Stereo upgrade for Ford F-150 2015 & up

I've looking for a while now trying to figure out a way to upgrade the stereo in my 2015 F150 but every option was very expensive. Recently Metra came out with a new faceplate but they want $500 for it, that's not a viable option to me. I came across a thread on the F150 forum where a guy used a parrot to add amps to the stock stereo without cutting the factory harness. Would rather have a better head unit but I guess this will have to work for now.

Here is what he used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D9W3CHY...iglink20295-20

Prior to 2015, Alpine makes a radio for them in a restyling kit. Wish they would for the 15's and up but I emailed them and they said no plans on doing it for the 15's and up currently.

Figured someone else on here has been trying to upgrade theirs as well.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

2. Member
    I have an 09' F150XLT and also wanted to upgrade the audio but prices are outrageous. Also it cost more to keep the steering wheels controls, Satellite,and SYNC functional. I replaced the crappy factory speakers with 2 pairs of more efficient Kicker KS series 6X8. The cool factory speakers proudly said FORD and Made in China on the magnet. Yes I know the Kickers are also made in China.
    Kickers have way better bass and crisp highs. Volume is a little louder and still clean at high volume.
    A few weeks later I added a Kicker Hideaway 8 inch powered sub under the back seat. About a $450 total upgrade and I feel well worth it.
    Next lets figure out some real backup lights - 2009 and 2010 are so small with a very poor reflector that lights up nothing.

On my last truck (2002 f150) I used some Rigid Industries lights that I wired to a switch. http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/20111 Mounted them on the hitch mount. Worked wonders for backing a trailer up in the dark. Been thinking of getting a back rack or something similar to mount the lights up higher for better coverage and have some back window protection for when I load up the atv and such. Hate to know how much the window costs if I break it.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

4. Member
    What do you mean by upgrade the stereo? Do you have to have a new head unit or just want one?

Kicker makes a system that utilizes the factory HU but dramatically upgrades the audio. A sub is included with the amp for about 600, or less online. It's even got a Ford part number.

You can do a line converter with EQ feeding into an amp for about 200-400, plus whatever amp you wanna buy. That's if you want the control over sound. Otherwise, you can buy just a line converter for 100 to convert high level to low level and feed a separate amp. Or a LOT of people are buying the 200-300 dollar 4x45 "power pack" amps and replacing door speakers and being done with it.

It really comes down to what you feel like you need versus what you're willing to spend. If you want a sub and more control over your sound...gotta pay to play
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

5. Banned
    I was checking and the integrated Ford radio/Navigation/CD/HVAC head unit is $2800. I am just thankful for salvage yards.