be inconvenient, but we don't take priority over them.
    Last edited by OwascoAngler; 07-20-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: typo
    Michael Breed

2017 Triton 189 TrX
    2017 Mercury Optimax Pro XS (150 HP)
    Minn Kota Fortrex 45" 80 lb.
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    6" Z-Lock Manual Jack Plate
    Lowrance Hook 7 (bow and dash)

17. Member
    pedestrians have the "right of way" as well,doesnt mean you stand in the middle of the F'n street!there are more 'yakers,SUP,as well as powered boat users than ever here and so many of them have no clue/care anyone else uses the public waterways except them!there are three lakes big lakes in my area that have seen a HUGE surge in use now that every one who moves DOWN here thinks they should purchase and use watercraft with no experience whatsoever!i really wish that the state would require EVERYONE to complete a boater safety class before using the public waterways.

18. Banned
    I've seen them trying to cross Table Rock, and they are really hard top see, someone is gonna die.

19. Member
    The safety thing is a no brainer. My gripe is with the etiquite. Im a respectful boater no matter what the craft. Safety first for me. My family loves to kayak. But they mostly stick to back waters and daylight. But respect goes both ways. Whether they have the right of way or not, we all have to watch out for each other. But i do still like swampin em. Haha

20. Member
    I kayak a lot. Wakes do not bother a kayak. It floats just like cork. Some of the hand waving and such some are getting aggravated about may actually be kayakers holding their paddle perpendicular to the water to make sure you see them, like a water skier does while waiting to be recovered. That is the advice you get when you start kayaking. When I cross the river that is at the mouth of our cove, I just look both ways to see if anybody is coming and if clear, get across. I do not kayak at after or near dark, but kayak life jackets have a pocket on the back to hold a flashlight.

If you come across a kayak and it is off to one side or the other, just go on by. They cannot catch you anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast