Thread: Saskatchewan

Banned

Saskatchewan

Are any of you guys experienced in hunting Saskatchewan? If so I have some questions.

2. Member
    I have been a few times deer hunting. We always hunt the Crown land and not the lower half of Saskatchewan.

3. Member
    Yes I have been there what are you wanting to know?
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

4. Member
    Been lucky enough to go duck hunting the last 18 years. Just go. If you can kill ducks in Kentucky, you can definetly kill ducks up there. Scout, scout and scout some more. Find a good spot, ask permission, kill a limit of dry feeding birds. Repeat the next day.

5. Banned
    Thanks BW and KT. We usually spend several weeks bird hunting eastern Montana. This year there are severe drought conditions. I noticed much more precipitation in Saskatchewan. I am considering going north, if it is possible to find farms/ranches to hunt. First, are the land owners open to hunters on their property? Second, do you need to establish a relationship, or do you ask one day and then hunt the next. Third, how difficult is it to actually locate land owners in order to get permission. We have been hunting one ranch within 15 miles of the border anyway, so its not that much further. The only drawbacks I have found so far are: 1. Our Alpha tracking collars are illegal in Canada. 2. We can't take our blank/training pistols into Canada. 3. Th6ere is a limit of 40 pounds on importing dog food. 4. Some things are more expensive in Canada. What am I not considering?

Hunting Sharptail Grouse and Hungarian Partridge. Possibly Pheasants if the season is open.

6. Member
    Well first of all I think you are way over thinking it. Saskatchewan is how rural US used to be 30 years ago. Door knocking will get you on most any place. The people are great and will gladly point you to the owner. Most of the farmers were/are hutterrite (like Amish) don't be surprised if they offer for you to join them for supper later. They will gladly take your birds of you offer it to them.
    We hunted there in 2005 one of our farms we shot snows ducks and darks off of was owned by a hutterite family. We became really good friends with them over that two weeks. They would bring coffee out to us, invited over for dinner... anything we needed! One of the guys in our group was a good looking twenty something kid. Ripped! It was obvious the Father liked him so we would razz him about how the old man wanted him to come work the land with him etc. They ofcourse for the 4th or 5th time had us up for supper. That night after supper, the father asked Matt to join him out on the porch for a minute. They were gone for a few minutes and when they came back in Matt was white as a ghost. It was obvious that it was "ackward". As Matt didn't say a word thru desert.
    When we got in the truck I asked Matt. Whats the deal? You look like a scared cat! He said you would too if a Father asked you too inseminate all of his daughters before you leave.
    Last edited by Babe Winkleworm; 07-12-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

That's hilarious...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    Christ I wish I was in my twenties again!

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    ...One of the guys in our group was a good looking twenty something kid. Ripped! It was obvious the Father liked him so we would razz him about how the old man wanted him to come work the land with him etc. They ofcourse for the 4th or 5th time had us up for supper. That night after supper, the father asked Matt to join him out on the porch for a minute. They were gone for a few minutes and when they came back in Matt was white as a ghost. It was obvious that it was "ackward". As Matt didn't say a word thru desert.
    When we got in the truck I asked Matt. Whats the deal? You look like a scared cat! He said you would too if a Father asked you too inseminate all of his daughters before you leave.

That's not the way most 'Farmer's Daughter' anecdotes go.
    Who controls John Gill?

Pics of the daughters?
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

11. Member
    Well there were 7 kids 5 girls two boys. The girls ranged in age from about 14-20. I can tell you they were exactly what you would imagine being out on the prairie,not much to look at.
    I would assume the gene pool is not very big the only way to "meet" a possible mate is at church. But they are all related somehow. So here comes this scrapping lad and the old man saw the family farm getting passed down for generations.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

I was picturing a hot farm girl like the one from Seinfeld when Newman was lost in the country.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    Thanks BW and KT. We usually spend several weeks bird hunting eastern Montana. This year there are severe drought conditions. I noticed much more precipitation in Saskatchewan. I am considering going north, if it is possible to find farms/ranches to hunt. First, are the land owners open to hunters on their property? Second, do you need to establish a relationship, or do you ask one day and then hunt the next. Third, how difficult is it to actually locate land owners in order to get permission. We have been hunting one ranch within 15 miles of the border anyway, so its not that much further. The only drawbacks I have found so far are: 1. Our Alpha tracking collars are illegal in Canada. 2. We can't take our blank/training pistols into Canada. 3. Th6ere is a limit of 40 pounds on importing dog food. 4. Some things are more expensive in Canada. What am I not considering?

Hunting Sharptail Grouse and Hungarian Partridge. Possibly Pheasants if the season is open.
    Make sure you have immunization paperwork on your dogs. I haven't hunted Hungarian partridges in years. Used to kill several when I first started hunting up there. Only killed a few sharp tails.

Locals seem to be more protective of the partridges than they are of the waterfowl. There have been some severe winters that have taken a toll on the whitetail and upland bird populations. I hunt between Saskatoon and the Quill Lakes which is about 5 hours north of the border straight up from the Montana - North Dakota border.