Heads for tying hair jigs?

What would be the best jig head for 3/8 hair jigs that will be fished in rock? Thought about lureparts online rite eye jig because of the recessed line tie, but wasn't for sure. Thanks PS Mike Lohn chime in here please. Lol

2. Member
    Hair jigs as in ledge jigs, smallmouth jigs, crawfish imitating, minnow imitating....? You're going to get a wide range of answers on the best head shape for rock. They all will wedge to some degree. Do you plan on swimming it, hopping, or dragging? I like a football for rock. Others will disagree. The head shape you mention to me is more of a pitching/all purpose jig but there are no absolutes.

3. Member
    Cfremch, they'll be smallmouth jigs. I will be fishing them like I normally do my other jigs in rock piles etc. I figured out the head on the ones I've been buying are the do it sparkle jig.

4. Member
    Arky heads as well as football heads are your best bet. I've been tying and fishing hair jigs for over 20 years, I seldom go over 1/4oz and only if I'm fishing more than 20' deep. On sturgeon bay 1/16oz and 3/32oz marabou works well in 15-18' of water, the light weight allows the slow presentation necessary to get the most out of the hair, a heavy weight is reserved for ultra deep presentations or reaction bites and silicone and rubber is better for reaction bites.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalljaw67 View Post
    Arky heads as well as football heads are your best bet. I've been tying and fishing hair jigs for over 20 years, I seldom go over 1/4oz and only if I'm fishing more than 20' deep. On sturgeon bay 1/16oz and 3/32oz marabou works well in 15-18' of water, the light weight allows the slow presentation necessary to get the most out of the hair, a heavy weight is reserved for ultra deep presentations or reaction bites and silicone and rubber is better for reaction bites.
    Thanks. We are talking 30 to 40 feet here right now. Any suggestions? Thanks

6. Member
    I like them tied to ball head jigs. I use a the round ball DO It mold. They work the best in the rocky highland lakes around me.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Thanks. We are talking 30 to 40 feet here right now. Any suggestions? Thanks
    30 to 40 feet a 3/8oz is perfect and with rock you'll always have a head get wedged in the cracks but the football head is probably the best bet.

8. Member
    Thanks smalljaw.

9. Banned
    I like a flat eye arkie for fishing rock if I don't have a football handy.

10. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Round ball for me
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

Quote Originally Posted by Smalljaw67 View Post

I agree, but I do not fish hair jigs.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I agree, but I do not fish hair jigs.
    Dang Mike, i figured with the smallies you have up north you'd use them for sure.

We sure do have the smallmouth. I am probably making a big mistake.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    We sure do have the smallmouth. I am probably making a big mistake.
    Most of the bigger fish come on them here & you'll lose a rod if your not csareful. My buddy & i both done this very thing last summer.