Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    As a prior owner of the 7sv and 93sv (now it's a solix 12"), I have to say the these units, with the ~~ GT ~~ transducer, are fine units. If you got a CV transducer, I suggest you buy a GT52 transducer. I believe you'll be very happy with the images you get.
    I'm retired and don't have enough money to run out and buy another transducer for $300 after spending over $1000 on this unit. I thought I was getting a "fine unit" with what came in the box. I shouldn't have to buy another one, seeing as I thought I'd just bought the best technology that was out there. I really liked the way the Lowrance Down Imaging would show fish in tree tops and in schools. Individual fish now mind you. That's why I was set on the Elite 9. I should have stayed with my original plan, but I thought the Garmin Clearvu would do the same. Now I see it won't even show fish. Oh well, my loss is Garmin's gain I guess.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well make the best of it...I'm sure they are great units, just need to learn the unit how to tune it......I promise you if you would have gotten a Lowrance you would be wondering about the Garmin......between all the brands there are things that one will do that others wont.....I see that with my Lowrance units......If I had lots of money, I would buy some Garmin units to give them a try, until then I'll keep my Lowrance units unless I come across some good deals.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    And yet, you and Troy both dumped Garmin for Humminbirds better side and down......
    I wanted to go to a 12" screen, with more pixels. I was going to get a 1242 until the CV/GT mess, and HB's 1200 MHz was intriguing.

What really set me to the solix was the fact that I could find out all of its capabilities, where garmin hasn't published much info for a buyer to peruse. And there's almost no one posting info (well, at least from last fall thru spring) on the 1242...

User setup will determine how poorly either system works. You must adjust sensitivity, filtering, and zoom ranges as conditions change, or suffer poorer display than the other guy who has made adjustments - regardless of brand. The settings I found best are no where near what the HB experts usually suggest. They might be right most of the time, but not on my water.

And how many of you have used an inclinometer to actually get your transducer perfectly level? I was astonished to find out how much my boat leans... MUCH more than I thought it did.

4. Member
    Wanted to look at a 1042xsv this fall but there are alot of nice prices on other comparible units out there.Why should I want to chance a software update that would change my transducer labeling to CV when they are GT ducers , I dont trust that at all. I have 3 echomap units that I am pretty satisfied with other than SV and its not really that far off, but one of my 93sv units is freezing up every now and then and if I pop it out of the cradle and restart it is fine. So I will keep doing rather than chance the new update and degrade my units performance and as a loyal garmin follower and future buyer I shouldnt have to.

5. Banned
    Larry if you hate Garmin so much why are you still on a Garmin board. You just keep kicking the dog and I know I am getting tired of it. Everyone knows you hate Garmin. Please get it a rest.

6. Member
    The money that Larry has spent on his equipment and all the helpful advise he has given on here gives him every right to voice his opinion. He should expect his 7610 to have better guality images than my 93sv. Larry has always been fair to garmin he is just telling the truth in my eyes. Keep up the good work Larry,have to hear the pros vs cons or they could feed us anything.

7. Member
    Randall.. Have you called Garmin? Just wondering, what do they say?

Well, I just got back from the lake and found something out that should settle the downvu, clearvu and sidevue issue. My brand new 93sv with the CV52HW does not let you set the sidevu and clearvu to a different frequency. I had both on 800 and verified each was on 800. I then changed ONLY the sidevu to 455 by going to the home screen then to sidevu. I checked sidevu and yep....455. I then opened up the clearvue and it was on 455. Both now on 455 with only the sidevu being changed. I then went to home and changed the clearvu to 800. Lo and behold both sidevu and clearvu were on 800. The only way that is possible is that both use the same element in the transducer. Occam's Razor, (The simplest answer is usually correct) says there is no downscan element on the CV52HW. So, for what it's worth they lied about the CV52HW being a name only change. Garmin wouldn't admit it no longer has a downscan element and utilizes the sidevu element like Humminbird. I wonder if HB will sue them now? LOL

On a good note, I did find a school of crappie this morning and caught several 11" to 13.5" and brought 4 home for supper tonight. I still don't like being lied to though.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-18-2017 at 11:26 AM.

9. Member
    I have the gt52hw and it will let ne change frequency on both... Good find

Randall.. Have you called Garmin? Just wondering, what do they say?

No I haven't. I started to, but I couldn't find a number to call. Guess I'll just use what I've got. I shouldn't have talked myself out of the Elite 9 after I had made up my mind on it. I really love their downscan imaging and I use it the most to find crappie. Oh well. Water under the bridge now. I've just got to learn this unit and move on. Garmin will not be getting good references from me however.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-18-2017 at 11:27 AM.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1 View Post
    The money that Larry has spent on his equipment and all the helpful advise he has given on here gives him every right to voice his opinion. He should expect his 7610 to have better guality images than my 93sv. Larry has always been fair to garmin he is just telling the truth in my eyes. Keep up the good work Larry,have to hear the pros vs cons or they could feed us anything.

He has voiced his opinion over and over and we get it. Larry is very knowledgeable but it does get old. If he gives insight that is different but he just keeps bashing. It does get old. I get on this board to learn more about Garmin products. The problem has been talked about and beat to death.

