Thread: Curado 200k ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Land Big Fish has them on sale for $119.99
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

2. Member
    Got to fish for about 4-5 hrs yesterday and used the K in 8 gear for about 2-3 of it. As the other guy stated, it is ridiculously smooth compared to my I's (and I really like the I's). Casts/pitches great and drag seems nice. Didn't have but one with any real size but I had it set a little too tight for it to run much. So far so good. There is some noise when winding back in really fast, not sure what that's about but it won't keep me from using it. I can see why it won iCast this year. Great feeling reel. Can't wait to really put it through its paces.

3. Member
    Would you guys sell a 8.5 physical condition Chronarch Ci4 that isn't even on a rod for a 200k? The reel has Boca bearings and Carbontex smooth drag washer installed before i put it up about 4 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Would you guys sell a 8.5 physical condition Chronarch Ci4 that isn't even on a rod for a 200k? The reel has Boca bearings and Carbontex smooth drag washer installed before i put it up about 4 months ago.
    I would in a second. I'd do it if the Ci4 was mint or NIB too.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    Land Big Fish has them on sale for $119.99
    Yep, LBF has them for that w/ free shipping
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

6. Member
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

My pre order 200K XG hasn't arrived yet, but I was able to find this one here at BBC. It was NIB and still under retail.

First impressions: Nice. Very very nice. I'm a huge fan of black. Coffee, trucks and reels. All need to be black.

I broke it down last night and went over all the parts. Disappointed that the worm gear isn't metal, but it is more than just flimsy plastic. The worm gear in the Curado 70 was pretty flimsy. This one in the 200K is much more stout. Pawl is metal though. When parts become available, I will indeed get a few of each to keep on hand. Not 100% sold on metal to plastic yet. Folks that want to add a bearing to the worm gear will appreciate this new design. No longer do you need to pull all the worm gear components out. There is an E-Clip on the idle gear (handle side) that attaches the worm gear to the idle gear. One on the palm side too. All you need to do is remove the handle side plate, main gear and then the E-Clip/idle gear. You will be able to work the drive shaft turning the worm gear and the bushing will come out. I would however recommend breaking it down completely though. The worm gear was packed full of grease.

The reel is a beast. Knobs are the larger shimano paddle knobs. With the larger handle, this is a nice addition for power fishing.

Typical bearings and reel was full of oil and grease. After flushing, degreasing and lubing it back up, this reel very smooth. It might benefit from a good set of ZPI or ZR spool bearings, but the stock ones free spin well. I added a total of 5 bearings to it and I cannot emphasize how smooth of a retrieve this reel has.

I spooled it with 10# Senshi mono and did some casting in the front yard last night. I had it paired with a 7' MF Avid. Tried a 7" weightless culprit worm first and had some issues with distance and overruns. This spool is every bit the 200 Shimano claims and maybe more. I ended up putting 3 tabs on and the external dial to 6 to gain control. Distance was no more than 10-15 yards. I was running out of time due to wind and storm rolling in, but I did try a 3/8 oz jig with trailer. Much better results. I don't think this will be a good 1/4 oz OAW reel. 3/8 oz seems to perform much better. Hoping the future brings a Yumeya shallow spool for it.

Well, Sorry I can tell you straight up, adding bearings to this new reel will not improve it from a performance point of view. You may improve the free spin in the handle by de-greasing and
    re-lubing but changing bearings will NOT improve the retrieve. Bearings have little to NOTHING to do with smoothness in retrieve.
    Sorry, I do this for a living and I cannot let this type of mis-information go. Perception as they say can be reality. You may perceive an improvement but whether its a levelwind or upgraded bearing set, spend your money wiser fellas! Go invest in some Tatsu or other premium fluorocarbon it'll be money better spent. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Well, Sorry I can tell you straight up, adding bearings to this new reel will not improve it from a performance point of view. You may improve the free spin in the handle by de-greasing and
    re-lubing but changing bearings will NOT improve the retrieve. Bearings have little to NOTHING to do with smoothness in retrieve.
    Sorry, I do this for a living and I cannot let this type of mis-information go. Perception as they say can be reality. You may perceive an improvement but whether its a levelwind or upgraded bearing set, spend your money wiser fellas! Go invest in some Tatsu or other premium fluorocarbon it'll be money better spent. Dan

You are incorrect and I will not let it go either. I don't care of your status with the forum or how many reels you have worked on either. The bushing on the worm gear was extremely tight. I don't have a set of calipers to measure the inside diameter compared to a bearing, but I can tell you there is a difference. Same goes with the knob bushings. Adding the bearings and removing the grease helped free up the retrieve. It's not the difference between a cheap 15 dollar reel and a Calcutta, but there is a difference.

This upgrade costs a mere 4 dollars and 99 cents. And yes, bearings do have much to do with the overall smoothness in retreive.

10. Banned
    Wow. I service reels too, and I dont see how you can say that bearings dont make reels smoother over having a bushing. Casting, obviously it wont, but the retrieve, absolutely. Im pretty shocked you would even say that. Makes me question your credibility.

11. Member
    rockchalk06 thanks for the review mine are still on back order too. Are the brakes they same as the ones they used in the 200i ?

Quote Originally Posted by Srt1010 View Post
    rockchalk06 thanks for the review mine are still on back order too. Are the brakes they same as the ones they used in the 200i ?

No sir. The K has the updated SVS Infinity braking system. White (4) tabs.

Stole this photo from TT

13. Member
    Do you think they will squeal like previous model ?

14. Banned
    Nope. Way better system. About the only thing I like about the new Shimano reels.

On the cast?

I made several casts with the brake race dry and could hear a very very faint noise on the cast. Nothing like the Chronarch MGL did. I may try putting a very light coat of Hedgehog ML oil on it and see if that silences it. I'm comparing the noise to a Core 100. Its very very light. No squealing or screaming. I tied on a Jig with a total weight of 1/2 oz and used my MF Avid to launch. I was hoping to get the spool to really turn and burn, but no matter how hard or soft I made the cast, same very very light noise. That was with the CCC turned to just stop the side to side play in the spool, 2-3 tabs and 5-6 on the external dial.

That is why I sold my Chronarch MGL.

16. Member
    Each reel that I replaced the worm gear bushing with a bearing I could definitely tell a difference in "smoothness". As far as the knob bearings I have added them to most of the reels I have that will accept them but I did not remove all the grease, some the knob would spin like crazy and some you couldn't tell a difference but I haven't noticed much "smoothness" out of the knob bearings except for maybe my Curado 70.

I stand by what I said, tolerances in gearing have far more to do with smoothness in the retrieve than any bearing or bearing count, UNLESS said bearing(s) needs replaced.

I was referring to "NEW vs. NEW", and as far as placing a bearing on the worm gear, you add one more area of concern for possible corrosion issues, and I measure that vs. any possible gain.

As far as credibility goes....right, I'm up to no good!

As far as "status" goes...didn't know I had one! ...;)

Dan
    Last edited by reelex; 08-17-2017 at 05:56 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockchalk06 View Post
    On the cast?

I made several casts with the brake race dry and could hear a very very faint noise on the cast. Nothing like the Chronarch MGL did. I may try putting a very light coat of Hedgehog ML oil on it and see if that silences it. I'm comparing the noise to a Core 100. Its very very light. No squealing or screaming. I tied on a Jig with a total weight of 1/2 oz and used my MF Avid to launch. I was hoping to get the spool to really turn and burn, but no matter how hard or soft I made the cast, same very very light noise. That was with the CCC turned to just stop the side to side play in the spool, 2-3 tabs and 5-6 on the external dial.

That is why I sold my Chronarch MGL.
    My Chronarch ci4 and curado i reels squealed at the end of the cast. Sounded like dry bearings. This was my hope for this reel was it to have a different brake system. Is this the same system the MGL uses?

Yes

20. Member
    You guys who are questioning Dan's credibility are way off. He is well respected in N. California for his work

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast