Exhaust through hub - or not!

Yesterday I went out cruising with a friend who also has a 225 Opti.
    By chance, we discovered that there was no exhaust coming through my hub at idle, but plenty on my buddys Opti.

Are there any differences in design that explains this?

Both Optis runs strong and idles smoothly, but mine has a coarser sound.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by prepsdk; 07-16-2017 at 03:31 AM. Reason: text is edited
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

2. Member
    Maybe the exhaust relief ports in your buddies tuner are clogged with carbon and yours are clear??? I cleaned my idle relief ports recently when I had the power head off and wow what a difference. Before cleaning at idle very little exhaust came out of the exhaust tube by the tell tale and the bubbles from the prop would get you wet. Now just the opposite. At idle very little out of the prob and the port by the tell tale sounds like a swarm of bumble bees.

3. Member
    There no water coming out one of the motor as it idle. The Air Compressor is not getting water . I would check the compressor filter ,to see if its stopped up . Plus the exhuast problem .

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstep View Post
    Maybe the exhaust relief ports in your buddies tuner are clogged with carbon and yours are clear??? I cleaned my idle relief ports recently when I had the power head off and wow what a difference. Before cleaning at idle very little exhaust came out of the exhaust tube by the tell tale and the bubbles from the prop would get you wet. Now just the opposite. At idle very little out of the prob and the port by the tell tale sounds like a swarm of bumble bees.
    Jstep, This is exactly what I thought could be the culprit.

My idle relief ports were drilled out 50 hours ago when I had the powerhead of, although they weren't clogged much.

We'll do a visual check om the ports with the LU removed, when we are changing the water pump shortly.
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    There no water coming out one of the motor as it idle. The Air Compressor is not getting water . I would check the compressor filter ,to see if its stopped up . Plus the exhuast problem .
    rchavis - why do you think the air compressor isn't getting cooling water? - it's peeing strong from the tell tale which is water dumped from the air comp.
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

6. Member
    Sorry bad eyes i see it now on the second pic where , the people are .

It appears in the pic that one is a small hub prop, similar to a Trophy, and then other is a large hub prop, similar to a Bravo. The small hub prop will have much less exhaust directly out of the hub, compared to a large hub prop. Exhaust will follow the path of least resistance,
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Member
    +1 ON what Gamblinman said above .....the small prop is a over and thru , while the large barrel is all thru hub .

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    It appears in the pic that one is a small hub prop ...
    Gamblinman - Both props are large hub props. Bravo 1 and Tempest Plus.
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prepsdk View Post
    Gamblinman - Both props are large hub props. Bravo 1 and Tempest Plus.
    Must be a reflection in the water because those both look like 4 blade props in that first set of pics.

After looking closely at the second set, they both look like 3 blades.

LOL.....playing mind games with my old eyes...maybe I need new glasses.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

11. Member
    Don,

Would you agree a clogged tuner is the culprit or is it differences in the design that causes this?
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

12. Member
    Yep could be the idle holes in the exhaust tuner stopped up or about stopped up ?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prepsdk View Post
    Don,

Would you agree a clogged tuner is the culprit or is it differences in the design that causes this?
    Possibly... but I suspect we're looking at two engines with DIFFERENT tuners.

REEDS may also be a variable.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Good eyes and skills ...missed that 05 -07