Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Gotta love when this yakers pull up to the ramp right before a tourney and begin to paddle out to the main lake and get dumped by all the boats taking off, then go complain about it! Smdh

2. Member
    This is hysterical. After all the complaining about cruiser wakes, wakeboarding boats, etc there seems to be a pecking order in who we don't care about on the water. I'm sure there's a wake boat forum somewhere saying "Don't you hate when those bassboat guys get mad when we go by and they're fishing? Screw them! They should fish somewhere else!"

3. Member
    Haha. Good point. Lol

4. Member
    I think there is 2 different type of kayakers we are talking about. Ones who fish and know the rules and "rec" users who don't give a crap

Had the same thing happened to me a few years ago and got into a huge argument with them. They waved there hands for me to slow down and being I knew what kind of roller i would leave i slowed down to a idle and pretty swamped them and the guy call me an azzhole so here we go. I told him the only reason that roller came though is because you told me to slow down. I tried to explain to him the faster I go the less wake I leave and thats why when im fishing and a boat goes to slow down i wave him on then he hammers it down. All of us bass boaters know this but the old bastered said i was full of shit so i backed my boat way back and trimmed it up then hammered and stood the nose straight up leaving a huge roller and told him he was number one when I went by him. Boy was he pissed but he was one the knew it all and thought sence he was in a kayak that he owned the water
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

6. Banned
    I see pics of a local guy kayaking in Lake Michigan for trout and salmon,I talking 100 fow! I have to think it's only a matter of time.

7. Member
    I think 25' on plane is plenty of room....
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Kayakers just before daylight scare me the most. What is the law about lights on a kayak?
    I talked to a kayaker at KY Lake a couple of months ago. He was getting ready for a tournament. They are allowed to trailer and launch/travel at any time even in the dark as long as they don't start fishing until the appointed hour. They are required to have lights, but I am not sure what kind. That being said, it is entirely possible to encounter one in the predawn hours traveling to his ledge fishing spot in the middle of the lake. Those folks have to have balls to do that.

They are hard to see at a distance. They look like a pile of floating debris...not taking that any further
    Last edited by csurp; 07-18-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    This is hysterical. After all the complaining about cruiser wakes, wakeboarding boats, etc there seems to be a pecking order in who we don't care about on the water. I'm sure there's a wake boat forum somewhere saying "Don't you hate when those bassboat guys get mad when we go by and they're fishing? Screw them! They should fish somewhere else!"
    Fair point.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

10. Member
    So so so this!!!
    thread here on "wakesetters" which are boats made by Malibu.
    They should ban all wakesetters, they are destroying the shoreline, blah blah blah blah

Hypocrites

11. Member
    Kayakers in the water? I only see them tying up the ramps.
    Please release me,let me go.

12. Member
    I kayak fish as well as boat fish. A kayak is just like any other vessel on the water. If it's dark it must have lights. I have a 5' pole with a white light,anchor light. And have a flag on it for daylight. Kayaking has exploded in the last few years . You can buy one for less then $200.00 at any of the big box store. That puts a lot of people on the water that have no idea what they are doing. All I ask is to give me respect if I'm fishing out of my kayak or fishing out of my boat.

13. Member
    Very good point. The only times I have been aggravated at a boat was a tug without a barge throwing a wave taller than my boat and a pilot boat running through the jetties out to sea. Both times were long straightaways with endless time to realize your wake would swamp some boats and slow down.

On the bass boat on plane there is no real wake. Pilot boats and tugboats don't plane they just push water out of the way.
    1995 Ranger 481VS Commanche
    1995 Mercury Blackmax 150 2.5L XRi

Fair and valid, just pull your damn kayaks off to the side of the ramp please, don't leave them sitting on the ramp while you grab your car... Public water, private water, makes no difference, lake associations deal with the same crap too...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

In the majority of states the only required light is to have a white light at the ready that can be shined to avoid a collision.

Its funny to listen to a lot of you make these comments on here. The fact is whether you like it or not you're responsible for your wake. If you run by and swamp someone in an unsafe manner causing damage or loss of gear you can be charged for it. That's why many folks do take videos or pics of boaters flying by in close proximity.

There's no place I shy away from fishing in my kayak. I'm a tournament angler just like many of you. I take the appropriate/required safety equipment with me and I keep my head on a swivel when fishing in trafficked waters.

16. Member
    I would have slowed down. Not because of the two that I saw but because of the one I may not have seen. They usually travel and packs and picking up multiples with your eyes quickly can be problematic.

I don't have a problem with kayakers. I own one, but when your in a 50'+ wide creek and say fishing the port side and four kayakers come through and see you casting that bank and instead of going behind you and around, they squeeze through where your casting. Now kayak, boat or wading, that ticks me off. No respect. Where's the etiquette?

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

18. Member
    I have a kayak and bass boat. I don't take my kayak out where boats are flying. It only takes one to not see you to make a bad day. My run in with a kayaker was around his 'trolling' I saw one go by and was headed with TM down toward a point about 100' behind him. He then gets pissed because I didn't see the over 100' of line trailing behind him. How in the world would I have been able to see the line or have thought it would be that far behind him?

19. Member
    I get a kick out of people on those stand-up paddleboards out on open water. Doesn't take much wake to dump one over.

20. Member
    I fish out of a kayak frequently. It's a lot more fun than you probably think gents.. Kayakers deserve the same respect as anyone out on the water but I never expect anyone to slow down for me. I do expect people to keep a safe distance. I stay visible and out of the way when traveling. Kayak fisherman seem to be in a different class than the run of the mill pleasure kayaker. The clueless sightseer is always the one that seems to not understand etiquette.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast