Shark Surf Fishing

I'm heading down to Panama City next week and plan to try my luck with the sharks from the surf. I've got one round reel and rod that is plenty big enough to handle the shark and bait. I've got another spinning combo that the rod will throw up to 4oz weights. I'm gonna attempt to fish with that rod as well. My big question is for those of you who have fished this way for sharks before how far out do I need to get the bait? I don't have a kayak so that's not an option and I'm sure not about to swim the bait out there. I've been reading that blacktips will come in less than 50 yes from the shore. If I'm only able to get the bait out less than 50yds will I have a decent opportunity to hook up with a shark?

2. Member
    I see a lot guys shark fishing while I am surf fishing the Atlantic side during the winter. As far as the rig goes, the important thing seems to be drag capacity. The really big reels have it but the small reels don't. You want to be able to really crank it down to stop the run. Some go so far as to dig a fighting pit, so they can sit and brace their feet against the side of the pit. Many are successful using a long lob with a big bait and weight but I do see kayaks in use.

I see you are going to Panama City. I understand the beach there is pretty flat so not sure how close the sharks get. On the Atlantic side the surf carves troughs that allow the sharks to cruise close to shore.

3. Member
    I'm not far from PC, I'm on St George Island and I do a lot of surf fishing for pompano and whiting. I've seen 6-7ft black tips and bull sharks swimming inside the breakers which is literally calf deep water. If you can't get past the first sand bar which usually runs parallel to the beach about 70-75 yards out, the first trough is your best bet. The troughs will vary in depth but that's where they like to hunt. If water is clear, which it's usually crystal clear at PC, you can clearly see the bar and everything between you and the bar is the trough. Keep your bait inside that area. Use a bait that produces a good oil slick, as in Bonita, king mackerel or Spanish Mack. Sharks tend to like fresh cut bait, not old stinky stuff. Cut sting ray works well also. As far as getting the big sharks with the gear you have, all I can say is hold on and hope he runs parallel with beach and not out which they usually do. Most of the feeding times are early morning and late in the afternoon, if you can get an outgoing tide early morning or late afternoon would be ideal fishing time. I got spooled for 300 yards of 50lb mono, which is super light for big sharks, and with 30lbs of drag. But it was fun. I also recommend using circle hooks as they set in corner of mouth every time and make releasing a lot easier. Last week on the island here, a fella landed an 8ft Tiger, but he had his bait about 200 yards out and had some serious equipment. Good luck, the best info is trial and error!!
    Last edited by Ranger200c; 07-17-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    2000 Ranger Bay 200c
    2000 Mercury 225 EFI