Question Titling Questions - From different state to Missouri

Hey guys,
    Im trying to buy a boat that the seller said in his state the motor doesn't have a title and in his state a title for the outboard is not required - which is true. The state of Maryland they do not require a title.
    My question is:
    Can I buy this boat/motor/ trailer without a motor title? will I have to acquire a title from Missouri (file for one)?
    or will he have to get (create) a title from Maryland?
    Thanks for the input
    '01 Gambler DE Intimidator
    250 Merc Pro XB

2. Member
    you would need a certificate of origin that the seller would have gotten at time of purchase for the motor. I bought one from Illinois which also did not title outboards and it was no issue at all at the DMV.

same thing with Kansas, it takes awhile but DMV will issue a title for the motor. just contact them and ask what forms you need filled out
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

4. Member
    Shouldn't be any issues. I live in the St. Louis area..my last 2 boats were both purchased from Illinois owners and they don't require motor to be titled. I don't recall having to bring anything other than the bill of sale listing the make, model, serial #, of the boat, motor and trailer and the titles for the hull and trailer. You will get issued you hull ID numbers and sticker for the hull, plates for trailer and sticker for the outboard. The paper titles came in mail within 2-3 weeks. Always good idea to call your local DMV office to verify.
    2012 Z521, Yamaha 250 SHO
    SOLD-1998 Ranger 519DVS, Mercury 225 EFI
    Semper Fi

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Every DMV you walk into is different, had to create Arkansas title when moving to Missouri to register boat, was a crazy process for sure, good luck