Struggling with Trailer Steps

I've had my Puma for about a month now and have been out several times. I love the trailer steps getting in and out of boat at the ramp, but man they are awkward getting out. I just have not found 'the right way' to use them getting out. I know everything BCB does is well thought out and there's a reason for how they are designed. I just haven't figured it out. My usual method getting out of boat after driving on trailer has been - left foot on bow, grab top of pole and place right foot on top step. After that it gets awkward. Top step is almost too small for both feet and 2nd step is very tiny and I've never really 'found' it. It's too small and hidden under top step. I usually skip it and try and go all the way to large bottom step, but it kind of twist me up trying to go left foot from bow to bottom step.

It's better than nothing, but I'm confident there's a way to do it that is much easier than I'm experiencing.

2. Member
    I haven't had ant problem with it. You pretty much described how to do it, just don't miss the second step. I wouldn't have a boat that didn't have it.

Right to the fiberglass step, left to the small step, right foot on top of the winch and step into the boat.

4. Member
    They are not designed nor intended to be used with both feet on one step at the same time.....I have no issues getting in and out of my boat and I'm 48. I could see if you're getting up there in age it may be a little tricky.

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    While getting out of the boat. I put my left foot on the bow, right foot on the top step, then while holding onto the pole, I put my left foot on the trailer tongue behind the pole, then right foot down to the ground.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Right to the fiberglass step, left to the small step, right foot on top of the winch and step into the boat.
    That's getting in which is easy. I'm finding getting out of the boat to be the awkward part. Why is the 2nd step so small? If it was big enough to stick out from under the top step, it would be much more useful. I found a thread on the BCB forum from I think from 2013 where somebody bolted a bigger piece to the middle step and I thought BCB said they were looking into something like that.

I strongly recommend Skateboard tape on the bow where you step. It makes that step easier and safer, you can match any color and you get a lifetime supply for only a few bucks...
    2008 BassCat Pantera IV
    www.chestercountybassmasters.com

8. Member
    My puma has a spot of non slip pad in couple of spots on bow. The very front area is not big for a size 12 but is at an angle (maybe 15-20 degrees) to prevent slipping even more. Actually last time out, I figured out a move that helped a lot. After I used right foot to get on top step I used all my athletic and dance abilities to spin my right foot 90 degrees and place left foot on top step next to my right foot them easily make step to bottom step. Middle step is still useless but the agile spin move made the process very easy.