Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vicsservice View Post
    Speed limits can fix unsafe operation, would people of died if the speed limit was 15mph?
    I didn't realize the speed limit signs controlled your throttle for you. Mine doesn't work that way.

I knew the victims, he has 2 kids. In fact I sold him that boat he was in. Good man, good family. But I have not read anywhere that said how fast the driver was going. Reality it does not take a very fast speed to have a situation like this. I think a Q Beam is an excellent idea that can get the oncoming boaters attention. I have been on this lake at night as well as others. this lake is tough to navigate at night due to all the lights coming from the shoreline. The lights play tricks on you. Heck 2 months earlier a guy ran into a bulk head at the same spot could not tell what was the shoreline.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Hi Mike.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    This is just so dang horrible for everybody involved

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    I have never been on a lake that even had a speed limit, much less one after dark. That must be a northern thing.

Speed limits can't fix unsafe operation.
    So sad for the little girl. Prayers sent.
    Table Rock after sunset has a max speed of 35. Yet there are still too many accidents. I just do not understand why no charges. Some one is at fault, and needs to be charged.

I have never been on a lake that even had a speed limit, much less one after dark. That must be a northern thing.

Texas does have a speed limit on the water. It is up to law enforcement, judge and jury to decide if you were operating at greater than is reasonable or prudent. If drinking, the Conroe driver would be going to jail. Doing the same stupid act while sober is excused as an accident.

Operate at a Safe Speed
    Although there are no numerical speed limits on the water, citations may be issued for excessive speed or reckless operation. Use common sense, and operate at a safe speed at all times — especially in crowded areas.
    Excessive speed is a rate of speed greater than is reasonable or prudent without regard for conditions and hazards or greater than will permit a person to bring the boat to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.

P01135809

7. Member
    I didn't realize the speed limit signs controlled your throttle for you. Mine doesn't work that way.
    If we followed your logic we wouldn't need a speed limit on any road? It would just be up to however fast I wanted to go ... please explain what you have to lose by a 15mph speed limit at night, not during the day just at night.

8. Member
    Reality is that 90% of laws are necessary due to 10% of the population.

Just the way it is.....
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vicsservice View Post
    If we followed your logic we wouldn't need a speed limit on any road? It would just be up to however fast I wanted to go ... please explain what you have to lose by a 15mph speed limit at night, not during the day just at night.
    35 mph at night is one thing. My boat isn't even on plane at 15mph. I'd be doing 6mph trying to not plow getting no where.

I'm arguing that speed limits can't fix stupidity on the water. You're saying they can, I guess. My experience has taught me otherwise.

So tragic..
    It all boils down to not going to fast for the conditions.
    In most boats 15 mph will have your bow up high enough that you can't see over it.
    The slowest you can run on plane should be fast enough when conditions warrant.

11. Member
    Same thought occurred to me. It's a trade off. On plane, you can see in front of you better than when not on plane, in most boats, but you by default have to be moving faster.

I don't think there is a great solution. If going slow because of conditions, such as at night on a lake with a ton of shore lights, severely hinders what you can see out in front of you, is that really better than going faster so that you can see out in front? If you are going slow and have a wreck the chances of injury or death may be reduced, but if your odds of having a wreck are greater because you can't see whats in front of you, is that better? When there is no good option, sometimes is might be better to avoid the situation entirely.

I'm not criticizing the folks who have suffered a huge, life changing tragedy at all, just trouble shooting. Maybe on lakes with lots of shore lights, it would be wise to have more conspicuous lighting on the boat, especially if you are not underway and are in an area with a lot of boat traffic. If you can't control what the people under way are doing, there aren't many choices besides making yourself more conspicuous or staying off the water I suppose. It's like trying to avoid idiots that text and drive, damned next to impossible.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

I've been on Conroe at night. The bulkheads on the south end of the lake can still make the lake rough at night. In addition to all of the boat docks, houses, and the 2 small islands, it can get dicey. Add in the traffic of an evening tournament, and it is downright insane. There is a lot of traffic on that lake, I've almost hit or been hit a time or two. I hate to see stuff like this happen to anybody. All involved were just out there enjoying some time on the water. It is an unfortunate reminder that even though you have GPS to tell you where to drive, it doesn't account for other boaters, so taking your time to get somewhere is more critical. Maybe some day, all this technology for collision avoidance will be put on boats to warn them of other boaters while under way???... Until then a healthy amount of caution and use of your own eyes is still the most important thing when driving a boat...

Robert "Red" Barron
    2011 Tracker Pro Guide V-175WT
    2010 Mercury Optimax 115
    http://www.givin-er.com

13. Member
    This is making the argument for the forward looking night vision camera that Charger is offering on the new 210. I think it works out to 100 yards? It may save lives.

14. Member
    35 mph at night is one thing. My boat isn't even on plane at 15mph. I'd be doing 6mph trying to not plow getting no where.

I'm arguing that speed limits can't fix stupidity on the water. You're saying they can, I guess. My experience has taught me otherwise.
    Where do you have to go after dark on the boat so fast? I've fished well into the dark and have had to idle back for over a hour I just plan accordingly, doesn't seem like a big inconvience.
    Last edited by vicsservice; 07-18-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: not needed

15. Member
    If the logic of a speed limit was the answer. There would not be nearly as many vehicle fatalities on the roads. It boils down to conditions. I am saddened by all the comments blaming the pilot of the other boat. Just because he was in a tournament and going to weigh in does not mean he was wide ass open and driving carelessly. This gentleman absolutely did not intend to kill to people and orphan two children, and to assume his thought process was my weigh in is more important than anybody else is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Astyle954 View Post
    If the logic of a speed limit was the answer. There would not be nearly as many vehicle fatalities on the roads. It boils down to conditions. I am saddened by all the comments blaming the pilot of the other boat. .
    If he had been doing exactly the same thing with the same results, only difference, a blood alcohol of .08, would it still make you sad that he was being blamed?

P01135809

17. Member
    No, then it would be a decision of his to operate a vessel on a public waterway while being legally intoxicated. The result is the same. A very unfortunate event happened. The difference would be NOT making a poor decision to be impaired and contributing to the likely hood of impaired vision or slowed response. People sit back and blame and what if but don't take in to consideration this poor bastard has to live with the fact and probably would rather it be him.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter64 View Post
    This is just so dang horrible for everybody involved
    Your statement is so true... I think the two that were killed had two children and that is beyond horrible to be orphaned that way. But I also feel very bad for the driver and passenger of the other boat. They are probably great folks who made a mistake. Trying to live with that kind of guilt would be very hard.

Lot harder to crash into someone at 10 mph, other side is it sucks running that slow.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12