Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1995 javelin 400 tips

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and am seeking help. I have a 95 javelin 400t with a 225 johnson venom. I am running a 13.5 x 25p renegade prop. I'm not happy with my speed. Running foot on the floor trimmed all the way up I am only at about 58 mph. What could be causing this. Most people with this boat are runnin 70

Do you have a jack plate? How fresh is the prop? What are your max RPM's?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Do you have a jack plate? How fresh is the prop? What are your max RPM's?
    I have a power lift manual jackplate. And I'm not sure what my rpm's are. I know my water pressure at WOT is like 30

Okay, measure prop to pad and post up, you will want to be around 3.25 - 3.50" above. Find out what your max Rpm's are and post up. If everything is right you should be able to turn that prop to 5800 or so. Advance your throttle all the way using the shifter or the hotfoot whichever you have. Take off the air box and make sure the butter flies will open all the way up.
    Also, whats the prop look like and if not new it's hard to tell what's you really have going on. If your unsure of how true it is you may want to get it worked and put back into spec. These hulls need real good lift to run the best and I like a 25 Trophy or 25 Tempest on mine. I've never like the Renegade props as they don't give enough lift for these hulls.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    Okay, measure prop to pad and post up, you will want to be around 3.25 - 3.50" above. Find out what your max Rpm's are and post up. If everything is right you should be able to turn that prop to 5800 or so. Advance your throttle all the way using the shifter or the hotfoot whichever you have. Take off the air box and make sure the butter flies will open all the way up.
    Also, whats the prop look like and if not new it's hard to tell what's you really have going on. If your unsure of how true it is you may want to get it worked and put back into spec. These hulls need real good lift to run the best and I like a 25 Trophy or 25 Tempest on mine. I've never like the Renegade props as they don't give enough lift for these hulls.
    how do I check the air box? What are the butterflies? I will measure my prop tomorrow. Thank you for your help. This is my first boat and I'm wanting the performance that everyone else is getting.

Measure Prop to Pad. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=157208
    Don't check the air box, remove it. Take the cowling (cover) off the motor. In the front of it you will see a plastic cover usually black in color. Held on with one or two screws. Unscrew them and remove it. Take note on any hoses connected to it. You will then see the front of the motor and will be looking at the carburetors. The butterflies are the plates in the center of the circle that will open and close as you advance and retract the throttle. Make sure they all open up when throttle fully advanced. Do this with the motor OFF.

7. Member
    Don't check the air box, remove it. Take the cowling (cover) off the motor. In the front of it you will see a plastic cover usually black in color. Held on with one or two screws. Unscrew them and remove it. Take note on any hoses connected to it. You will then see the front of the motor and will be looking at the carburetors. The butterflies are the plates in the center of the circle that will open and close as you advance and retract the throttle. Make sure they all open up when throttle fully advanced. Do this with the motor OFF.
    Ohhh okay that makes sense now!! I will work on they today after work

8. Member
    Thank you! I will do that later today after work. Thank you for you help. This is my first boat. I want to get the performance everyone else is getting out of mine.

9. Member
    I will check that after work today. Thank you for your help. This is my first boat and I'm still new to things

10. Member
    I just want I just want to get the same performance as everyone else with the same setup

11. Member
    I've got the same motor/prop with no jack plate on a 95 400TE. I'll get it to 64 most days at 5800 RPM +/-. I can hit 72 with the current and a quarter tank of gas.

12. Member
    I'm running 3.25 above the pad now and am running about 61 but I'm thinking my prop need to be repaired as it's not perfect. But I feel like it's not terrible and shouldn't be robbing me that much speed. I may have some cupping added to help with lift. My hole shot is absolutely terrible. Any more tips ? Thank y'all for your help

The Renegade prop don't get the lift you need with that hull to begin with. Also it don't have the PVS plugs for adjusting venting during hole shot. Even so so should be able to run faster than that with that prop and your motor. You still haven't posted your RPMs so if it's not working get it working because we really don't know whats going on with out RPMs.
    Did you pull the air box and see if the butter flies open all the way up when throttle is advance fully with motor off?
    The other thing you should check is your compression to see if all cylinders are gtg.
    One other thing to see if your hole shot gets better but it may cause you to blow out just before it lays over. Pop out the Cavitation ring. Thats the black plastic ring stuck in the housing of the lower unit before the prop go's on. use a pair of pliers to help get it out. look it over real good and you will see what you need to do to get it out, it's easy as you just pull in on one of the double tabs and pull. But like I said you will likely blow out before it lays over.
    Check all this stuff and then report back.

14. Member
    I went out yesterday with a friend and was only able to hit 57 at about 5600 rpms. I looked st the butterflies and I think that there opening all the way but I'm not sure

If you get the right prop it will get that boat out of the water and increase your speed plenty.

16. Member
    How do I find the right prop? I'm thinking about having my prop brought back into spec before I spend a bunch of money on a new prop

Where are you located? Didnt happen to be at Kerr last Thurs I think it was, saw a Jav 400 w/ Venom 225 loading up that night

If you are close to Kerr Id be happy to help you with setup, Ill prob be helping another BBC member on Sunday, you could come join the party haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

18. Member
    No that wasn't me. I'm located outside of charlotte North Carolina. I appreciate the offer

Quote Originally Posted by AustinPizzini View Post
    No that wasn't me. I'm located outside of charlotte North Carolina. I appreciate the offer
    Ok, was a shot in the dark when I saw you were from NC.

Those Renengade props can be made to run really well on the Stratos/Jav hulls with OMC motors, but usually need some cup to help lift. Like the guy Ill hopefully be helping this weekend, seems like it could be a combo of setup issue and needing a better prop.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Send your Gade to Croxton and tell him to turn it into a Trophy the best he can. Or find a buddy with a like new 25 Trophy and try it. Remember you'll need the hub kit. Get the Michigan Wheel #200 hub.
    Or drap it up to MD and We'll get you hooked up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast