Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can I use a deep cycle battery as a cranking battery?

I have a 1999 175 EFI (serial #0G944199) and if possible I would like to use a deep cycle battery as the starting battery because I also run my electronics off of the cranking battery currently and have started having problems with my depthfinder shutting off. I have asked about it and have been told that it's because the battery doesn't have the reserve capacity to run it all day. I don't have room for a 4th battery either. I have been told not to use AGM or sealed batteries because of the stator, but could I use a deep cycle without causing harm?

I use a RV group 31 deep/start battery for motor and its wet cell. Yea a deep will start the motor, but OB take a lot of AMP's.. Start style will last longer

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Mercury will tell you not to due to overheating issues, but I don't buy it. Hard battery use is what causes overheating, not the battery you have hooked up. Run what works, keep it charged between trips and inspect your regulators and wiring regularly for signs of overheating.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Just get the biggest baddest Dual Purpose you can afford. https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../bci-group-31m
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Just a couple of the "minor thermal events" you might be able to avoid by using the correct battery type, correct capacity, and properly securing it to the cables.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

You can use a deep cycle battery to start an outboard but I wouldn't. At least not on a regular basis. I don't have any idea what it would do to the motor but I do know that a deep cycle battery is not designed for the short, high discharge uses that starting causes so you may see shortened battery life. Is there a reason to not just use an appropriate marine cranking battery? There are several good options for around $100.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    You can use a deep cycle battery to start an outboard but I wouldn't. At least not on a regular basis. I don't have any idea what it would do to the motor but I do know that a deep cycle battery is not designed for the short, high discharge uses that starting causes so you may see shortened battery life. Is there a reason to not just use an appropriate marine cranking battery? There are several good options for around $100.
    A deep-cycle is much more rugged than a cranking battery, even when used in short bursts for cranking. Won't hurt a deep-cycle at all to crank with it. Because of the thicker plates, you get fewer plates, so the peak current is smaller than a cranking battery of the same size. But if it meets the cranking needs, it is fine.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    do not use a deep cycle, use a marine cranking or marine combo starting/cranking that meet the minimum specs for you motor. I usually make a few moves during a tournament for the sole purpose of charging the battery. I would only use trolling motor battery to boost my craning battery if I left something on over night that drained my cranking, just remove the jumper(s) before hooking up the booster cables.

9. Member
    Sounds like some say yes and some say no. I was hoping for a more definitive answer than that. I think I'll just stay with the starting battery for now and maybe go to a dual purpose if needed. Thanks for the help.

10. Member
    Mercury says to use a wet cell starting battery only.

Users here will have their own opinions and as many recommendations.

You will have to choose which path to follow grasshopper.

I chose a wet cell marine starting battery with 800CCA.

I used a trolling battery for both and burned out 4 regulators over a few years 100. a regulator adds up . i put an interstate megatron 31 group in after i figured out trolling battery should not be a starting battery now no issues almost 1000 cranking amps and runs 3 grafts and livewells ,radio all day

12. Member
    I have run an Interstate 27M-XHD for 9 years without at issue and it just died last week. I bought an Everstart MAXX 29 deep cycle to replace it, but now this thread has me concerned. Since we are loading these batteries up with "house" duties (graphs, Power Poles, Livewells, etc), I thought deep cycle would be better. I just don't want it to negatively affect the big motor.

13. Member
    there are deep cell/cranking battery combinations. I have a 31 series version of that with a 4year warranty. There is a thread on here from EuropeanAM that lists the "approved" batteries for starting.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    there are deep cell/cranking battery combinations. I have a 31 series version of that with a 4year warranty. There is a thread on here from EuropeanAM that lists the "approved" batteries for starting.
    I'm looking thru Don's list now. The Deka's are a Deep Cycle battery. So I'm more confused now...will a Deep Cycle, lead acid do any damage (like in the pictures above)? I'm running a 2003, 2.5L 200 EFI. The spec's I have found for it say 630 MCA, 490 MCA.

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 519DVX View Post
    I'm looking thru Don's list now. The Deka's are a Deep Cycle battery. So I'm more confused now...will a Deep Cycle, lead acid do any damage (like in the pictures above)? I'm running a 2003, 2.5L 200 EFI. The spec's I have found for it say 630 MCA, 490 MCA.
    Don't get confused about stator charging system engines and engines with alternators. The requirements Mercury publishes are different.
    nothing else matters.​

16. Member
    The approved battery list thread is for Optimax motors with altenators and this is a stator/regulator thread as stated above. A 2003 2.5 EFI should be stator regulator system.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Sounds like some say yes and some say no. I was hoping for a more definitive answer than that. I think I'll just stay with the starting battery for now and maybe go to a dual purpose if needed. Thanks for the help.
    Just out of curiosity, why were you considering a deep cycle battery in the first place? Maybe knowing exactly what you are trying to achieve will help you get better answers.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Mercury says to use a wet cell starting battery only.

Users here will have their own opinions and as many recommendations.

You will have to choose which path to follow grasshopper.

I chose a wet cell marine starting battery with 800CCA.
    Well stated. Mercury's position is that Maintenance Free, Deep Cycle, or AGM batteries should NOT be used with this type charging system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Firstly an 03 200 efi is a motorola 60 amp alternator system and should follow the same guidelines that Don pointed out for opti's

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    Firstly an 03 200 efi is a motorola 60 amp alternator system and should follow the same guidelines that Don pointed out for opti's
    Correct they are to use a AMG battery .Not a wet cell battery .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast