My Dad shared an old Forest Wood story that I thought you all might like to hear...

My Dad is 78 and tell's the story like this...

Around the mid 1960's, mom, me. and my dad headed to Arkansas in his grey Cadillac. We intended to fish the noted lakes for bass and the white river for trout. We started at Table Rock lake, mom hit the swimming pool. My Dad and I hired a guide and the fishing was tough and we were disappointed. So we headed to Bull shoals Lake and Crow Barnes resort. When we checked in we asked about a guide to take us on the White river. Happened to mention we were not happy with our Table Rock guide. So the folks at the resort said a guide by the name of Forest Wood would meet us in the morning. The next morning Forrest showed up in his red pick up towing his flat bottom John boat. I remember he was wearing a red plaid shirt, jeans and a straw cowboy hat when he picked us up

We put in about two miles below the dam and started out fishing with corn kernels. Missed a good trout that Forrest was upset about. Other boats showed up as it was obvious Forrest was the man. One got to close and Forrest sent a message by casting a lure into the boat. They moved on.
    As we drifted down the river tactics changed to small garden worms threaded on the hooks by Forrest and finally small spoons as the river began to rise from the dam release. Mom got a serious sun tan and we all caught our limit of trout. A great day with a shore lunch of fried chicken provided by Forrest's wife.

Within the last three years on a trip home from aunt Janet's I stopped to fish the White River. This time I went over to the Ranger boat company to see if I might get a chance to see Forrest. His secretary said he was out but showed me his office and took my name. Forrest has created a heck of a lot of jobs in flippin, Ark. he has stuff named after him. A real quality man and I had the chance to meet and know him. In my old photo's and maybe an old 8mm movie. Are some nice memories.

2. Member
    Cool story man!

3. Member
    Wow. Great story!
    2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

4. Member
    I can see that all the way. You had me hooked!

Thanks for sharing your story, I really enjoyed it.

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

Cool story , thanks for sharing

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

7. Member
    The Forrest Wood story is why I bought a Ranger.
    Thanks for this 'slice of life' ....
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

8. Member
    He is the nicest, smartest man I have ever met.

I enjoyed reading your memories

Thanks for sharing!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

11. Member
    Appreciate your post. I met Mr. Wood at a B.A.S.S. Classic and talked with him and Dennys Bauer about 15 minutes..definitely the highlight of my visit.

Great story, thanks for sharing

See- spot jumping is not a new thing. Forrest is a great man. Very well respected in north arkansas

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

I went to a Bass fishing instructional thing in the early 80's. My dad was on his third or fourth Ranger by then so I knew who Forrest was. My dad signed me up for the youth instructional series for the whole day. I had instructors like Shad Shadid, Tom Mann Sr., Bobby Murray and Forrest Wood. When I got to Forrest's class, I was the only kid in there. I was 10 years old and got a whole hour with Forrest, all by myself. He knew my dad, so it was pretty cool. We talked about a lot of fishing techniques, but I kept telling him how cool his boats were. He gave me a Ranger hat and signed it. It was super cool. What a great man. Have met Nina a few times since then and they are just great people. What a blessing to Flippin, Ark

That's me at the bottom of the picture conversing with Forrest L Wood. We had just finished having lunch with him and Nina in the the Forrest L Wood Museum. We were there in April 2006 for a BBC/Ranger Boat Rally and this was following our Ranger Factory tour. We had no idea he was going to join us, but it certainly was a hi-light of the trip. He was very gracious that day and a true delight to meet and talk to. I will never forget it!!

Thanks for sharing your story, brought back my memories as well!
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

16. Tony C
    Neat story.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

17. Member
    When he guided my dad for the first time he took him and his bud straight across the river at Buffalo City and had them cast to the bank, then called back to Nina as to where the take out would be, a bad cast got the closer take out point, their two good casts got them to Norfork,

On another trip when my mother commented about how he was wrapping up the left over chicken he explained that it would be his supper.

Outstanding story, thank you for sharing.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)