741XS Transducer

I would appreciate recommendation for transducer. I am moving 2, 741XS , to another boat and the maze of Garmin website makes my hair hurt !
    I bass and striper fish in NC waters .
    I am leaving a 70S, GCV10 with transducer on the boat I will be selling.

Thanks for the assistance.

2. Member
    Not a real hard decision. 741xs doesn't have 12 pin connector so that eliminates all them. The GCV-10 has the 12 pin connector but you said it's going. So your choices are the 8 pin transducers.
    GT20 and GT21 both do non-chirp 2d and Down/ClearVu.
    GT22 does chirp 2d and Down/ClearVu. That's what I would recommend.
    GT23 might also work has more power for deep water, but I don't know if the 741 supports the 260 kHz that it utilizes.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    thank you, I greatly appreciate the reply

4. Member
    The airmar TM-150 is the best I have seen, but only does traditional 2D. The GT22 is okay, but I prefer the TM-150 for 2D.

5. Member
    I'd get the GT15M-TM. I have one and the TM-150. I spent quite a bit of time comparing them to see which one was better in any way. I posted it here:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=762996

The GT15 is cheaper and every bit as good. The GT8 is a lot cheaper and almost as good. TroyBoy30 compared them and posted it here:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=684847

Have a look and decide for yourself.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Banned
    Luke,
    I have an GT15 that I am selling. I will sell it you for half off. I had it on my boat but also had the GT8 and the GT22 on my boat. Let me know. It's brand new and was only on the boat a week.

7. Member
    Thanks all for the replies. I've decided to refresh my existing boat at this time and now want to update my Garmin system. Here are the components, Panoptix 21 on trolling motor with Garmin marine network cable linking to 70S, and 2 741XS all linked to GCV10. I currently have the original transducer for the 70S which is run to the GCV10 and supplies the images for all units, I also have a separate down vu side vu transducer which I assume I will keep.
    My question, which transducer will work best with all the units ? Will an upgraded transducer be accepted by 70S or do I need to remove the 70S and the current transducer ?

8. Banned
    What transducer you running? Also what transducer do you have for down Vu and side Vu? I have the GT30 and the images I have are good. I have the GT30 at the back and the GT22 up front. I did mount the GT8 on back also. I like the setup because now I can scan an area without putting the trolling motor. down.

9. Member
    Does the new gt30 have a down sensor? Is gt52 or gt30 a better transducer for shallow water, 25ft and less?
    I Believe in Catch & Release...
    Only when I don't have Witnesses..

10. Member
    The GT30 does not have 2D. It has down imaging and side imaging. That imaging should be a bit better than the GT52, but the GT52 has great 2D. I'd go with the GT52 unless you area also going to install a separate transducer for high speed use. In that case the "Y" cable only works with the GT30.

11. Banned
    Question? does the GT 8, GT22 and the GT52 have the same 2D element? I know the Gt8 only does 2D and the GT22 adds DI and the Gt 52 has all three.

12. Member
    I dont know of any way to tell for sure, but if you check the specs, look to see if they all have the same power, chirp frequency ranges and cone angles. If so, they are probably the same.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

13. Member
    The specs are near identical. The GT22 and GT52 show 150-240 but the GT8 shows 145-230. I think they are the same element. I contacted Garmin months ago and told them they needed to update this data. It's not been changed. I still think they are the same element. I also believe that I get just slightly better performance out the the GT8 as a separate transducer compared to the GT8 element in the 22 or 52. Ordinarily I run 2 GT8's at the same time. I really like this little transducer. Solid performer and it's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The specs are near identical. The GT22 and GT52 show 150-240 but the GT8 shows 145-230. I think they are the same element. I contacted Garmin months ago and told them they needed to update this data. It's not been changed. I still think they are the same element. I also believe that I get just slightly better performance out the the GT8 as a separate transducer compared to the GT8 element in the 22 or 52. Ordinarily I run 2 GT8's at the same time. I really like this little transducer. Solid performer and it's cheap.
    The frequency specs are correct. Yes, these three xducers use the same 2d element but there is some additional filtering in the GT22/52 that gives it a bit different bandwidth.
    Garmin Pro Team