Backyard practice setup

I keep coming back to the idea of a short game practice setup in my back yard. Not a lot of room, but plenty to hit 50 yard wedges to a flag and of course a pitching/chipping/putting green. I know you can go all out and spend crazy money, but am wondering if anyone here has tried to put in an artificial green. I think to even do it on the cheap you have to really lay it out correctly with so much depth of sand/gravel, etc. to drain correctly. I'm on a slope, so that my help.

Just keep getting the vision of pouring up one of my homebrews and walking out the back door for a little practice.

Ive been looking at doing it also but the cost is a little crazy for it from what I searched. That's to get a good short turf that is like a true roll.
    I did build a hitting cage this year. It's 10'h x 12'w x 10'd. That cost about $300 by the time I was done with the cost of the netting, 4x5 mat and wood to build the frame.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

3. Member
    My parents have a big backyard with zero trees and you could hit a full 80 lob wedge, growing up my dad had the landscaping company mow a circle very short and we put a pin in the middle and each year we rolled it in the spring and fall and it was perfect. I am a great lob wedge player because of hitting 1000s of balls to that flag.

As far as a sythentic green I have heard they are between 15-18 PSF.

http://www.tourgreens.com/backyard-p...reen-cost.html