Crestliner VT 18

I am considering a purchase . For those that have this boat, why did you purchase the Crestliner over the other so similar boats.
    I like the possible rod storage options with the front deck as opposed to only having the center section rod storage.
    What TM did you select ? Seems there are challenges getting the prop right. THANKS

2. Member
    I started the adjacent thread asking for prop help. I hope that thread didn't sound like I'm not happy with the boat; I'm very happy with it.

When I priced out the boats in the 18' range, the Crestliner was a bit cheaper than even the Tracker PT190 and thousands cheaper than the Ranger RT188. I'm not a cheap person, I have no problem paying more when I can see why I'm paying more, but I just couldn't see that here. I looked at the RT188; it's definitely a nice boat. Was it worth a few thousand dollars more than the VT18? couldn't see why. People would say "but the RT188 has a console that's fiberglass," but I never understood what that did for me.

I also really liked my dealer. I talked to a lot of Crestliner, Ranger, Triton, and Bass Tracker dealers, and he was by far the nicest. He's not exactly convenient to where I live, but he spent a lot of time with me on the phone, advised me to call other dealers to see if they might have one in stock to sell me, as that may be cheaper than what he can sell to me for.

I opted not to get the rod storage in the center. I keep 6 rods (between 6'6" and 7'6") in the port bow compartment with room for more. I keep about 6 Plano 370 boxes of tackle and 6 plastic shoeboxes of soft plastics in the center compartment.

I opted to just get the Edge 70. This was my first foray into cable-steer trolling motors, so I didn't want to upgrade to a Fortrex or Ultrex right off the bat. It's totally fine. I tend to fish with it on speed 3; turning it down to speed 2 when I'm sight fishing; and 4 when I need to make longer runs. Speed 5 has almost knocked me out a couple times.

The lake I fish gets a ton of boat traffic. I was really nervous how this boat would handle a wakeboard boat going by at close distance. I gotta say, I'm impressed.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, or want to see any specific photos; I'm happy to share.

3. Member
    I'd have to agree with Grahamb, I just couldn't see paying several thousand more for basically the same boat. I know there are some that will swear Ranger or Triton or whatever is the best, but I tested multiple brands and the VT18 was as good as any of them. Yes there are some things I liked about the others but I'm quite pleased with my Crestliner VT18. I got the Minnkota Edge 70 trolling motor and the other upgrades that came with the DX package. The more I use mine the more confident I am I made the right decision for me. I'd recommend one of these boats to anyone!

I agree with Matt and Graham. Storage was a big factor for me. The bow and stern are wider than the Tracker. I got the Motorguide 70lb and I had an issue with it making to much noise, got it fixed (warranty). If I had it to do over again I would probably get the Minn-Kota. I didn't get the rod holders either because I want the space not the holders. You should go ahead and tell the dealer you want the engine mounted in the 3rd hole from the top and put the transom wedge's in so you can get to 45-46 mph without porpoising. Mine is rock solid up to 40mph but over that it want's to porpoise. Make sure your trailer guides are not mounted out to far. Mine were and I ended up getting one side scratched up not realizing the boat was up against the fender. I adjusted both of them myself, I can't remember which hole, I'd have to look and get back to you.

My engine is mounted in the second hole like everyone else's was from the dealer originally. I did notice that the bolt's had been put in the 3rd hole and then changed. hmm?

I also had thought I would get an X7 prop but after what Graham has experienced I'm not sure.
    Last edited by tjsellsfords; 07-19-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

I wish someone would buy the 19' boat and see if there are porpoising issues with it.
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V

6. Member
    you all have sighted the same reasons that I am looking at the Crestliner. Did you all get carpet , I am considering the liner from a ease of cleaning standpoint and as of now the boat will be covered outside.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    I started the adjacent thread asking for prop help. I hope that thread didn't sound like I'm not happy with the boat; I'm very happy with it.

When I priced out the boats in the 18' range, the Crestliner was a bit cheaper than even the Tracker PT190 and thousands cheaper than the Ranger RT188. I'm not a cheap person, I have no problem paying more when I can see why I'm paying more, but I just couldn't see that here. I looked at the RT188; it's definitely a nice boat. Was it worth a few thousand dollars more than the VT18? couldn't see why. People would say "but the RT188 has a console that's fiberglass," but I never understood what that did for me.

I also really liked my dealer. I talked to a lot of Crestliner, Ranger, Triton, and Bass Tracker dealers, and he was by far the nicest. He's not exactly convenient to where I live, but he spent a lot of time with me on the phone, advised me to call other dealers to see if they might have one in stock to sell me, as that may be cheaper than what he can sell to me for.

I opted not to get the rod storage in the center. I keep 6 rods (between 6'6" and 7'6") in the port bow compartment with room for more. I keep about 6 Plano 370 boxes of tackle and 6 plastic shoeboxes of soft plastics in the center compartment.

I opted to just get the Edge 70. This was my first foray into cable-steer trolling motors, so I didn't want to upgrade to a Fortrex or Ultrex right off the bat. It's totally fine. I tend to fish with it on speed 3; turning it down to speed 2 when I'm sight fishing; and 4 when I need to make longer runs. Speed 5 has almost knocked me out a couple times.

The lake I fish gets a ton of boat traffic. I was really nervous how this boat would handle a wakeboard boat going by at close distance. I gotta say, I'm impressed.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, or want to see any specific photos; I'm happy to share.
    Wake boats are a scourge of humanity.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukethedog View Post
    you all have sighted the same reasons that I am looking at the Crestliner. Did you all get carpet , I am considering the liner from a ease of cleaning standpoint and as of now the boat will be covered outside.

I debated the two for a while and eventually went with carpet. I grew up mostly around friends' saltwater boats so the idea of carpeting a boat was funny to me. The liner really seems to make the most sense for the reason you mentioned, but I kept coming back to the fact that the vast majority of bass boats are sold with carpet (including every pros' boat I've seen) and that must be for a reason...though I wasn't quite sure what that reason is. I think it's softer on the feet and much quieter than liner. I've also found myself quickly going to my knees to land a big fish, which I think would be much less comfortable with liner. I've heard arguments that liner is hotter than carpet, and I've heard that carpet is hotter than liner.

I keep mine outside, in the water in fact, and I opted to get a custom cover made for the boat. Everyone I talked to said the regular rope ratchet cover was tough to put on while the boat was in the water. The cover I made snaps onto the boat, and goes on in minutes and is tight as a drum. It's made of Sunbrella and came with a ten year warranty (I think it's ten years). It was about twice the price as the cover Crestliner offers.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Wake boats are a scourge of humanity.

Yes, they are! Where we have our cottage in Canada there is a lady who wrote the local landowners association concerning the bank erosion around her property complaining that something has to be done. Come to find out her family owned a $100K+ Ski Nautique wake boat which as you know pushes a huge wake especially when the water bladders are filled with water which causes the boat to push those huge wakes. I guess she didn't make the connection!

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

carpet
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V