USAA car buying service

Seen that post the other day and never even heard of it. How does it work on like a toyota 4 runner where they dont come off msrp very much and dont care if they sell it or not due to the limited availability? Do they want you to finance thru them in the end? Ive found a 4 runner at a local dealer i was planning on buying this week but havent talked to that dealer yet.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

I'd call USAA. They may have a USAA certified dealer in your area or be able to call the dealership in question and work out the price. I used them many years ago, but my last purchase (2016 F150), the dealer beat their price without me even showing playing the USAA card.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

3. Member
    USAA gets a fee from the dealership if you buy a vehicle using their "buying service". A USAA Certified Dealer is one that has agreed to pay them the Fee. USAA Buying Service, True Car, etc. are lead providers. Another way of advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Seen that post the other day and never even heard of it. How does it work on like a toyota 4 runner where they dont come off msrp very much and dont care if they sell it or not due to the limited availability? Do they want you to finance thru them in the end? Ive found a 4 runner at a local dealer i was planning on buying this week but havent talked to that dealer yet.
    Just another gimmick from USAA. USAA was the highest for us on everything except boat loans.. Their insurance was a joke. You can probably do better on your own especially at a volume dealer. Toyota doesn't really have the "markup" the big three do so they don't discount as much. If you can get a few grand off you are doing well.

5. Member
    I have seen their car buying service work both ways. One time it didn't help us, another time it saved us a couple of thousand off the best we could do on our own. Just another tool to use.

When it helped us, it was actually slightly lower than GM's employee discount that we had priced through a family member who had that. So like most things, it depends. It is nice walking in with a price that they have already agreed to.

I used it, and was better than any deal I could make for a Honda.......

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    I'd call USAA. They may have a USAA certified dealer in your area or be able to call the dealership in question and work out the price. I used them many years ago, but my last purchase (2016 F150), the dealer beat their price without me even showing playing the USAA card.
    This is what I have found. You can normally get a better deal yourself if you know what you are doing. USAA can still get you $1000 off if they are in their dealer network.

Ive been with USAA for over 30 years. Back in the day before internet pricing, when you had to go buy the edmunds paperback book to figure out what dealer invoice was, the USAA buying service was pretty good and would save you some money. Depending on the brand USAA can still be better than what most pay. The USAA price on my wifes 17 Lexus RX350 was better than what they were quoting online at the dealership. My F250 was a better online price than the USAA price.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Ive been with USAA for over 30 years. Back in the day before internet pricing, when you had to go buy the edmunds paperback book to figure out what dealer invoice was, the USAA buying service was pretty good and would save you some money. Depending on the brand USAA can still be better than what most pay. The USAA price on my wifes 17 Lexus RX350 was better than what they were quoting online at the dealership. My F250 was a better online price than the USAA price.
    I have also been with them for almost 30 years. I can do better on my own but they offer great interest rates and if you want an extended warranty they will beat the dealership most of the time.

We used it for our last Toyota purchase.. the tacomas are a pretty sought after truck and most dealerships don't budge.. plus I hate playing their games.. our local dealer accepts or is enrolled in the USAA program.. So I went on-line and loaded up the model we wanted, printed off the price, then went to the dealer where we presented the printout. No hassles and our truck delivered about three weeks later.. smoothest deal ever and not one hassle or sales crap.. we used our own financing..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

11. Member
    You can do better on your own for cars/trucks that dealers will negotiate on prices (ford/chevy/dodge). I tried it on my last two trucks (f150) and got much better deals as did my friends. Don't know about Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    We used it for our last Toyota purchase.. the tacomas are a pretty sought after truck and most dealerships don't budge.. plus I hate playing their games.. our local dealer accepts or is enrolled in the USAA program.. So I went on-line and loaded up the model we wanted, printed off the price, then went to the dealer where we presented the printout. No hassles and our truck delivered about three weeks later.. smoothest deal ever and not one hassle or sales crap.. we used our own financing..
    Did the same on my '17 Taco but didn't have to use it. Dealer matched and I used my credit union.

13. Banned
    Toyota vehicles sold in Arkansas are distributed by Gulf Coast Toyota distributors. They cost dealers more than those purchase directly from Toyota. They also add mud flaps, paint sealants and other worthless pure profit items.

Run up to MO or over to Memphis and you might do better. Contact the dealers via internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Toyota vehicles sold in Arkansas are distributed by Gulf Coast Toyota distributors. They cost dealers more than those purchase directly from Toyota. They also add mud flaps, paint sealants and other worthless pure profit items.

Run up to MO or over to Memphis and you might do better. Contact the dealers via internet.
    Actually i was in houston the first 4mo of this year and the sticker price here in conway is cheaper than the best deal within 100mi of houston. Thats not even counting my supplier discount.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

have you tried truecar.com? I used it when I bought my 2013 Tundra and as long as the dealer is a participating dealer you can get a pretty fair price.