Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Easy way to carry fuel to a boat on a lift

I need to find a good way to transfer fuel to my pontoon boat thats on a lift. I bought a huge fuel caddy and didnt realize its gravity flow which is totally useless for anything id use it for. Id have to rig up a chainfall to pick it up to use it. Looking for approx 25gal cap

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

2. Member
    12 volt fuel transfer pump at your local NAPA dealer.

If you get a transfer pump make sure its for gasoline and not diesel or you will be splattered on the side of your pontoon and be chum for the bluegills
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

I have a fuel injection pump with alligator clips to pump various stuff out. It would take 3 days to fill my barge with that.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

5. Banned
    Use google and find a local fuel delivery company. Most will provide all the storage and pumping equipment for a short term contract. Never used it for boats but don't why they wouldn't. A friend owns a good size cattle company and they have gas and diesel delivered.

6. Banned
    I use a gas buddy with 14 gallons. It is about as heavy as I want to wrestle with. I put it on a bench and lower the boat to the water and gravity sucks the gas out in 10 minutes.

https://www.google.com/search?client...k1.GQv29biDob0

Lots of options out there. Both electric and hand pumps.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I would look hard for a gravity feed option for the tank you have instead of having to go electrical or hand pump. Some kind of platform or lift to raise the tank. I know of one guy on the lake that has a party deck on top of his boat house. he cut a hole thru the floor and put a port in so he can roll his bulk tank up there and run the hose down to the boat.

Whole lot safer than using electric motors or metal hand cranks to pump gasoline.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 07-13-2017 at 10:36 AM.

9. Member
    I have 2 of those Gas Buddies from Northern Tool. 14 gallons each. Rigged a block and tackle to my boat dock near each boat, 1 bass, 1 pontoon. Takes about 10-15 minutes to gravity feed each. Best solution I've found. Not too bad on the back taking them out of the truck and rolling down to the dock.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    I need to find a good way to transfer fuel to my pontoon boat thats on a lift. I bought a huge fuel caddy and didnt realize its gravity flow which is totally useless for anything id use it for. Id have to rig up a chainfall to pick it up to use it. Looking for approx 25gal cap
    Please make sure you check with COE, I keep my boat in a slip in a marina dock in Ar. and it is illegal to transfer gas on the dock, only at the pumps, so they say

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbobber View Post
    Please make sure you check with COE, I keep my boat in a slip in a marina dock in Ar. and it is illegal to transfer gas on the dock, only at the pumps, so they say
    Thats the case here as well. They sell gas but if i can bring 15-20 gallons from offsite it helps the bill.

12. Member
    I carry it down to my boat two 5 gallon cans at a time and use one of the siphon hoses with a one way valve on the end. I have six cans and make 3 trips for about 32 gallons. I have about 50 steps between my boat and the truck, but it's reasonable with two cans (for balance) going down. Saves about $25 each time and you get an hour of exercise.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

Quote Originally Posted by MoBob View Post
    I carry it down to my boat two 5 gallon cans at a time and use one of the siphon hoses with a one way valve on the end. I have six cans and make 3 trips for about 32 gallons. I have about 50 steps between my boat and the truck, but it's reasonable with two cans (for balance) going down. Saves about $25 each time and you get an hour of exercise.
    YEP!!

Right now i have 2 of those vp race fuel cans that hold 8 gal or whatever and haul them in one of those foldable beach cart rigs with all my other junk but picking them up and holding them is why im trying to find a better way. Im usually there for 30mins or so blowing up tubes and putting fenders away and what not. Wish i could just flip a switch and pump 25 in while i did that

15. Member
    could you just lower the boat in the lift, then have a use a small platform to place fuel can on to make it higher than the boat. then lift the boat back up
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 PolarKraft TX 195 Pro
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

Quote Originally Posted by catfishjn69 View Post
    could you just lower the boat in the lift, then have a use a small platform to place fuel can on to make it higher than the boat. then lift the boat back up
    I totally agree with this but like I said before if you go with an electric pump you need I repeat you need to make sure it is suitable for gasoline because a lot of them are for diesel fuel diesel fuel is not as combustible as gasoline one little spark from a non-compliant electric transfer pump and you Are done
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    I totally agree with this but like I said before if you go with an electric pump you need I repeat you need to make sure it is suitable for gasoline because a lot of them are for diesel fuel diesel fuel is not as combustible as gasoline one little spark from a non-compliant electric transfer pump and you Are done
    I think the idea with lowering the boat is that you could then gravity transfer it. Should work if he can drop it low enough! Not sure how far above the water the dock is, obviously.

I'm not sure how a platform would work, though. 25 gallons of fuel would be like 150 lbs - not fun to lift up onto a platform!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I don't see why he couldn't just leave the fuel on his deck close to the edge but safely and lower the boat and gravity feed his fuel tank and I agree with that 100% I was just saying if he went with an electric pump and then make sure it is suitable for gasoline
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS

When the boat is in the water the deck is level with the dock. So im still lacking maybe 3ft so no gravity fill possible. And yes my pump is for gas- i get those mr gasket pumps from the auto parts store. They usually last about 2yrs for my use. Takes about 2hrs it seems to pump out 30gallons from my bullet- not gonna work in this case.

20. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoBob View Post
    This is how I fill my boat when it's on the lift.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast