Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Synthetic oil change interval considerations

Have a 2017 highlander that I use to tow my Ranger aluminum. Tow weight is about 2500.

With no towing the synthetic oil change interval is 10,000 miles. In the manual they say special uses include towing. But there is towing and then there is towing.

A 4,000 glass boat as an example would be a different stress profile on the engine than my aluminum boat.

Synthetic oil changes are not cheap so asking your all's opinion on this based on insight or experience.

Put this in the general discussion area as traffic is light in the truck care section.

Just go by the regular interval. Youre not stressing that oil as much as you would think

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    Your Transmission is the one to watch . Make sure it has a good cooler.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    I talked to a Mobil engineer about this very thing, he said just change the filter at 5,000 and add a bit if your concerned but they run their test up to 25,000 with no problems......

5. Member
    No worries. As noted, pay attention to your transmission, gear boxes and coolant.
    Keep your tires inflated properly, too. And definitely use Top Tier gasoline or E10.
    Your fuel choice is much more relevant nowadays. Most engine oils are excellent.
    Most Toyota dealers use Mobil Special Synthetic for service, upgrade to Mobil 1.
    And ask if they use OEM products, some don't. They'll use cheaper lube products.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

6. Member
    If you bought a new 2017, it came with ToyotaCare. You've got 2 years of free oil changes.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M1RT View Post
    If you bought a new 2017, it came with ToyotaCare. You've got 2 years of free oil changes.
    They're just trying to get customers used to coming into the dealership for service--oil changes and such. They'll try to make housewives think they've got to take the car there to have their warranty valid.

After the 2 years of oil changes, they'll really knock it to you--in the pocket for $100 oil changes you can get at the local oil change business for $38.

I'd rather change my own oil than spend 1/2 a day going to he dealership for any kind of service.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    They're just trying to get customers used to coming into the dealership for service--oil changes and such. They'll try to make housewives think they've got to take the car there to have their warranty valid.

After the 2 years of oil changes, they'll really knock it to you--in the pocket for $100 oil changes you can get at the local oil change business for $38.

I'd rather change my own oil than spend 1/2 a day going to he dealership for any kind of service.
    That may be the case, but why not take it to the dealer to get the "free" oil changes and tire rotations for the first two years? And if your dealer takes a half day to change the oil and rotate tires, it's time to find a new dealer/service center.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1RT View Post
    That may be the case, but why not take it to the dealer to get the "free" oil changes and tire rotations for the first two years? And if your dealer takes a half day to change the oil and rotate tires, it's time to find a new dealer/service center.
    I would take advantage of the free oil and tire rotation. My battery was going bad and they replaced it for free. Also if any tsb's come up they can address them.
    After that I buy Mobil 1 only always for all my cars and trucks. Pop the filter pull the drain have a couple brewskies
    come back and finish. So simple and ez and cheaper to do at home. Cheapest oil 5qt jugs at Walmart.

I've got a hybrid Lexus (it's a Highlander with different logos and some different plastic) that I tow my boat with...probably accounts for 15% of the mileage from April to November. My boat is almost assuredly heavier than yours. It gets 10,000 mile changes with Mobile 1 synthetic. I sent it off once to have it tested after changing it. It was still just fine.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Member
    If you're really concerned send a used oil sample out for an analysis. Bobistheoilguy is your best friend.

Oil change suggestions are way more aggressive then they should be. @10k, even towing 100% ,your doing good. I think the real issue is if it took u 2 years to get to 10k, or you have overheated your engine once or twice.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Oil change suggestions are way more aggressive then they should be. @10k, even towing 100% ,your doing good. I think the real issue is if it took u 2 years to get to 10k, or you have overheated your engine once or twice.
    This has always been my impression as well. I always thought that was the case. Then when the oil change recommendations for identical cars from one model year to the next increased by 4-5 times "coincidentally" at the same time manufacturers started including x amount of maintenance with a new car purchase, I was sure of it.

BMW was doing 15k miles between changes when I had mine - I assume that's still the case.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Not on the ford 6.7 after about the 7500 when the computer says to change its thin and black as heck, stains your hands between the higher temps they run and something about the DEF also trashes oil out.

15. Member

My truck runs 0-20w and it is available in synthetic only. Holds between 8-9 quarts. I took advantage of the freebies, and have been doing it myself since. No oil change shop does it for less than $100-$110.

16. Member
    I use a Ford explorer to tow a Nitro NX750 which weighs about what your ranger aluminum does. I run synthetic and change every 4000-5000 miles. Fresh oil is always a good thing.

My daily driving car is a Honda Civic (roughly 30k-40k miles a year) and change it whenever the car computer reads 70% oil life remaining which is around 5000 miles. I'm at 140k miles on the odometer and never had any mechanical issues. I don't trust when they say go 10k.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    My truck runs 0-20w and it is available in synthetic only. Holds between 8-9 quarts. I took advantage of the freebies, and have been doing it myself since. No oil change shop does it for less than $100-$110.
    Count yourself lucky. My 7.3 diesel uses 15 quarts and a very expensive oil filter. I still use Ford OEM oil because it comes in 5 quart jugs and I don't have to buy individual quart bottles that are very expensive. I change every 5000 miles like clockwork.

After working for an auto manufacturer for 24 years, I'm just a little hesitant to take any vehicle into them for any maintenance or repair not being covered under warranty. They'll always find a way to get into your pocketbook.

That service writer is not a housewife's best friend--rather a very high paid commission salesman without conscience. His job is to sell $800 brake jobs to little grandmothers when their brakes still have 25% wear left.

Count yourself lucky. My 7.3 diesel uses 15 quarts and a very expensive oil filter. I still use Ford OEM oil because it comes in 5 quart jugs and I don't have to buy individual quart bottles that are very expensive. I change every 5000 miles like clockwork.

After working for an auto manufacturer for 24 years, I'm just a little hesitant to take any vehicle into them for any maintenance or repair not being covered under warranty. They'll always find a way to get into your pocketbook.

That service writer is not a housewife's best friend--rather a very high paid commission salesman without conscience. His job is to sell $800 brake jobs to little grandmothers when their brakes still have 25% wear left.
    Maybe you're already doing this or have checked, but if not, look at Amazon for your oil filters (and maybe the oil, too). My Lexus has one of those stupid cannister filters where you replace the inside filter and a couple o-rings each time while reusing the housing. Those replacement filters with the o-rings are like $13 at the cheapest at the store (which may be chump change compared to yours...never owned a diesel, especially one that big), and I believe that was for either Fram or some brand I've never heard of. I found K&N ones on Amazon for like $4 a piece with free Prime shipping. I also buy Mobile 1 0w-20 synthetic from Amazon for cheaper than I can find it in any store.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

19. Member
    I get mine changed around 9-10K.

20. Member
    Two 4-Runners spanning almost ten years serviced at the dealer serviced with full synthetic every 5,000 miles and I never paid over 80.00 by using the coupons they provided. I bought my tires there on their buy three get one free sales. They were always competitive with the local chain shops. That 80.00 included rotations. My Tundra was 8 QTS full synthetic and was less than 100.00. 2014 Silverado also about 100.00.

I always had the oil changed in my Lexus at my local Toyota dealership for the same prices.

Now the BMWs and the Mrs current Land Rover are friggen ridiculous. I can get a local shop to do it for 79.00 with spec parts or the spec kit cost me 59.00. I'll pay the 79.00 and get it changed twice what they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast