Phoenix Rough Water Driving

Have had my 920 for a couple months now and want to expedite my learning curve on driving thru rough water. My previous boat was a Blazer which drove a lot different than a Phoenix.

Any general guidelines on rough water?

2. Member
    keep your finger on the trim, and trim the nose to just above the waves. You will need to keep a close watch on waves coming in to trim up or down. You will need to slow down a tad to match speed with what it takes to get smooth ride.

3. Member
    Anything will be better than that Blazer. Owned one for 3 years. Fast yes buy anything over a boat wake it was a turd.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 921 View Post
    keep your finger on the trim, and trim the nose to just above the waves. You will need to keep a close watch on waves coming in to trim up or down. You will need to slow down a tad to match speed with what it takes to get smooth ride.
    +1 Don't keep it trimmed down and bash the waves. A little trim does wonders, then just match the speed to what feels the best. You can feel when you get to much trim as the boat will try to stay up or not ride flat, it will bounce

5. Member
    What about jackplate location? My Blazer liked running rough water with the jackplate high and motor trimmed level or below

6. Member
    Jackplate trimmed all way down in really rough water

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team do work View Post
    Jackplate trimmed all way down in really rough water
    This ^^^^ the jackplate down keeps the motor in the water longer to keep nose up

8. Member
    I have found you can trim the motor up a bit but play with the hydrolic jack plate hight all the way down is not always best you want to get the nose up a little bit

9. Member
    The reason I keep JP all the way down is to keep the prop in the water on really rough days. I can keep the nose up if I can keep the prop in the water. This also depends on what prop you have on the boat. I think when the boat is propped to carry the load rather then for sped its easier to keep nose up