Finally bought a Gambler now 1,000 questions...

Well I finally bought a 1993 206 with a 96 Mercury 225 EFI, the boat has a few issues and I am willing to work on it. Now I have never owned a boat like this and have tons of questions. 1st I would like to wet sand and buff the boat the finish on the boat is cloudy and a few cracks/blisters? Would that be the correct way to fix it? 2nd the gauges are old and few work and the gambler site has few that I need. 3rd The livewells are both cracked can I replace them or caulk/epoxy them? 4th The rear compartment is filthy I was thinking simple green would be the choice. 5th the trailer is confusing to me with the surge brakes. 6th the throttle/ trim handle only puts the 225 in gear and the rest is controlled by the hot foot? I would also like to update the handle to a newer one is that hard to replace? 7th I want to install a 36v system I have seen on the gambler site how to do it but is it worth the trouble? I know I will be asking more questions but those are the ones that come to mind now. Thanks

To answer your 4th ? .....I have taken my batteries out and cleaned my compartment with Awesome a few times, can't stand it to be dirty.
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

3. Member
    Thanks man, do you have a hot foot? That's the only way I can throttle up the the handle only puts the boat in forward or reverse.

4. Member
    The hotfoot is a lot safer in higher speed bass boats in case of unforeseen incidents. If you hit something or pass out for some reason it lets off the throttle for you.

5. Member
    As for the trolling motor I had a 70 lb Maxxum and I just upgraded to an 80 lb Maxxum Pro with the lift assist and I have plenty of power for my 20 ft Intimidator. Unless your fishing really heavy grass or in a high currant river system were you would be on the troller full time I personally wouldn't want the cost and extra weight of a 36 volt system.

6. Member
    By the way Welcome to the Brotherhood !

7. Member
    Thanks TN, So the side mount control only controls forward and reverse and the hot foot controls speed?

8. Member
    Yes , just be sure not to put it in gear with the hotfoot depressed and having the rpm's to high. Also when you do put it in gear push it into forward or reverse with one quick motion. Don't try to ease it into gear slowly because it will grind and put more wear on the gears.

9. Member
    Ok cause I didn't know and my first thought was I f****** broke it.. lol

10. Member
    What do you guys do about the trailer brakes? The surge system is something I've never came across.