Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

721 250 sho set up. Disapointing so far

I have just got to the 7.5 hour mark with my 2010 721 and new 250 sho. I can't figure this set up out for the life of me. I have owned cats/tritions/Rangers and Skeeters over the last 12 years. This will be 3rd season with the bird but first with a SHO. I will say the sho has great hole shot and mid range but right now I'm kind of regretting not staying with the Xs. I made a 2.5 hour run this morning and the best speed I saw was 70.1mph at 5800 rpm. This was with a 25 T1 / 2 talons no tackle and was down under a half tank and solo. The boat just doesn't handle like it did with the Merc. I could drive it one handed before at 75mph. I tried 25 fury and 26 fury as well. 25 fury was 73 mph at 5500 no talons. With this being said it was one of the scariest rides of my life. The 26 fury had horrible hole shot and would only run 70mph at 5200. I do have a hydro jack plate and have tried multiple hieghts.It seems to run best around 3 on the jack but when I trip up to high it's absolutely nuts.making oil is just another bummer. Everyone says how much they love these things and maybe someday I will too but with 2 weeks to go before a couple big events im kinda discouraged. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

1) that SHO needs to be as close as possible to 6000 rpm. That will help from making oil, get the rings seated, read up on here.

2) they like to run higher than the Mercs a lot of times, Fury prob isnt going to be the best prop for you, esp loaded heavy with talons. Drewtick (and other Bird owners) might be able to help you better with prop selection, but a T1 will prob be better.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    1) that SHO needs to be as close as possible to 6000 rpm. That will help from making oil, get the rings seated, read up on here.

2) they like to run higher than the Mercs a lot of times, Fury prob isnt going to be the best prop for you, esp loaded heavy with talons. Drewtick (and other Bird owners) might be able to help you better with prop selection, but a T1 will prob be better.
    I have spent hours reading up on the oil making.Thats why I ran the crap out of it today.(or tried to )ran mostly between 5300-5800 rpm but no wot for longer than 5. The fury was faster and I felt it had more in it but like I said just to scary to drive. I wasn't expecting an 80mph boat but when Rangers are passing you in a 721 you have issues lol. At the end of the day I would be happy with 73-74mph loaded

4. Member
    There is a Facebook page for Phoenix boat owners. There is a guy on there that has a tremendous amount of knowledge about the Yamaha. If you post on there he will respond.

5. Member
    He goes by catch n cull baits. Look him up.

6. Member
    The Sho runs a lot higher then the XS.

7. Member
    Get your ptp up around 2-3/4" and that should be close. The t1 needs to be balanced and it will handle better. I haven't experienced this but some guys say that they run easier with a little weight in them. I guess it balances the boat a little. You should be able to see 75 or 76 ready to fish if you can drive it, which sounds like you can. The fury's aren't real good matches for the sho, a tempest isn't bad. I want to try a bravo. The sho has the torque to spin it good and with the speed and handling of a good bravo it should be a performer

I dont own a Phoenix but I am on my second SHO and they are a pain to get set up. Heat and humidity seems to affect them much more than 2 strokes. It also takes the SHO a little more time to loosen up power wise. I remember you repowered from a Merc to the SHO so I would have the dealer check to make sure throttle travel is maxed at WOT. This may also explain the lack of RPM's. I would think with a moderate load, you should be really close to 6k with a 25 pitch prop.

Just remember, it is the same boat but totally different engine which means you have to start over with set up. If you are getting excessive chine walk and have good water pressure pull back a little on the trim and bump the jackplate height up a click or two and see if it settles down. My last boat with a SHO would run mid to upper 70's and I could drive it with one finger but I spent many hours messing with props and motor height until I got it dialed in. Just hang in there and keep testing, you will get it dialed in.

9. Member
    3 on the plate is way to low Phoenix will handle like crap with it to low. Like others said the SHO likes to run high.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    you mentioned in another post you were getting the T1 locally used, has it already been worked for another boat of defiantly stock? either way if its used and wasn't BP for a Phoenix I would get it checked or get Mark to BP for your boat., also once again as everyone else said, jack it up. you cant get too high, if its acting weird running high on the Jack ,the trim is way off at that point. I suggest raising the jack plate all the way up, blast off easy once you get the trim to about 3/4 at wot, start bumping the jack plate down, check your trim gauge also be sure Full trim on the gauge is at the top of the 2 main trim cylinders, a lot of the yamaha trim gauges need calibrating. Running solo keep some weight in the rear port locker or livewell.
    I know you have been driving this boat a long time but that sho will make it handle like a different ride, also it will help when that breakin is over and you can take some long runs while making small adjustments to the height and trim.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

11. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Curious as to why you changed from Merc?...
    Anyway, I have a 921/sho...Stick with the 25p T1, Fury's are very hard to steer/control, as it seems you found out.
    Sounds like your JP is a Bob's?
    Also, what hole is your motor mounted in? Should be 1 hole above bottom hole. That way you won't put as much stress on JP when it's raised up to run. Before when my motor was 2 holes above bottom (probably where yours is now), I would take off out of the hole with my Bob's on 3 1/4 (1 dot past #3) and raise it to 4+ while trimming out...then one bump down on trim. That worked for me if you decide to try it.
    I do have a pretty high rooster tail at wot, but my boat hits best speeds like that. Your's may not.
    The Talons shouldn't affect your speed much, if at all. I have 10' blades, and I still prefer to put my heavier gear in rear hatches to help get more speed.

RPM's...Are you going by your Tach gauge? The Tach gauge settings for a Yamaha is different than the settings for the Merc. Your RPM's will read lower than they really are if the dip switches were not reset when the sho was installed.
    Drew has pics of how they should be.

That's all I got. Best wishes.

12. Member
    I bet your hot foot isn't adjusted correctly.

13. Member
    Yes I'm going of my tach gauge. Someone posted the pic of what it should be set at and everything looks the same.my prop was bought used and I'm not sure if it has been worked or not. Hot foot is set up properly. I switched from Merc to yammy manly because the Merc was back ordered here in Canada. Was 3 weeks quicker to get the sho. I measured my pad to prop with the atlas set to 3 and it was 2.5 below pad.

14. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Well, you made a great choice getting the sho.
    I don't understand the Atlas JP settings on 3, being at 2.5" p2p tho...But regardless, your p2p does seem about right.
    Can probably go up more.
    All I can figure is that Drew's right about needing prop worked to a Phoenix.
    Try his running advice too, he's "the guy".

15. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    this is just a guess but when you say the atlas is running in 3 are you referring to the yellow tape that goes from 0 to 6"?
    do you have a Atlas gauge that goes from 0 to 20?
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    this is just a guess but when you say the atlas is running in 3 are you referring to the yellow tape that goes from 0 to 6"?
    do you have a Atlas gauge that goes from 0 to 20?
    For what it's worth.... maybe it's actually a Bob's Jackplate because the gauge goes is 0-6. 3 would make more sense.... I run my Merc at 4 for best results, so if the SHO runs high, you may want to try even up to 5. Just a thought.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

17. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    For what it's worth.... maybe it's actually a Bob's Jackplate because the gauge goes is 0-6. 3 would make more sense.... I run my Merc at 4 for best results, so if the SHO runs high, you may want to try even up to 5. Just a thought.
    I already asked if it's a Bob's. He then stated it's an Atlas. Drew probably guessed it, reading the tape on plate.

18. Member
    Yes reading the tape on the plate. 3 on the tape was roughly 2.5 below pad. After taking a close look at the T1 I noticed it had been worked. I'm now on the hunt for a stock txp or T1. I wouldn't be so concerned if I wasn't leaving for 2 big events this week with 30 plus mile runs each way. I guess I'm going to drive it where I'm comfortable for now. I'll have my 10 hours in before I leave so that's a bonus. My oil was 1.5 inches above the top mark and seems thin and stinks. I bought the oil and filter to change it before I leave. Thanks for the help guys and I'll keep you posted .
    Cheers

19. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    A lot of times the 1st oil change "appears" that your making oil. Mine did 2x, and now doesn't. No worries yet.
    Good luck at your tourneys!

20. BBC SPONSOR
    I run a 921PHX with a SHO and run the plate ALL THE WAY UP the boat runs best that way unless your in rough water. I run a 25 pitch Fury 4 blade and have seen 72-73 MPH at 6100 RPM and it handles like a dream and is VERY smooth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast