MY new Garmin review

I am new to the Garmin game and had a lot of time on the boat this weekend fishing the Ohio River.
    I have the 93SV at the console and 73DV on bow. Both Echomap Chirp units with the GT52 ducer.
    I have played with the color palette and decided Midnight Blue works great for side imaging.
    This was the first time using the 73DV since I was working on a mount and it worked great. No interference from my old Minn Maxx 70.
    I was around some noticeable current areas and could see it on my 73 with great images. Checking out a lot of barge tie ups on SV was cool.
    Still learning these things and I really like how easy it is to work the menu even though it is not a touch screen.
    I could make out a lot of debris with my side imaging and then go back over it with DV and 2d.
    You could definitely make out the strong white returns on SI with the blue palette.
    I may have got lucky and mounted my SI transducer in the right spot the first time.
    I will have to let you all know how I did it when I get a chance. Got it level in the driveway.
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

2. Member
    How does your Downvu work? Ive got the same Transducer and havent got it dialed in.. on Auto settings, I might as well just stick my head in the water.. I am new, so I havent messed with all the setting yet, but I will this evening or this week...

It really is amazing how intuitive these units have been made to be. We have come a long way since a glass bottom bucket.

4. Member
    Down view isnt the greatest right now but I can at least make out a tree.
    I would love to tell if I am looking at a pile of bricks or rocks for sure.
    I need to get mine dialed in as well.
    I will mess with the 93sv's down view and the 73dv to see if get similar images.
    I will try try to keep you posted. I am new with electronics period.
    All I have ever had was an HDS5 that came on my Triton.
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRFANIM View Post
    I am new to the Garmin game and had a lot of time on the boat this weekend fishing the Ohio River.
    I have the 93SV at the console and 73DV on bow. Both Echomap Chirp units with the GT52 ducer.
    I have played with the color palette and decided Midnight Blue works great for side imaging.
    This was the first time using the 73DV since I was working on a mount and it worked great. No interference from my old Minn Maxx 70.
    I was around some noticeable current areas and could see it on my 73 with great images. Checking out a lot of barge tie ups on SV was cool.
    Still learning these things and I really like how easy it is to work the menu even though it is not a touch screen.
    I could make out a lot of debris with my side imaging and then go back over it with DV and 2d.
    You could definitely make out the strong white returns on SI with the blue palette.
    I may have got lucky and mounted my SI transducer in the right spot the first time.
    I will have to let you all know how I did it when I get a chance. Got it level in the driveway.
    Debris in the Ohio River? LOL tires and a tree here and there is all I see up from you on the Allegheny

I dont think luck has much to do with your setup.....my Striker worked on a portable mount right out of the box the very first time, and is still working good. My old Mega 9 was almost as good at not needing to be fussed with, but my Lowrance has been a biatch