Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    My brother has a Kia Sorento with that silly oil filter that looks like a ball of yarn and uses an O ring. He changes his oil every 4000 miles or so. He has about 200,000 trouble free miles on it.
    My Silverado changes its oil all by itself.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    Have a 2017 highlander that I use to tow my Ranger aluminum. Tow weight is about 2500.

With no towing the synthetic oil change interval is 10,000 miles. In the manual they say special uses include towing. But there is towing and then there is towing.

A 4,000 glass boat as an example would be a different stress profile on the engine than my aluminum boat.

Synthetic oil changes are not cheap so asking your all's opinion on this based on insight or experience.

Put this in the general discussion area as traffic is light in the truck care section.
    Don't know where your at but if you have a Farm and Fleet close by $48 for full synthetic with filter oil changes. Once in a while on sale for 42.
    Please release me,let me go.

AMSOIL ---25000 mile or 1 Year oil change with a filter change at 12K. None of my vehicles run that many miles in a year.

4. Member
    If you really want to max out the potential of synthetic oil then sign up with this company and do regular analysis. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

5. Banned
    I am appalled at the price of motor oil at the big national auto parts stores not on sale. Wal-Mart is still much more reasonable pricewise. Oil is a big, big money maker for them.

I have run.Walmart house brand outboard motor oil in my old 2 stroke motors and the engines were clean as possible inside. For the price of dino oil, I get full synthetic motor oil made by Exxon-Mobil. I stick to 5,000 mile oil changes.

6. Member
    I know synthetics are suppose to have long life, but I don't feel comfortable going past 4-5 k miles between changes. Synthetic may keep its viscosity longer, but it's still going to collect chemical and metallic contaminates over time. Will it make a difference over the life of the vehicle? Maybe not, guess I'm kind of anal about engines.

7. Member
    I always use synthetic and change my own oil around 6-7k miles.
    Buy Mobile 1 at Walmart for about $26 for 5 quarts.
    Buy filters from Amazon.

If you let someone else change your oil and pay for synthetic, how do you know that's what was actually poured in your crankcase?
    The more you know about the car dealership and repair business, more you will appreciate this question.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

8. Member
    + 1

I purchased the maintenance package with my Toyota for $600. It covers "all" maintenance in the manual for 5 years 60000 in addition to the two years 25000 miles. So I pay nothing for 7 yeasrs 85000 miles.

10. Banned
    5000 mile intervals with the my ford provided service and semi synthetic. I'm covered for 10 years 100,000 miles worth of service

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffth View Post
    I know synthetics are suppose to have long life, but I don't feel comfortable going past 4-5 k miles between changes. Synthetic may keep its viscosity longer, but it's still going to collect chemical and metallic contaminates over time. Will it make a difference over the life of the vehicle? Maybe not, guess I'm kind of anal about engines.
    Same here. All oils break down no way a 10,000 interval is a good idea IMO. Like said above 5qt jug of mobil 1 full syn is $22-25 and i run acdelco filters that i get by the case for $3 each through work. Costco has 6qt case for $27 certain times of year so my stuff is covered. Its foolish not to tread on the safe wide and just go 5k you dont save anything in the long run.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Castrol Syntec in my Sierra 1500 4x4. I get 8700-9000+ miles between changes before the oil monitor gets below 5%.
    The mechanic still tells me I'm changing good oil that would go a couple thousand more miles. Good. Don't want to be changing used up oil. Towing has never caused the intervals to change.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12