Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Pretty sure white caps occur way smaller than 2' more like 6" waves will start to white cap. A 6" wave is 1' from trough to peak. Runn

That dude is full of it. There ain't no way he knows what 4 footers are. I am a ranger man but always loved alli's. I've been on lake george a few times in the winter months when the north winds are kicking hard. Ramp I use is on the south end of george so I pretty much run across the lake to get to my honey hole and have been in 4 footers in my 520vx ranger and it ain't no fun. I've been as fast as 60mph in 3 footers but they have to be spaced just right so I can skip over the tops of them other than that those are a rough ride if spaced further away also. One day I will own an Allison.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    That dude is full of it. There ain't no way he knows what 4 footers are. I am a ranger man but always loved alli's. I've been on lake george a few times in the winter months when the north winds are kicking hard. Ramp I use is on the south end of george so I pretty much run across the lake to get to my honey hole and have been in 4 footers in my 520vx ranger and it ain't no fun. I've been as fast as 60mph in 3 footers but they have to be spaced just right so I can skip over the tops of them other than that those are a rough ride if spaced further away also. One day I will own an Allison.
    The direction you are attacking them and the distance between crest's can make ALL the difference in being able to stay on top.
    When you have fished enough lakes in enough different states you will learn that there can be a world of difference in how waves are formed.
    One thing I have learned- there is no substitute for keel length when trying to span the troughs. A long deep keel is another reason the Allison and some other hull do so well.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    The direction you are attacking them and the distance between crest's can make ALL the difference in being able to stay on top.
    When you have fished enough lakes in enough different states you will learn that there can be a world of difference in how waves are formed.
    One thing I have learned- there is no substitute for keel length when trying to span the troughs. A long deep keel is another reason the Allison and some other hull do so well.
    Our lakes here in Florida can get pretty rough when the north winds are coming through or a thunder storm and thats all i want to take on. I'd be scarred shitless on those northern lakes. I remember watching bass masters one year and a helicopter was filming Iconelli lunching his boat totally air born on one of the great lakes. Not me no way in hell. You guys got balls and can drive if your going though stuff like that
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

You know they claim everything's bigger in Texas (pun intended) including the waves.
    Any wide open body of water that's big and deep with sustained winds can get deadly rough
    Lake Falcon and Amistad can get about as rough as any
    Worst thing about them is if you get caught on the Southside when the wind gets to rolling- you have to ride them back home.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    You know they claim everything's bigger in Texas (pun intended) including the waves.
    Any wide open body of water that's big and deep with sustained winds can get deadly rough
    Lake Falcon and Amistad can get about as rough as any
    Worst thing about them is if you get caught on the Southside when the wind gets to rolling- you have to ride them back home.
    From the ramp in town(can't remeber the name??!!?? ) to the damn can be a hairy ride. Had to run from the damn to the ramp for a weigh in on a championship and it was nasty!! But I got a check so it was worth it;)

Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    From the ramp in town(can't remeber the name??!!?? ) to the damn can be a hairy ride. Had to run from the damn to the ramp for a weigh in on a championship and it was nasty!! But I got a check so it was worth it;)
    Yes sir-- That ride can get nasty real quick.

Not a good record but --- The Elite series have been on Amistad and Falcon twice each. Out of those few tournaments they had to cancel two different days because of high wind and big waves.
    I believe it was Grigsby who stated that one day on Amistad he rounded the corner to head up the Rio Grand end and there were 8 footers out there !!!

8. Member
    I didn't read the post (nor do I need to on this topic) and maybe the basscat guy was taking a stab at the Bassport. But he is ignorant. I have been in several bass cats and I like them. I hear the customer service is excellent. If true then there are several great reasons to own a Basscat. But, the guy is ignorant plain and simple or he likes to lie standing up. The range of "rough water" a bassboat can truly run in goes to xb21 by far. If the boats were "RUNNIN" seriously running. The XB21 would embarrass BC simple. If you are talking about climbing big faces 5, 6, 7 ft (example) then I hope you have an experience driver because that will help you get home safe. One thing I was really impressed with was the fact the XB21 hull was so nimble in the big surf when propped right. It can pop up on plane faster get at an angle of approach quicker, turn tighter and so on. This topic comes up again and again. The XB21 will run better in 6 inch, 1foot, 2ft, 3ft and so on, better than a basscat. If you also talk to couple of gents (not trying to get them to post) about running a 20 or 21 ft basscat vs xb21 they will tell you the truth and they have plenty good things to say about the BC but XB21 is night and day better, plain and simple. I have been a many boats, tour guys, weekend warriors, help set some bassboats, sold some bassboats, he's just not factual.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    My neck of the woods is a good place to compare. The mighty Columbia River attracts wind surfers from all over the world. As soon as I get my motor figured out I have a few guys in the local bass club that I need to have some fun with. Rangers and skeeters mostly.
    Jwolff there is no comparison seriously, there are many basscats, rangers, skeeters, nitros, a few gamblers, phoenixs, many champions that run the C-river. Fact the champion 21 is a better rough water hull then a BC. But I personally think the BC is better built (my opinion). Both don't compare to the XB21 running. They just don't.

But, so true about the C-river, about 300-400 miles of the Columbia is exposed meaning the waves get big from the wind but the heavy compressed flow of current makes these waves get 4ft with just with just 20 mph winds. The Columbia has regular wind 40 mph and often enough at 45 to 55. This is why the wind surfing world champions are held there (you already know). Legit 6,7 and 8 ft waves are common. 10 and 13ft waves happen often enough each year. The wave forms on the columbia are unique in one way. You can't really "tack" or quarter like taught in 101 wave handling because you wouldn't go forward lol. When blowing and in full gear you have to climb each wave to go forward. This can make for a long ride. Several times I needed to get back to the ramp in 8 footers and it took about an hour to get back to the ramp we only were 10 miles from the ramp lol (I have done this in many different hulls).

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Jwolff there is no comparison seriously, there are many basscats, rangers, skeeters, nitros, a few gamblers, phoenixs, many champions that run the C-river. Fact the champion 21 is a better rough water hull then a BC. But I personally think the BC is better built (my opinion). Both don't compare to the XB21 running. They just don't.

But, so true about the C-river, about 300-400 miles of the Columbia is exposed meaning the waves get big from the wind but the heavy compressed flow of current makes these waves get 4ft with just with just 20 mph winds. The Columbia has regular wind 40 mph and often enough at 45 to 55. This is why the wind surfing world champions are held there (you already know). Legit 6,7 and 8 ft waves are common. 10 and 13ft waves happen often enough each year. The wave forms on the columbia are unique in one way. You can't really "tack" or quarter like taught in 101 wave handling because you wouldn't go forward lol. When blowing and in full gear you have to climb each wave to go forward. This can make for a long ride. Several times I needed to get back to the ramp in 8 footers and it took about an hour to get back to the ramp we only were 10 miles from the ramp lol (I have done this in many different hulls).

I was fishing a tournament on the Columbia River out of Crow's Butte. I was fishing on the other side of the island, which is a 3 to 4 minute run on a calm day. We had a noon weigh in and I left at 11:30 a.m. The waves on the up river side were 1.5 to 2 feet high. When I went around the point there were 6 to 8 foot waves. I had a Stroker bass boat and when I got back at about 11:55 a.m. I had $9,000.00 in stress cracks. You have to surf this big waves and when you come down the other side you have to time it and accelerate to keep the bow from spearing the next wave. It is a chore!! I have been in a lot of rough water and that was the only time I had picked a spot on the island to beach my boat. There is only one sandy stretch and I was hoping I'd make that. A little prayer and patience and I made it back. There were some that didn't weigh in.

You can usually see the storms coming as the sky will fill with dust and it's like a big wall coming at you. The good thing is those big smallmouth like to eat when the wind is blowing!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Hagins View Post
    I was fishing a tournament on the Columbia River out of Crow's Butte. I was fishing on the other side of the island, which is a 3 to 4 minute run on a calm day. We had a noon weigh in and I left at 11:30 a.m. The waves on the up river side were 1.5 to 2 feet high. When I went around the point there were 6 to 8 foot waves. I had a Stroker bass boat and when I got back at about 11:55 a.m. I had $9,000.00 in stress cracks. You have to surf this big waves and when you come down the other side you have to time it and accelerate to keep the bow from spearing the next wave. It is a chore!! I have been in a lot of rough water and that was the only time I had picked a spot on the island to beach my boat. There is only one sandy stretch and I was hoping I'd make that. A little prayer and patience and I made it back. There were some that didn't weigh in.

You can usually see the storms coming as the sky will fill with dust and it's like a big wall coming at you. The good thing is those big smallmouth like to eat when the wind is blowing!
    Read the above if you think you are running at all in 3-4s with a bass boat. 30ft Contenders and Yellowfins slow down in 3-4s. These threads about 20ft boats running those seas are hilarious. Most guys wouldn't know 4ft seas until they hit them in the face...literally...as they crash over the front deck.

12. Member
    If any of you are doubt me take your butt up there and see. The waves get so big that they are blowing over the barge and the tug. The combination of the current and the waves create monsters. You guys in Louisiana call 100 mph winds hurricanes in the Pacific Northwest they are called dust storms.
    Last edited by Garry Hagins; 07-18-2017 at 01:20 AM.

