Canton, Sooner, Carl Blackwell, Kaw

I've never fished Kaw, only crappie fished on Carl Blackwell, and troll a lot on Sooner and Canton. Now that I have a boat with a decent trolling motor, I'd like to chase LMB as well as my standard White Bass/Hybrids and drum.

I have caught one LMB on Sooner, and never seen one on Canton. Would you consider any of these lakes decent bass lakes? I'm used to NC lakes with lots of coves and fallen bank trees, these lakes just seem to have very little cover or structure for bass in them.
    Boatless again but looking forward to Spring

2. Member
    Sooner has good fish in it. Kaw is a pretty tough fishery. I would rather fish Sooner or Keystone.
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

I have no idea about how it is now but my old bass club in SW OK used to travel to Canton for a tournament each year. I never fished it but the tournament results were never very good there.

4. Member
    Sooner is one of the best lakes in the state in my opinion for LMB. It can just be tough at times.

5. Member
    Fox sports Southwest filmed a show on Canton earlier this year, Barry Stokes caught a couple of Blacks. Several years ago there was a lot of nice blacks in Canton, I don't know how many are left now.

Sooner is your best lake for Blacks, fish the area around the West Ramp to get you started. Rip Rap, weed beds, ect...

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

6. Member
    Thanks for the info. I thought Sooner looked bassy, just a pain with all the vegetation in it.
    Boatless again but looking forward to Spring

7. Banned
    I have never went bass fishing on Kaw but I have caught some nice bass while crappie and cat fishing on Kaw. I'll be back on it this fall I will make it a point and spend a few hours bassn'n.

8. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I personally have had many a good days on canton. Very rarely don't catch 10 or so 2-3lbers. The lake was better before the draw down, but it's still not bad at all. Just fish cat tails all day.

Haha! Only in Oklahoma have I ever found people that complain about fishing vegetation.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    Haha! Only in Oklahoma have I ever found people that complain about fishing vegetation.
    It used to just have clumps of pondweed along with some great milfoil but the last several years there is a stringy weed that will grow out to about 15' that is just awful. You can't fish a TX rigged worm through it without cleaning the crap off after every cast. I rarely catch fish out of it either. There are some areas that still have "good" weeds on Sooner, but so much of it is clogged with the stringy stuff.

I hear ya. In my experience, that stringy stuff just never seems to hold bass in any lake that I've found it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    I personally have had many a good days on canton. Very rarely don't catch 10 or so 2-3lbers. The lake was better before the draw down, but it's still not bad at all. Just fish cat tails all day.
    Do you know if you can still get from the old ODWC ramp behind the islands to the main lake? After the lake was down I don't know how much the sand blew around and changed things around.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

13. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    You can, but it's like a grass forest to get to it. Real hard if you don't have a way point or trail marked