Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I don't use the 580G lenses anymore even though I love them...my eye doctor gave me a stern lecture and showed me pictures of one of her patients that had a jig come back and hit him in his Costa glass lenses. It shattered and the guys eye was shredded.

Im in 580P lenses now and have never had a single quality control issue with Costa.

I own amphibia (like them)...Oakley and costa. My next pair will be another Costa.

2. Member
    I wont pay that much for sunglasses. Not that they aren't worth the money, but because I have lost too many pairs.
    You know, hauling butt in the boat and see something you just passed, "That looks good!", turn your head and they fly off!
    I have been buying the Bass Pro Shops XPS brand. Have been really good. They last and have excellent lens for the price.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    thats the only knock on costas is the rubber.

but depending on sunblock and what you use to clean them will definitely affect them more. Also if you leave them on your dash or in your vehicle the heat can melt the glue.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocephus View Post
    I don't use the 580G lenses anymore even though I love them...my eye doctor gave me a stern lecture and showed me pictures of one of her patients that had a jig come back and hit him in his Costa glass lenses. It shattered and the guys eye was shredded.
    that's what i'm doing...replacing all of my 580g's with 580p's for safety and weight savings. will need to list all of these saltbreak 580g's soon

5. Member
    Is there a warranty , if you brought them used . I have a pair i brought here on the board . The rubber on the tips is coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Is there a warranty , if you brought them used . I have a pair i brought here on the board . The rubber on the tips is coming off.
    Limited lifetime warranty..might be some kind of charge, but they will fix them.

https://www.costadelmar.com/on/deman...eate/question1

7. Member
    Love my Costas. Just got them back from being repaired. They look like brand new.

8. Member
    I have had 4 pair of Costas. 2 each of the Tag and Salt Break. All 4 had to be sent back due to the rubber coming apart. On the Tags, the rubber seemed like it just disintegrated on the ear piece and the part around the nose just came loose. Once these replacements wear out I will probable explore other brands.

Benny Rigney

9. Member
    I had two pairs of Man-o-Wars and both par got sent back 2 times each and covered under warranty. Last time they were discontinued and gave me a choice on what to get. I got Tuna Alleys 580g and loved them. Next pair I paid difference and got the Howler with the 1.5 readers blue gray and LOVE them. Could not do without them now my eyes are getting worse close up.

IF there is anyone on here from Costa and reads this, you need to make a green/amber reader for us river fishermen!
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Just bought a pair of Brine's off Steep N Cheap and they are great! Sent my Zane's off yesterday for lens replacements $100 for replacement and shipping. I've got three pairs and love them. The repair of the rubber is a free replacement.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwrong View Post
    Maybe I need to look again. I bought a pair of saltbreak and Corbina and all the rubber fell off within the last year.
    my 580 G Tuna Alleys that I ordered on everyone's glowing recommendations did the same. They were built late 15 to early 2016. I might get some crazy glue. Or send them back. Also there is a tiny dot on one lens and I didn't do it.. I think they migh delaminate next.
    Last edited by Basswhippa; 08-24-2017 at 07:07 AM.

12. Member
    Tge rubber nose piece is comming off of my prescription Costa Tunna Alley's. I need to send them in but they're my only pair of prescription sunglasses and I wear them daily, hate to be without for however long it takes to fix but guess it's my only option. They're less than a year old.

13. Banned
    sent mine back for rubber and they send me a new pair. not bad for $11

14. Member
    $5 Yum sun glasses for me
    Hi Mike.

15. Banned
    I got my Costa Luke pair in the mail a week or so ago from Steep and Cheap. They have the 400g lenses and the lenses were much lighter than the 400g lens I got in an older model pair about 6 years ago...the frames didn't seem as solid as the older pair either.

I agree with you 100%. They seem to be marketing it as lighter-weight frames, lighter-weight lens, etc. but I think it's just BS where they are trying to justify their lower product cost while maintaining the high retail price. I would rather have them be a little heavier and more solidly built. I paid $70 for the Costa Luke model, I would be highly disappointed if I had paid the $189 that Bass Pro has them advertised for.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I got my Costa Luke pair in the mail a week or so ago from Steep and Cheap. They have the 400g lenses and the lenses were much lighter than the 400g lens I got in an older model pair about 6 years ago...the frames didn't seem as solid as the older pair either.

I agree with you 100%. They seem to be marketing it as lighter-weight frames, lighter-weight lens, etc. but I think it's just BS where they are trying to justify their lower product cost while maintaining the high retail price. I would rather have them be a little heavier and more solidly built. I paid $70 for the Costa Luke model, I would be highly disappointed if I had paid the $189 that Bass Pro has them advertised for.
    Kinda feel the same about mine. I ordered the Prop frames off steep and cheap in the green 400G lens and I think the $70 I paid was fair, but $180 wouldn't have settled real well. The lenses really are good I believe, and the fit/finish on the frames is nice. The frame quality, hinges, etc do not feel particularly high quality.

17. Member
    I've had problems with both pairs I've owned. First pair of Fantails, I sent back to them 3 times because the rubber nose piece came off. Finally, on the 3rd return they offered me a whole new frame. I went with the Fisch frames, and within 1 month the costa symbol on one side fell out, they sent me a replacement. Now a year later the rubber on one of the arm is coming off. I will probably send them off to be repaired again. Sell them or keep as a spare, and go back to Oakley.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    The lenses really are good I believe, and the fit/finish on the frames is nice. The frame quality, hinges, etc do not feel particularly high quality.
    Right, just not like they have been in the past. I think they did good to establish themselves with a good product, but now they are trying to cut corners and I believe it will cost them in the long run if they don't change their ways.

I'm also not feeling happy about the newer Costa's. Their customer service and warranty teams are good, but I've had to replace the frame due to delamination on one set and on another set, the hinge screw keeps backing out. I used to be all about Solar Bat until I experienced the lens clarity of Costas. Now I'm contemplating on moving back.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Mine have been good, have been replaced under warranty, been looking for another pair to replace and have as back ups. Just got a pair from Solar Bat, so far I like them and far cheaper.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast