Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

206 Accident 😩

Driving to a tournament to pre-fish yesterday. We were driving 70 on the highway at about 6a.m. And was rear ended by a lady that "fell asleep" while passing people in the right lane going between 90-100mph. Luckily somehow we were not injured, but the boat.... well that's a different story.

Motor, mount and jack plate are complete toast. The rear frame of the trailer is badly bent along with both fenders. It bent the hitch from the impact so my guess is the break celenoid has to have issues. It shoved the boat about a foot and a half forward on the trailer which cracked the hull and left some pretty bad gouges. That's most of the obvious stuff. Smaller things like Onboard charger, oil tank, batteries, wiring etc. all have issues.

I'm happy to not be hurt, but I'm really sad about my boat. This was a beautiful 206! I'm hoping someone can give me some advice or maybe some things to pay attention to during the insurance process. Do you think it's even fixable?
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off let me say I'm glad no one was hurt and sorry about the boat. Everything is fixable just have to consider the cost and age of the boat. More than likely the insurance will total it and you'll have some decisions to make.

Glad your okay. Boat is junk as far as if it was mine. Have you tow veh. checked at a good frame shop. Tell them what happened.

I carry a full coverage flat rate replacement policy on mine just in case something like this happens.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Banned
    If it were my boat, I think I'd rather them total it as well. Too many hidden things that could have been damaged.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Glad yo are OK ... A very clean 206 is impossible to replace. Her insurance company needs to know that.

6. Pat Goff
    Dang....I hate stupid people. You found one of their queens.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    Having lived up there for a long time, the freeways in MI can be like playing russian roulette. Damned sorry to see this, glad no one is hurt. Not much to add, as said I think I'd also want to make double sure the tow vehicle wasn't any more damaged since that could have it's own safety issues and damages. Any report of a wreck involving the to vehicle, and you take a hit on value there too.

Boat is a tough one. As Reg said, finding an exact model replacement would be really tough, as we all know, not sure if they can factor that in or not. I would think to really inspect the hull for damage, you'd need to remove some things in order to check for cracks, etc. For example, on my 191, with the fuel tank out and the trolling motor pedal tray out, you can visually inspect a lot of the boat on the inside. I would think if there aren't any visible cracks along the stringers the liklihood of any major internal damage would be low, but it's definitely a bit judgement call.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Glad yo are OK ... A very clean 206 is impossible to replace. Her insurance company needs to know that.
    My experience with insurance is that the don't care about that at all. They only care about paying the least they can. I would start getting prices anywhere that you can find

9. Member
    Bummer, glad you didn't get hurt,
    Hope insurance is easy to deal with.

10. Member
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Truck is going in tomorrow, with how bad the hitch/ receptacle were bent wouldn't surprise me one bit if it had issues too.

Replacing it will be almost impossible. ive started searching for similar models and putting together a fair price WHEN insurance puts up a fight. They can't justify fixing it right?

I'd say a total loss. It sucks but you walked away from it, thankfully.

Glad you are okay, boats can be replaced. Hopefully you can just move to a new rig, your insurance company and coverage will determine how well you do with that whole process.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    They can't justify fixing it right?
    if they want to fight you and go that route, I would bring it to C & O and when they get the estamite to replace everything back to new, I will bet you get paid!

14. Member
    They will more than likely total it and let you keep the boat. That's what state farm did with my 88 champion when I got rear ended. They paid off the bank loan and I kept the boat. Assuming yours is paid for, so not sure how they will handle it. I hope they come through for you and you're able to find another champ. Glad nobody got hurt.

15. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    So sorry this happened. and also very glad nobody was hurt.
    In my past experience, I only scraped a phone pole down the side of my 1999, 202dc and ruined the flake and gel for like 4 feet. The estimate I got for $8300 did not matter. They didn't care that it is a "classic", and that it could not be replaced, or what I had just put on it as accessories.
    What they do is a "comparison evaluation". They look on line and find "similar" boats of your model, motor, electronics, poles, whatever, and what those are worth is what they base your compensation for the boat as a whole.

Mine had new TM and New lowrance Gen 2's, New Rapid Jack, motor work, replaced pumps/hoses...etc. None of that mattered. They wanted all of what was ON the boat when they took it for salvage.
    I was like no way! The person they sent out didn't even know about boats, and went by a chart on line to determine it's worth. Unbelievable!
    Anyway, they said they would give me 2/3rds of the estimate, based on their research, and I could keep the boat, OR...they would give me the estimate cost and take the boat/trailer and everything on it.
    I took the 2/3rds and had it repaired...What a rip!

That was American Family Ins. Hope yours is better to you, than mine was to me.
    Last edited by Fidgetcranker; 07-16-2017 at 02:32 PM.

16. Member
    Call a lawyer. You might wind up in a new Charger 210.

17. Member
    Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. Glad you were okay. Replacing a clean 206 is going to be tough. I see other 206's for sale that are nowhere near as clean as mine. Getting a comp would be tough. If their insurance isn't handling it like you think yours would, file it on yours and have them subrugate. Good luck!
    Champion 206
    250XB

18. Member
    I may contact a lawyer Charlie, but something tells me I won't end up in a new rig. But wouldn't that be nice!

Im interested to see what happens in the next couple days. I will for sure keep everyone up to date.

19. Member
    Good luck. MI still have the no fault insurance policy stuff? It's been a while, I remember years ago, it was really hard to get fair treatment.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    Call a lawyer. You might wind up in a new Charger 210.
    Yes Yes Yes...if someone rear ended me and my boat while minding my own business...a Lawyer is the only person I would talk too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast