Ranger Trail brake work

I just posted this in the trailers section, but then noticed there was lots of ranger trail brakes discussion here...

I have a 2000 Ranger 175c center console on a Ranger Trail. I have 2 issues. First is that the brakes do not automatically disengage when I put it in reverse (truck wiring is fine), 2nd is that we found a brake pad under the trailer when I pulled it out to have it repowered yesterday. I think my brakes need to be looked at. :eek2: I don't have the time to do too much work on this myself.

I know the Ranger-Trails have unusual oil filled hubs, which some places may not be that familiar with, but I am not sure if the brakes are standard hydraulics or Ranger specific in anyway.

I'm located in Newark, DE. Question for you Ranger guys is this something that most boat mechanics should be able to address or do you think this is something that I need to take to a Ranger dealer.

This is my 4th Ranger but first time I've had trailer issues.
    Last edited by donmac; 07-15-2017 at 05:54 AM.

2. Member
    It should be something any boat mechanic can fix. If the brakes are locking up when you are in reverse, then your back-up solenoid is not functioning properly. Soleniod could be bad or it could be a wiring issue. Have you checked to make sure the reverse lights on the trailer illuminate when you put your truck in reverse?

Thanks - I was hoping/assuming Ranger surge brakes were fairly standard.
    2023 Lund Adventure 1775 Sport w/ 90hp Mercury

4. Member
    The components should be made by UFP.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    It should be something any boat mechanic can fix. If the brakes are locking up when you are in reverse, then your back-up solenoid is not functioning properly. Soleniod could be bad or it could be a wiring issue. Have you checked to make sure the reverse lights on the trailer illuminate when you put your truck in reverse?
    This^^^^
    Probably bad solenoid, any reputable mech should be able to handle it.
    2012 Ranger Z521, 250 ProXS