10' Talon or power pole on a Z-7 looking for advise

Hey I'm trying to see what's everyone's opinion on talons or power poles on a Z-7? Pros/cons about each and pics of set up from jackplate stand point. I'm having a hard time trying to decide on my next purchase. Thanks
    2010 Z-7 Mercury 150 Optimax,
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

After owning a 12' Talon and 10' blades, my vote is in short, 7'of water get 8' blades with the 10' brackets, and water over 7' get a 12' tallon or I suppose the 15'. If you go back a few pages in the pp/Talon forum I went bonkers along with others on pros and cons. But there was ice at that time and now I need to go to bed to hit the lake in the am.

3. Member
    Ok anyone else have any ideas or pics
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

4. Member
    I've got power pole blades now. Have no experience with Talons but I would say 10' blades unless you have storage height restrictions or plan on getting an Ultrex, then I'd go 8'. The Talons might be a little heavy on the rear with a 150 so it could affect the holeshot. I know when I had my Z7 the holeshot wasn't great until I put a Bravo on it, then it was a rocket out of the hole.

5. Member
    Will got a 2015 Z7 with 12' talons. I went electric cause I've been a factory worker for 30yrs and everything I've ever seen that was hydraulic leaks. It's a message and I don't want it in my boat, or the hassle.

6. Member
    i have a single talon on my nitro 882dx. Love it.. i would easily take that over the poles. The one thing is, it did affect holeshot.. i had to remove some plugs to return it to better. Mine drags in the water a bit. But still love having it.

7. Member
    Ok great guys thanks. Any pics of the mounts to the jp?
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

It your choice.

PP cuz I ,like the fact nothing mechanical on the pole, Talons vibrates pretty good, running and trailering. And when in a marine environment hydraulic last s longer. Also if they get stuck PP is a lot easier to deal with, just drive forward. Have yet to have a PP give me a problem and did I mention great service.

The talon brackets weigh a little more.

Can u mount Talons on a 6inch JP and a Z7? I think they are a lot better then they use to be. I guess my past experience of watching others with Talon issues have stopped me from considering them.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    It your choice.

PP cuz I ,like the fact nothing mechanical on the pole, Talons vibrates pretty good, running and trailering. And when in a marine environment hydraulic last s longer. Also if they get stuck PP is a lot easier to deal with, just drive forward. Have yet to have a PP give me a problem and did I mention great service.

The talon brackets weigh a little more.

Can u mount Talons on a 6inch JP and a Z7? I think they are a lot better then they use to be. I guess my past experience of watching others with Talon issues have stopped me from considering them.
    Thanks for info. Not sure on a 6" jp. I have a 8" slide master jack plate and have seen many mounted to them.
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.