Lightbulb Front mounted trailer hitch Anyone?

I'm about to move into a new house. I've stood at the driveway enterance for like a day. I'm trying to figure out how to widen it enough to get my 30ft triple axel trailer in without tearing down mail boxes on both sides. Then I remembered a trick my dad did at a storage place years ago! A front mounted hitch!
    anyone useing one? To get into an area impossible to back a long wheel base truck into? I think it will work. Let me know.

When I was young --almost everyone had them for several different reasons My dad used his for tight spots.. also for unloading boat when there was no boat ramp and we only had two wheel drive.. I think people quit using them because of having to unhook -hook unhook hook ----------------

3. Member
    We had one when I was a kid. A lot easier to mount back when trucks were trucks without all the foo foo bs.

Today I mount a ball on the loader bucket of my Kubota and can stuff any trailer wherever I want.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

4. Member
    We use to use them. Several manufacturers actually make they to mount to the vehicle like the ones that mount on the rear. They are great in certain situations.

Used to be common up on the Miss River 40 years ago. I think they fell out of favor when front bumpers changed and you just couldn't bolt on a ball and small plate.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

6. Member
    Thanks for the in-put ...there are some great hitches for 120$ that bolt strait to my Chevy. And they look great or are hidden when not in use. I think I'm going to try it before modifying the entery to the house. I hate to unhook also but the boat ramp is like 2 blocks from the house. Unless I need gas ( I always need gas) I won't have to swap.

7. Member
    You still have to swing a large truck in a narrow space. Maybe your riding mower would accept a ball on front.

Front mounted hitch is a wonderful thing, and like you said they are available ready made and very affordable. I have had them on my last 6 SUVs and remember having to build them. Triple axel trailer would make me think it would be a bit much for a mower or atv. Remember you may also need to provide 12 vdc for brake override, but not a big deal. I have used mine mostly for a surf fishing platform, but currently it is also used to garage my cruiser which I like to get very close to the wall. No mirror blind spots and you are looking directly at what you are doing. Worth a try!

9. Member
    Powered trailer dolly? Overtons has a 10k lb model for $600 - powered by a cordless drill?? Safer wholesale has all kinds that are gas powered.

10. Member
    I have one on my Ford 2005 Excursion , It works great for me because I have neck issues in turning my head to back up .I'm old !

11. Member
    I have one on my Ram 3500. I use it for moving trailers, as well I have a snow plow and a winch that also connect into the 2" tube.

The problem you might have is the tongue weight. The highest buyable one I was able to find was 300 pounds which is only a single axle trailer.

12. Member
    Thanks for the trailer dolly idea..I had never seen them before. But I have a bit of a grade and would be afraid of being run over by the boat. And it's very hard to turn that Tripple tightly. I ordered a front hitch for the truck today and a ball for my 4 wheeler. I'll try both, but am afraid that even my 4-wheeler may be pushed around by 6000# coming down hill.
    the hitch is rated at 500 tongue weight which is about what my boat has, it does go way up if I remove the drive and engine. But being that I will only be moving at slow parking lot speeds I'm not to consernd with exceeding the weight.
    ill let y'all know how it works out in about a month when I move in.

Good luck with the new home. Sounds like it has a proper toy shed if it will take a 30'er. When/if you try the 4 wheeler attach a pull line to the trailer brakes breakaway cable so you can manually lock the trailer brakes if needed.