12. Member
    Actually, it lets me change frequencies on Gt52, but i never aactually looked to see if it stayed changed... I will check the next time im out...

Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    Larry if you hate Garmin so much why are you still on a Garmin board. You just keep kicking the dog and I know I am getting tired of it. Everyone knows you hate Garmin. Please get it a rest.
    It's kinda like TV Coach....don't read his posts and they won't bother you. I for one enjoy getting information and what he is saying may help others make smarter choices when they buy a product.

14. Member
    Mine is a yr old 93sv. GT52HW. I can set freq's independently sv vs dv. They stay where set. I did the 4.10 upgrade that changed the nomenclature to clearvu rather that downvu. If it changed anything functionally on the unit I certainly cannot tell so. I fish quite shallow and I am more impressed with the dv than the sv. I don't do pics, but I have seen some really nice screens will fishing. I am only going less than 1 mph as I only have a TM, most of what I observe is less than .5 mph. Admittedly this is my first sv/dv type unit so maybe I haven't the experience to compare to others, but I'm not jumping off the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by msn26753 View Post
    Actually, it lets me change frequencies on Gt52, but i never aactually looked to see if it stayed changed... I will check the next time im out...
    The fact that you can change one without the other following as in my test this morning tells me the GT52 has sidescan elements and downscan elements. I'd be money each one will stay on whatever it's set on at shutdown.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Mine is a yr old 93sv. GT52HW. I can set freq's independently sv vs dv. They stay where set. I did the 4.10 upgrade that changed the nomenclature to clearvu rather that downvu. If it changed anything functionally on the unit I certainly cannot tell so. I fish quite shallow and I am more impressed with the dv than the sv. I don't do pics, but I have seen some really nice screens will fishing. I am only going less than 1 mph as I only have a TM, most of what I observe is less than .5 mph. Admittedly this is my first sv/dv type unit so maybe I haven't the experience to compare to others, but I'm not jumping off the wagon.
    I am in contact with Someone at Garmin on mine... I really wonder about my DV.. I have a Raymarine Dragonfly and it is Crystal Clear... I expected somewhat of the same with the Garmin.. May Garmin seams like it misses everything my Dragonfly is picking up.. I definately need to learn how to play with the settings to see how clear I need to get it... Hopefully I can get it somewhat close.. I understand there will be differences, but mine is night and day difference.. Sideview is good but Downvu /clearvu is bad...

Quote Originally Posted by msn26753 View Post
    I am in contact with Someone at Garmin on mine... I really wonder about my DV.. I have a Raymarine Dragonfly and it is Crystal Clear... I expected somewhat of the same with the Garmin.. May Garmin seams like it misses everything my Dragonfly is picking up.. I definately need to learn how to play with the settings to see how clear I need to get it... Hopefully I can get it somewhat close.. I understand there will be differences, but mine is night and day difference.. Sideview is good but Downvu /clearvu is bad...
    I looked at the Dragonfly at Cabelas before buying my Garmin. It did have good looking images on the simulator. If you will, please post the results of your conversation them. I'd like to hear what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Well make the best of it...I'm sure they are great units, just need to learn the unit how to tune it......I promise you if you would have gotten a Lowrance you would be wondering about the Garmin......between all the brands there are things that one will do that others wont.....I see that with my Lowrance units......If I had lots of money, I would buy some Garmin units to give them a try, until then I'll keep my Lowrance units unless I come across some good deals.....
    Yes. I've just got to learn how to use it. I found a school of crappie this morning with it. That's what counts in the end. I do like the large screen after using one of the small ones for so long.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
    I looked at the Dragonfly at Cabelas before buying my Garmin. It did have good looking images on the simulator. If you will, please post the results of your conversation them. I'd like to hear what they say.
    I just sent you a PM...

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    Well coach, if Troy would quit repeating Garmins crazy, infuriating excuses that basically say customers are stupid, I would quit responding to him. Do you think its only appropriate to let the fan boys comment?

More importantly - I'm just quoting words and statements that came directly from Garmin support, Garmin reps and the website. Im not making anything up or exaggerating. Those were Garmins words to Garmins customers. If that upsets you, then I think you should take that up with Garmin rather than asking me to forgive and forget.

As far as it being beat to death, there are new users coming to this board every day. Dont you think they deserve to know the truth? And finally, what about all the people that got screwed? You want us to just forget them and sweep them under the rug?

Friends of mine got screwed. I have no intention of forgetting that - or them - ever.

Finally, I am not going out of my way to bash Garmin. When someone else brings up the subject of SI/DI quality or the CV crap, I will respond with my views on the subject. I have every right to do that - as do you and Troy. I also am very careful to comment on the things Garmin does well - which I do at least as often as I bash them for the things they do poorly. Troy makes money selling Garmin products, so he has a money motivation to only praise and defend Garmin no matter what. I believe in being honest and fair in my comments. How is that bad?

As others have said, if you dont like what I say, just skip my posts. Some other boards have an 'Ignor' button. Maybe this board can add that so you dont even see my posts.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast