surf fishing in gulf shores area

Family vacation next week...I have a really nice travel rod that probably isn't as long as it should be for this kind of fishing but it will have to do. Anyone have any advice for just catching some fish either from the surf or from the piers or whatever? I have never done it. Any help is appreciated.

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Through a gootcha. Even though it is a sinking bait work your rod like you walking a spook. everything hits them.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Member
    Go to J&M Tackle they will tell you everything you need to know great people. We started surf fishing a year or so ago now that's the main thing we do at Gulf Shores now the wife even caught a small shark last time.

4. Member
    Carolina rig is the way to go when rigging for surf fishing. Don't spend the money one the pre-fab wire leader crap! Use 30-40lb braid with about 1-2oz egg sinker, depending on surf conditions, above swivel and 20-25 lb fluorocarbon leader about 12 inches in length below swivel to the hook. Use a 2/0 multi-purpose J hook. Get some frozen shrimp, peel them and cut in half. You will have a ball catching whiting or pompano from the surf if they are there. Also fish the tides as in when there is water movement. Fish on an incoming or outgoing. If there is no water movement you will only catch those damn ole hard head catfish. Those whiting are fine eating. Most people that use the wire stuff, I will catch 5 whiting to their 1. Fishing with tides is the key as fish don't feed very well when there is no movement. Also fish the trough, that's between you and the first sand bar. Sometimes it can be as close as 15 yards out to 50 yards. You usually can see the sand bar if water is decently clear. Good luck.
    2000 Ranger Bay 200c
    2000 Mercury 225 EFI