1973 Johnson 40EL-73D carburetor question

It appears that I'm missing a linkage and have a broken plastic lever on my carb. I can't figure it what it's for though. I have run it and though it's temperamental as I would expect a 40+ year old 2 stroke to be, it ran fine onceI got it wash and going a bit. Any idea what this is supposed to do? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    That explains why it's temperamental at low speeds... With that being said, it isn't impossible to drive at low speeds just not like a newer engine would run (I assume). It's probably a lot less efficient without this assembly, correct? Thanks for the link!

4. Member
    Will I be doing any damage running the engine without this assembly hooked up?

5. Member
    Anybody...?

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Low speed runability and economy will suffer at the minimum. May cause damage if runs lean for any length of time and if runs rich, may cause carbon/fouling issues. Who knows. If it has been like that for a long time, just run it if you are happy with a motor that doesn't run properly, especially low to mid range where most motors run most of the time. If it where mine, I would fix it but thats just me. Parts are cheap and that is a very good and durable motor.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Low speed runability and economy will suffer at the minimum. May cause damage if runs lean for any length of time and if runs rich, may cause carbon/fouling issues. Who knows. If it has been like that for a long time, just run it if you are happy with a motor that doesn't run properly, especially low to mid range where most motors run most of the time. If it where mine, I would fix it but thats just me. Parts are cheap and that is a very good and durable motor.
    I have the parts now (linkage and plastic lever), is there an online tutorial for setting it up/ensuring I have or running correctly?

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam lancia View Post
    I have the parts now (linkage and plastic lever), is there an online tutorial for setting it up/ensuring I have or running correctly?
    OMC factory service and repair manual for your motor. May be some videos or write up out there. I would just break down and invest in a manual if you plan to keep it. Sometimes the online tips and help are not so accurate......maybe one of the techs here can shed some light and help yah out.....

9. Member
    Gotcha, I appreciate it, thanks!