Question Learning my new 920..., suggestions welcome

Hey folks, posted similar type item week or so ago, thanks for all the advice, however looking for some more. Here is a summary of where I am. I have a 920 w/ 250 SHO. Running a fairly heavy load, 4 batteries, no poles. Manual Z-lock jack plate, PTP is around 2 and 3/4". VMAX 26P T2 prop. Water temps low 80's, air temps 80-90. Two people, livewells full, 3/4 gas, straight line around 70-72 depending upon wind and chop, 5800 ish RPM on boat tack, HDS link to motor basically the same. Stable straight line ride.

However I am reading on the Post Your Numbers thread and from various other postings that it seems that I am under performing as compared to most. I have also been reading that most can complete wide high speed turns without adjusting trim. Turning Right is pretty good, Turning Left cant be done; boat begins to porpoise.

What am I missing? Thanks ahead of time.

2. Member
    The 26 might be a little to big for summertime heat. As far as turning I don't make hardly any turns without trimming down a little. I've noticed smoothness of how you turn is VERY key. Just ease into it, any small jerky motion of the wheel will upset the balance of the boat

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Agreed with that load this time of the year the 26 is just not going to turn the RPMs it needs. especially not stock, sounds like you have it real close, I would raise the engine another 1/4", then send the prop to Croxton, and possibly get a 25 for summer or just have him set up the 26 for more RPMs
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

I'm seeing numbers almost identical to yours with the only differences being that I have poles and an Atlas. I bought a 25p VMAX SHO T1 and it does seem to do better in the heat.

2014 Phoenix 920 Pro XP, Yamaha 250 SHO,

5. Member
    Still learning the boat.... just way different than the Skeeters. Went out again today, raised jackplate back up. Had dropped it back down about 1/2" and around 3" ptp and that was clearly not the place to be... Back to around 2 3/4" ptp maybe 2.5" and way better. Turns better and better top end. Hit 74 today by myself with live wells full with very little chop this morning. About 75 air temp and 87 water temps. Played around driving it at high speed as well and just learning the boat. I think its about right. Thanks for suggestion about 25 T1. Also got digital RPM up on the HDS directly from engine, that helped me too to determine exactly where the trim needed to be for best performance. Figured out that actually just a little bit less than full up which is lower RPMs is best performance. 74 was at 5800 RPM. Could get it to 5850 but was slower and would not turn. (over trimmed....) Yes I know.... I am learning.... Hit 75 with livewells empty, again about 5800 was best RPM.

How much can I expect to pick up when the water cools back into the 70s?

Thanks again for all the help. Do love my new Bird>>>> Outstanding fishable platform, especially with the Ultrex.... Deep Water Power Polls!!!!

Brian

6. 921screaming250
    2017 920..2 people, full gas, poles,ultrex 30 hrs on motor (250 merc)..hit 72

The nice thing about Phoenix they'll absolutely stick a corner, but not without bumping down to get the boat back in the water. Unless it's a super slow change of direction, I don't see many true WOT hard cornering in any pad style boat.