"That dude" at the ramp colreb2000's Avatar

Question Motor setback.....more or less?

I know Doug down in Louisiana has played with set back on various 20 foot BCB's. But has anyone monkeyed with various amounts of setback (8-12" and greater).....if so, what performance changes did you see? I'm currently running a 6 inch manual plate, but was curious if any additional set back might help on the top end. I know on high performance hulls, if you go back far enough...you naturally can raise the motor height since you have good water flow over the prop, which helps stern lift then by default helping top end as you're not having to trim the motor as much. The closer you can run the motor to neutral trim the better as its more efficient. I'm just curious really....but thought about possibly adding 2" spacers if 8" is the optimal amount of setback.

2. Member
    I believe going over 8" will void the lifetime warranty for starters. I would only increase set-back if the boat requires a LOT of positive trim to hold the bow up. Never seen a bass cat where this is an issue as the boats are not grossly overweight like some are. You can simulate more set-back by simply moving heavy stuff from the front to the rear.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. "That dude" at the ramp colreb2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    You can simulate more set-back by simply moving heavy stuff from the front to the rear.
    Not that I carry a whole lot anyway, I fish extremely light by most fishermen's standards......but early 2000's Cougars have zero storage in the back (I forgot to mention year model). I'm just looking for optimal efficiency and haven't seen this topic talked about a lot....even after doing a search.

We have seen shorter plates gain and longer plates gain for various reasons. We know they select the plates with a lot of thought and have played with variations.

5. Member
    I HAVE A 91' BASS CAT PANTERA II. I RECENTLY HAD MY DUAL STEERING CABLE SYSTEM UPGRADED TO HYD. STEERING AT MY LOCAL BASS PRO SHOP AFTER HITTING A STUMP AND ONE OF THE CABLES BROKE. MY INSURANCE COMPANY GAVE ME THE OPTION TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE TO UPGRADE THE STEERING TO HYD. I AGREED TO PAYING THE DIFFERENCE. WHEN I ARRIVED TO PICK MY BOAT UP I FOUND OUT THAT AFTER INSTALLING THE HYD. STEERING ON MY BOAT THAT I CAN NO LONGER TILT MY MOTOR UP HIGH ENOUGH TO USE MY TRANSOM SAVER WHILE TOWING THE BOAT, DUE TO THE ISSUE OF THE FITTINGS ON THE HYD. STEERING CYCLINDER ARE TO CLOSE TO THE BACK OF MY BOAT. IF THE MOTOR IS TILTED UP TO MUCH THE FITTINGS HIT THE BACK OF MY BOAT. I ALREADY HAVE A 5 1/2" SET BACK MANUAL JACK PLATE. I TRIED RAISING MY MOTOR UP SOME, BUT IF I RAISE IT UP HIGH ENOUGH WHERE THE FITINGS ARE NOT AN ISSUE I LOOSE TO MUCH WATER PRESSURE. AT 3500 RPM MY MOTOR IS HARDLY PEEING AT ALL. IT SEEMS LIKE IT IS GETTING TO MUCH AIR MIXED IN THE WATER. INSURANCED JUST REPLACED THE POWER HEAD ON MY OUTBOARD AND I DO NOT WANT TO MESS THIS NEW MOTOR UP. THE QUESTION I HAVE IS THE TRANSOM IN MY BOAT CAPABLE OF SUPPORTING THE WEIGHT OF A 10" SETBACK MANUAL JACK PLATE. MY MOTOR IS A 99' MERCURY 175 EFI. ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

8" will clear the transom on your 175, you don't need a 10" and we won't comment on a 1991 transom as that is way outside our production knowledge of that period up to 28 years ago.

7. Member
    I doubt the transom will be the problem. That 2.5 block is 100+ pounds lighter than the opti's of today. I ran a 12" on an astro with a plywood transom and zero issues. For me, I would go with the 8" however. Every inch moves the center of gravity rearward, and when you go too far, you get porpoising at slow to moderate speeds, which is miserable, not to mention a suck hole shot.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    8" will clear the transom on your 175, you don't need a 10" and we won't comment on a 1991 transom as that is way outside our production knowledge of that period up to 28 years ago.
    WILL MY TRANSOM SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF THE 8" JACK PLATE?

I see you like all caps. In forums, all caps mean you are yelling at us...what did we do to you.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOSEY_DOUG View Post
    WILL MY TRANSOM SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF THE 8" JACK PLATE?
    If my reading comprehension is good?

I think they already answered your question!

" and we won't comment on a 1991 transom as that is way outside our production knowledge of that period up to 28 years ago."