Question MinnKota TM doesn't leave enough space for rod/reel on the deck when it's up

I have a 2008 Puma. Are there any tricks to create more space for the rod/reel on the deck when my TM is up? I frequently have to move and tinker with my rods when pulling the TM up. Thanks.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    I broke the handle on a reel last week. I started laying them farther back, but the strap is behind the reel and they slide out while running. I've been trying to keep them on opposite side lately. Actually, this weekend I thought about a couple of possible options. Either getting a second strap and place it farther back to allow me to keep rods back. Or much more untraditional is why not lay rods facing opposite with tips at bow and put a strap on rod compartment near console. Might give me some feet room up front too. Just some thoughts I've had. Interested what others might have done or thought too.

3. Member
    I ordered a second rod holder strap from Allan. Put it on the starboard side. My 7' rods fit fine in front of the console reaching up to just about the sonar head.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

You can separate the rods around the trolling motor and older cork handles should fit. The reason the clearance is low is to give improved visibility on plane, and the back is down to point the shaft slightly forward under operation. This is also why BCB props don't cavitation like other brands, the thrust is pointing downwards.

I use a Velcro rod strap, screwed down with 2 screws.. along both sides of deck.. even holds long handle of fish net,, with rods.. its been there since 1989, no rot, no breakage, best $10.00 spent in 89..

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelford View Post
    I have a 2008 Puma. Are there any tricks to create more space for the rod/reel on the deck when my TM is up? I frequently have to move and tinker with my rods when pulling the TM up. Thanks.
    I have a 2012 puma and have the same problem. I have thought about raising the TM a couple inches on the mount but have not done anything as of yet
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    I have a 2012 puma and have the same problem. I have thought about raising the TM a couple inches on the mount but have not done anything as of yet
    Good idea.

8. Member
    My Sabre has the inset area where the reels lay. They sit lower and out the way of the TM when it's stowed.
    Total genuios design. ����
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    My Sabre has the inset area where the reels lay. They sit lower and out the way of the TM when it's stowed.
    Total genuios design. ����
    That is cool. I just looked and it seems the Sabre is the only boat with that feature.

It is a neat feature and we like the recessed idea, though it also was met with unconventional objection. People simply didn't embrace it as the feature it was. We really like that concept and it just didn't take hold.

11. Member
    I believe the only issue, is it can hold water a bit. Also with the poles removed, and TM deployed, it can trip you up a bit when you step in it.
    I am very aware of the recessed area now, and it is da bomb for the TM clearance issue.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

There is an indent on my carpet from the bounce buster, I just make sure there isnt a rod laying on that spot when I strap them down. Pull up TM and the bounce buster lands between the rods.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Agree on my 06 cougar ftd is tuff to store rods on trolling motor side. I think the extension mount would help clearance fore sure
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

14. Member
    Thanks for all the info. Sounds like the options are: an extension mount or store my rods with the handles near the console.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

15. Member
    Are you able to lay them where the ends are even with the trolling motor head and not under? You will have to add another strap a little farther back probably.

16. Member
    Imagine a guy who likes to throw swimbaits ( 8'6 rods ) out of a Sabre. It gets a little cluttered up front there but I wouldn't trade it for any other 18 footer.

17. Member
    I have a pantera classic, my ultrex actually has more room under it than the older maxxum I had before, but still it’s not the rods that are the problem, it’s the reels—I actually broke a reel handle a couple years ago when the trolling motor didn’t quite clear it. I lay the rods on the port side with the handles against the passenger console, so it’s only the tips that sit under the TM. As long as I make sure there isn’t a rod where the indent in the carpet from the motor-support is, I’m good. I have the little bungee straps that BCB sells, and only strap the tips, and it has been fine in some pretty nasty weather. There isn’t nearly as much bouncing back by the consoles as there is up by the trolling motor. I don’t run 60mph in big water, but nevertheless I have not had a problem doing this.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 07-20-2017 at 06:00 AM.

18. Member
    before selling my 2010 puma i used a piece of carpeted 2x6 as a spacer which allowed me to store rods on the port side under the tm without tearing up the reels. it was temporary as i planned to buy a piece of black delrin and machine it to the same dimensions as the wood block. ended up selling the boat first thought. my tm was a 52" so i still was not able to completely open the port rod locker when the tm was in its stored position.