Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

93 88 SPL problems??

So I'm a pretty new owner of a 93 SS90 / 93 Evinrude 88Spl. Before I ever put it on the water I replaced the water pump, plugs, and wires and fuel pump. Had been doing good for the most part, took it out last week and it started missing on me, couldn't go over 7-8 mph without it shaking real bad. Checked compression and all 4 were at 120 ish psi. Installed an oem new power pack and new oem coils. Took it out tonight and it was way better, seemed almost fixed but it would only run about 29 mph and the tach wouldn't get up to 4K. From the short experience I've had with it it typically will run over 4K and about 38-40 mph with two people and gear. So I seem to have fixed the bad misfire and now it's down on power. Any suggestions on a direction to take here? I'm pretty new to outboards. I do know everything was installed correctly. I pulled the plugs on the water tonight and they all looked good / the same. Everything was pretty good it just wouldn't rev out high and get up near its top speed. Gas is a week old, premium and has marine stabil in it. Any help is appreciated

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd get a couple carb kits and rebuild the carbs, you may have a gummed up high speed orifice or two. Won't be too hard to go through. Once done with that you may want to perform a sync n link on your carbs.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Also verify that the throttle plates are opening fully and the clear roller is still on the upper linkage. This is a photo of a GT150 but the adjustment is the same.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Also verify that the throttle plates are opening fully and the clear roller is still on the upper linkage. This is a photo of a GT150 but the adjustment is the same.
    Hmm it doesn't look like like it seems to be smaller.

5. Member
    Mine has a black roller on it but it's very small in diameter barely bigger than the metal post it's on. Would post a picture but I'm on my phone and I'm not sure how to resize it

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The roller is missing from the black post. Your throttle plates aren't opening fully that is why the lack of performance.
    Order part number 0324678 O ring and 0432639 from your dealer or an online store like www.boats.net

7. Member
    Okay thank you! I will order that. One more question, there are two holes on the back of the engine like underneath the lower cover. What are those for exactly? Water was coming out of them while it was running last night? Seemed like exhaust? Hadn't noticed it before though

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asouth7 View Post
    Okay thank you! I will order that. One more question, there are two holes on the back of the engine like underneath the lower cover. What are those for exactly? Water was coming out of them while it was running last night? Seemed like exhaust? Hadn't noticed it before though
    Exhaust/idle reliefs......normal,,no worries.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

9. Member
    Awesome thank you! Figured it was normal just hadn't noticed it before I guess. Hopefully the roller fixes my issues

10. Member
    One more question, with the engine shut off should the throttle be somewhat hard to push forward to wide open? I've never tried to open it with it not running before today. It did open but it felt stiff? Last night on the water it felt normal

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Depending on your control box it makes a difference. Some you can push the neutral lockout button and apply just throttle, other styles you can pull the handle towards you and do the same. Some you are engaging the gears too. That may be why your's is hard to move as you are engaging the gears at the same time.

12. Member
    So with the throttle pushed all the way forward and the carb linkage as far as that will take it, I can move the carb linkage at least a fingers width to get the carbs to " wide open " is that bushing that big?? Seems like there will still be room to open. Or does something else need adjusting?

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asouth7 View Post
    So with the throttle pushed all the way forward and the carb linkage as far as that will take it, I can move the carb linkage at least a fingers width to get the carbs to " wide open " is that bushing that big?? Seems like there will still be room to open. Or does something else need adjusting?
    Not super big but can cause the carbs to not open fully. Put it on a see...

14. Member
    I'll report back once I have it thank you all

15. Member
    Ok so I got the new roller and put it on. Just sitting here with the throttle control all the way forward I can still move the carb linkage a good amount farther that the throttle linkage will take it. Should it be maxing it out?

16. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Pic of throttle blades when handle all the way forward??????? You can go past full open(throttle blades) even though the handle is maxed out and things are out of adjustment. May have to go thru link and sync per your OMC service manual to start from scratch and verify everything..TDC/pick up timing/max timing/linkage and cam follower adjustments. All has to work in harmony.....

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Pic of throttle blades when handle all the way forward??????? You can go past full open(throttle blades) even though the handle is maxed out and things are out of adjustment. May have to go thru link and sync per your OMC service manual to start from scratch and verify everything..TDC/pick up timing/max timing/linkage and cam follower adjustments. All has to work in harmony.....

You just saved me so much confusing. Didn't realize the throttle blades could go pass full open and start to close. At full throttle they are wide open. Guess I'll see what happens next time out!

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    That's what you want, the throttle handle to open the throttle blades to perpendicular to the throttle bodies....

19. Member
    Alright well I finally got a chance to take it back out and it was way worse. I managed to get it ok plane a couple times but still felt down on power / would not go above 4K rpm. Shut it off to just check over some things and then when it would start ( which was barely ) it would die as soon as I gave it any throttle at all. Also at the ramp when I launched I had to run with the choke on for like 5 minutes or it would die if given any throttle. So I was stuck in a cove for awhile trying to figure out what to do. I started it and immediately went full throttle and it spit and sputtered past dying and I got it on plane and went straight back to the ramp before I got stuck in the dark. Backed the truck down and got back in the boat and it was back to dying with any throttle given at all. I am probably going to take it to someone who knows what they're doing. I'm lost and seem to just be wasting money ��

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check the orange wires on your power packs to coils, top two should be orange/blue and the bottom two orange or orange/green. That would cause a misfire/starting issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast