Thread: Prop slip?

Question Prop slip?

I've heard the term prop slip before but how can you tell when it's happening? I'vegot a 2001 Blazer 202 ProV with a Yamaha 225 and should be well into the 70's from what I hear. I'm running a 27p prop and the most I've got out of it is 66mph (I've had the boat 3 years now). I've tried raising the jack plate a bit but it didn't make much of a difference. When I get it on plane the RPMs seem normal but once it breaks over and I'm starting to get up to speed, I lose RPMs. If I back off a little and step on it again sometimes that will help. Other times it just randomly boosts and I have decent RPMs again. Could this be due to my prop slipping? RPM fluctuates between about 4400 and 5300 when this goes on. I feel like I should be in the upper 5000's. it just haven't got there. Should I try a different pitch prop? What pitch would you recommend?

2. Member
    my two cents I don't have 201 but if hulls is similar to 625 this is what I know trim motor till it starts to not be effective then start raising your jack plate very slow you should see rpm climb to about 5700-5800 and boat will hook up and get on pad don't over do it if all is ok with motor ia am running 27p and going to 26 finally got mine to approx. 5800 rpm and it was all in jack plate your wot seems low if all is ok 25 or 26 pitch should fix rpm

3. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    625 and 202 are totally different animals.

Its not prop slip........ It can be several things going on: bad set up, bad prop, or motor issues. What year model is your boat and motor? What is your shaft height? What is the make and model of the prop? What size jackplate do you have?