Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    I can say the same.If you don't like my post move on. I have had several people PM saying that they are tired of it also. You know a lot about Garmin and more than I will ever know and you have helped a lot of people on here but it get's old. I am on here to learn about how to use my Garmin better and not you still crying about being lied too. We get it.

2. Member
    Garmin *could* transmit 455, wait for returns (at the speed of sound in water, it's a VERY short amount of time to wait), then transmit 800 and wait for returns. They could display the echos in different windows. If they 'aimed' the elements more out to the side than down, higher freqs would be directional more to the side than down.

Just an FYI.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    Garmin *could* transmit 455, wait for returns (at the speed of sound in water, it's a VERY short amount of time to wait), then transmit 800 and wait for returns. They could display the echos in different windows. If they 'aimed' the elements more out to the side than down, higher freqs would be directional more to the side than down.

Just an FYI.
    Oops - mis-read your post. I think thats exactly what they are doing. They cant ping both frequencies at the same time from a single element. Troy was supposed to be asking his secrete agent to comment on that and other things, but we havent heard back from him yet.

Lwinchester2 is currently working his fingers to the bone (and giving up fishing time) doing a series of tests comparing a CV52 and GT52 side by side. The discussion tends to get a bit technical at times, but anyone can skip over that junk and look at his screen shots and decide for themselves how the two compare.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=827658
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

4. Member
    Just wondering.. Whats the difference in the CV and GT Transducers? .... Lol.. Just kidding guys... Calm down, im just kidding...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Oops - mis-read your post. I think thats exactly what they are doing. They cant ping both frequencies at the same time from a single element. Troy was supposed to be asking his secrete agent to comment on that and other things, but we havent heard back from him yet.

Lwinchester2 is currently working his fingers to the bone (and giving up fishing time) doing a series of tests comparing a CV52 and GT52 side by side. The discussion tends to get a bit technical at times, but anyone can skip over that junk and look at his screen shots and decide for themselves how the two compare.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=827658
    I checked to see if you could have the Clearve and Sidevu on different frequencies while out on the water with my 93sv yesterday. I found that with the CV53HW the unit will not allow you to have the Sidevu and Clearvu on separate frequencies. No matter which one you change both are changed from 455 to 800 or vice-versa. You won't ever see Clearvu and Sidevu on seperate frequencies with the CV52HW connected to the unit. The only explanation is they both use the same elements in the transducer, thus changing frequencies on either one changes both. Those with the GT52HW have said they can set them on different frequencies proving they do have separate elements for each. The dedicated downscanning element of the GT52HW must be catching more info from the downcone in Clearvu which is not present in the side element image in the new CV transducer utilizing Clearvu. That's why we see more detail with the GT transducer. IMO of course.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-19-2017 at 07:53 AM.

6. Member
    This is very interesting and my 73sv with a gt52 also allows different frequencies. Your theory on that also supports the experiment I did blocking the separate elements and seeing the corresponding return on the unit go dark which to me meant that yes, the gt52 was using a down element and the side elements separately even though the latest update changed the wording on the screen from downvu to clearvu.

7. Member
    In regard to Larry's posts, I completely disagree that it gets old. As he said new people are on this board all the time and he merely explains, with much more detail than most are willing to type out, what the background of the situation is. I found it very helpful to read his posts in several threads.
    If a Garmin rep/engineer would get on the boards and post regularly then most of the speculative comments about how these things work would go away. The fact that there isn't one doing that is what is getting old to me.

What a potential game changer in customer support if they did that, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    I can say the same.If you don't like my post move on. I have had several people PM saying that they are tired of it also. You know a lot about Garmin and more than I will ever know and you have helped a lot of people on here but it get's old. I am on here to learn about how to use my Garmin better and not you still crying about being lied too. We get it.
    Agreed, I had to put him on ignore...it just gets old
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by mjk1210 View Post
    In regard to Larry's posts, I completely disagree that it gets old. As he said new people are on this board all the time and he merely explains, with much more detail than most are willing to type out, what the background of the situation is. I found it very helpful to read his posts in several threads.
    If a Garmin rep/engineer would get on the boards and post regularly then most of the speculative comments about how these things work would go away. The fact that there isn't one doing that is what is getting old to me.

What a potential game changer in customer support if they did that, huh?
    I agree with all points of your post sir. I also thank Larry for going into so much detail. I started this thread to learn something about the unit I'd just bought and the transducer that it came with. I've seen enough to convince me to talk to Garmin about swapping my CV transducer for a GT transducer. I want the best bang for the money I've spent. I think the units themselves are top notch and capable of doing much more with information than what the new CV transducers can give it. I do think should have made this with more memory knowing they were going to be upgrading the maps. I'd also like to see much more surveying of popular lakes to get them on the ultra map.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-19-2017 at 04:24 PM.

10. Member
    Thank you Larry

Wow! A Thread from almost 3 yrs ago.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123