13. Member
    Columbia River waves sure look like 8 footers to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Read the above if you think you are running at all in 3-4s with a bass boat. 30ft Contenders and Yellowfins slow down in 3-4s. These threads about 20ft boats running those seas are hilarious. Most guys wouldn't know 4ft seas until they hit them in the face...literally...as they crash over the front deck.
    I know what 2 and 4 ft waves are as I have actually measured troughs and use to boogie board. A XB21 can run 3 ft (36 inch faces). And I do agree a true 3 ft wave is a big wave. The Columbia is unique due to the wave formation. The 3 ft waves can be further apart on non- current or bends in the system and can be tight on compressed current. You can run threes. How fast ? depend on gap and curl. 3ft waves on a wide lake or on parts of the ocean have a different formation. No one is running on 5 or 7 ft on the Columbia. It is possible to run and hit a 7ft tug wake or a ocean liner wave or swell (off the back of the liner or tug) while running did it. But no one is "runnin" on a 7ft wave consistently. You climb and hopefully slide down the back but on the Columbia and other bodies you can get "penciled" which means free falling off the back of the wave near vertical. We use to use spreader plates to help distribute weight and impact to the transom. I think Mr. Higgins made reference to "surfing" the wave. I have seen many boats not make it back, sheared off motors, swamp'd dead in the water, hulls split down the middle, transoms pull out, side wall below hull striped completely delaminated, stress cracks that make the brand new look like a spider web head to toe, caps /rub/ rails come completely apart. lol a couple big skeeters i ran I would pull and re-do the rub rail. The pounding would obviously rip trolling motors off, rib battery boxes out screws and all. Rough water has to be respected. But an Allison can get on plane (runnin) on 3 footers this wave is bigger than 3 ft and the boat is runnin on its planer. Measure from the top of the cowling t the planer not pad (its deeper) and you get about 60 inches, ever if you drop the CMC plate 5 inches you are at apprx 55 inches. This pic is shot from a high angle otherwards you wouldn't see the top of the engine it would be below the wave. This is not traveling or running fast lol but its up and timing is everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Columbia River waves sure look like 8 footers to me.
    that wave is actually bigger than 8 ft as most sail masts are approx 400 cm even at 300cm would put that swell/wave nearly 10ft
    Last edited by JDM; 07-18-2017 at 02:30 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    To the original topic, I have found the number one way to have a smooth rough water ride is to slow the heck down and let the hull work for me. 4 footers are no fun in any bass boat no matter what anyone says. I've had a crush on Allison since I was 10 years old. Always said I would own one at some point then fishing became more of a priority than speed and I went to BCB which gives me a very nice combination of both. Then Allison came out with the XB-21 which took care of the fishing negatives that the 02's and 03's had and I was in love but with all my love I just can't get past those couple of things mentioned in the above post. They are certainly two different animals and both have their purpose for sure. I've been very, very happy with my Bass Cats and have no regrets. I'll be ordering another one soon. I believe that Bass Cat and Allison are the 2 best boat companies in the business. They both do things a little differently than the rest, and have 2nd to none build quality. You never know what will come in the future for me. I might change my mind. Until then if any of you boys are ever down in Southeast La, and want to give a guy a ride I'm game for sure. I'm trying to talk one of my Allison Buddies into a new XB-21 now as he's thinking of selling his XB-2003. Then I'll get to play in both of my favorites. Be safe Gents!

17. Member
    If any of you are doubt me take your butt up there and see. The waves get so big that they are blowing over the barge and the tug. The combination of the current and the waves create monsters. You guys in Louisiana call 100 mph winds hurricanes in the Pacific Northwest they are called dust storms.
    I was agreeing with you.

6-7footers break bass boats, just as you said. 4 footers pretty much puts you off plane.

And good for your 100mph winds. 100mph winds here gives us 20+ ft seas and evacuate oil rigs. Fetch has something to do with it.

Also, there is a big difference in swells with a long period and wind chop with a short period. That pic of a Columbia River wave is long period swell with small wind chop on top. Most boats can run that if the captain knows what he's doing. I don't see another swell in the picture and you can see a pretty good ways past the windsurfer. It even looks like it might be a standing wave like you'd see at an ocean inlet.

That pic JDM posted is where bass boat heros start breaking stuff if they aren't careful.
    Last edited by Marshfly; 07-18-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Good stuff.. that's why I say different bodies of water create different wave conditions.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    I was agreeing with you.

6-7footers break bass boats, just as you said. 4 footers pretty much puts you off plane.

And good for your 100mph winds. 100mph winds here gives us 20+ ft seas and evacuate oil rigs. Fetch has something to do with it.

Also, there is a big difference in swells with a long period and wind chop with a short period. That pic of a Columbia River wave is long period swell with small wind chop on top. Most boats can run that if the captain knows what he's doing. I don't see another swell in the picture and you can see a pretty good ways past the windsurfer. It even looks like it might be a standing wave like you'd see at an ocean inlet.

That pic JDM posted is where bass boat heros start breaking stuff if they aren't careful.
    Marshfly,
    I realized after I posted that and read it again that you were agreeing. I apologize for my inability to comprehend English LOL. Those pictures open up eyes huh. I haven't been out in waves as bad as the picture but close to it. I broke my Stroker boat up pretty bad that day.

If you ever want to catch world class smallmouth that's where you need to go. Again I apologize for misreading your post!!! Have a good one.

20. Member
    Gary... try Erie, Ontario, St. Lawrence River for those smallies lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast