Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My fault, assumed it was the trailer for that boat. Yea, 13" is kinda small for that weight, IMHO. If you're not in a hurry for tires, I would shop around for the best deal. Sometimes manufacturers ( and some dealers) will have a pretty good discount, like $80- $100 off if you buy 4. If you can go 14" - 15", I would consider the Endurance tire but I know sometime price dictates what to buy. Tire Rack has the Endurance for $108 shipped to your choice of installer. That's not on sale just their price. Had mine shipped to NTB & they charged $40 ( all 4) to mount, balance, & valve stem. Not bad really. This a fairly new tire so any of them you get will have a dot date of 2017. But check with Tire Rack for whichever tire you choose, they usually have good prices, but again shop around. Good luck & good fishing. BTW, no, I'm not in any way shape or form associated with either of them. Retire LEO that just likes to fish.
    Cheers

2. Member
    tracer1, thanks for the input. Please let me clarify. The dealer that set up the trailer is indeed also a Boston Whaler dealer. The trailer still has "Dauntless 220" written on trailer tongue. So while this trailer did not come with the boat from the factory, the trailer was set up by the largest Boston Whaler dealer in Florida. And it is the same brand of trailer the Whaler's come with. I am the 3rd owner. The original owner purchased the boat from this same dealer and kept it in their "storage rack" at the marina, so never purchased the trailer. The 2nd owner bought the trailer in 2011 when he bought the boat from the Whaler dealer. So the SHOULD know how to properly set up this rig. The current tires DO cover the recommend weight, but not by much. Def not the 20% recommended. I have priced out the Endurance tires and they look great. But 5 tires, 5 rims and install. Wow, time to sell a kidney or get a 2nd job. What I get for owning a B.O.A.T!
    Last edited by Jstep; 07-23-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added info.

3. Member
    I would look at it this way. Take a look at the expense of the boat/trailer and your vehicle that could get screwed up vs the cost of the tires. I had a 8 inch scratch that was able to be buffed out fixed by a fiber glass repair shop and it cost me $260. So tire replacement in the big scheme of things is one of the cheapest things you will have to do. But I know what you mean about not liking to have to spend the money.

Know what you mean Jstep. Not knocking the trailer or dealer, just thought 13" wheels not the greatest for a 5000 pound rig. But that's my opinion only. Don't assume a dealer knows what they're doing just because they're a dealer. I'm sure the trailer does what it supposed to do, go from point A to point B without a problem. If you're only trailering a few miles back & forth to your ramp, & if you're happy with it then it's not a problem. But if you're running interstate or long miles, then I would be concerned, but again, that's just my opinion. I run a 21' bass boat, tandem with fiberglass fenders all over the country. I have run Carlisle tires. Last set I had was the the Carlisle Road Trail or something like that. First year, I had one blow on the interstate around 70 mph. This was a rear tire with disc brakes. Just imagine what that did to the fender, tire & rim, let alone the dis breaks, not counting down time on the side of the highway plus finding a dealer on a Sunday. Couldn't even put my new Carlisle spare on it messed everything up so bad. Just glad no one behind has any problems or got hurt. That's the bright side. Long story short, took me about 6 months to recoup from you know who. That was the only time & last time I will own a "China Bomb" regardless of who makes it or whatever name they put on it. Now don't get me wrong, you can have a blowout with any tire, new or old & regardless of Manuf. Anyone with common sense will tell you that. Everybody has the right to run whatever tire they want & can afford. Keep us posted on what you get & how they perform & I will do likewise on the Endurance.
    Cheers

5. Member
    http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/product/R18513D

I always get my tires from them cheapest and free shipping. I always change my tires every 5 years and go fishing every weekend unless it rains.

6. Member
    I just replaced my 17 year old CANADIAN made Goodyear Marathon tires. Never a blow out and they were used hard. Multiple trips to Canada at 70+ mph on a single axle trailer with the boat in my sig, full of fuel and loaded with goodies. Tread was worn out. They were replaced with Goodyear Endurance tires and so far they have been holding up great, especially with the speed limit at 75mph. I have been replacing all of the China JUNK on my trailers as I can afford to. I have 5 different trailers and never had a tire issue with USA/Canadian made tires other than punctures. BUT I have had nothing but problems with the China tires, blowouts, many belt separations because of load and heat. All the 10 ply 16" that I have replaced with LT tires run cooler and actually last. I have one flatbed with USA made Carlisle tires that are well over 10 years old and it just got back from Virginia with no tire issues. These will soon be replaced because of the tread being worn off! So age seems to be no where near as important as WHERE the tires were made. All the B/S excuses about speed/inflation and overloading are just that with the China bombs. How many on here have replaced China bombs because of being worn out? I know myself I have NEVER had to, they will blow or separate before that happens. This is just my experience over 30+ years of turning wrenches and the last 10-15 years dealing with China junk. CJ
    Last edited by CJ1; 07-25-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

7. Member
    CJ that's exactly right in my book

Quote Originally Posted by kensafishin View Post
    CJ that's exactly right in my book

+1 ^^^

9. Member
    +2 for CJ!!

Actual loaded boat weights are almost always significantly higher than published weights, you could easily weigh 1,000 pounds more than you think ready to launch.

Forget the rule book, reality is that Dauntless at a minimum needs 14" tires, go 15" if they will fit when you can afford to.

Bought a set of Goodyear Endurance tires a month ago and the sidewalls feel 3 times stiffer than my latest set of China bombs. They appear to be one heck of a tire upon initial examination!
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 07-26-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

10. Member
    I have endurance..got around 2000 miles on them And the best thing o notice is the ride
    No bounce tracks good and like you said solid

11. Member
    Thanks for all the input everyone. Definitely going to bigger tires. Gonna make sure I measure properly and go a big as the trailer allows. Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12