Wisconsin Rivers

Looking for a good small mouth northern Wisconsin River that has enough water to use a small river jet. Rocky rapids are a no go for me. Any suggestions such as the Chippewa, Flambeau, St. Croix or ? Once I did fish the WIsconsin RIver between Merrill and Wausau so that was ok. Thanks.

2. Member
    Menominee would be my choice

3. Member
    Menomonee is a good choice

I have been there. Quit going when the fly fishers took it over a few years ago.

5. Member
    I had a ball catching several nice smallies in the St. Croix last September. Fished north of the dam at Taylor Falls. Water is plenty deep for miles. Just hit the rocks on the west side with a white swim jig and a regular size white Skinny Dipper and got a sore arm!
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

That is certainly worth considering. I did not know how much boatable water there was above Taylor Falls. Thanks a lot.

7. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    That is the last thing I want to hear when I am fishing a small River in the Northwoods... A F'n Jet boat.. It is bad enough with all the Harleys roaring thru the winding roads when you are fishing.

8. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 08-14-2017 at 03:38 PM.

9. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I agree with you Snickers, They should outlaw all canoes and Kayaks North of Hwy 8. Anyone with a canoe or kayak is a yanker. I have an old Lund I keep just for floating the Rivers. I am always running into them Yankers when I am fishing Muskies on the Man. or Flam.

Didn't mean to stir it up fellows. I pride myself on keeping motoring to a minimum anywhere I travel and fish. I like to be responsible and quiet. I found out years ago that an aluminum jet is just way more comfortable to fish from than a canoe or kayak and I'm getting up there a bit in age. I run a 40/30 which is plenty big enough for 2. Down south in the Ozarks we see some outlandish jets with plenty of 150-250 outboards. Those are dangerous at +50 mph on streams, and most of those guys are just out to boat ride all day with their buds. They just tear up the water and make for a very unpleasant day for me. Those jet runners I could do without.

Lol that is comment of the year for the Wisconsin forum!

12. Member
    Wisconsin River, really anywhere not accessable by a prop boat. Big enough to be able to give the canoe and kayak folks a wide berth and to small to be crowded. Some good stretches between Tomahawk and Merril. South of Sauk City/Prairie du Sac down to the Mississippi as well.

13. Member
    Menominee R Grand Rapids flowage. Such a good time, the fish in that pool just seem to carry a little more weight better than most of the others.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!